Apostacitis

by Rufus T. Firefly 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Rufus T. Firefly
    Rufus T. Firefly

‘Apostacitis’ is a term denoting a condition with which the Watchtower Society has become thoroughly infected, particularly since the year 1981 when sincere Christians who merely resigned from the organization over principled differences in belief became viewed the same as unrepentant wrongdoers (1 Cor. 5:11) and as those rejecting the good news about the Christ (2 John 9-11).

There was a time when news of one becoming an apostate was so rare among Witnesses that it sent shockwaves throughout the organization. However, since the mass expulsion of exemplary Christians from Bethel who dared to express sincere questions in private discussions, including Ray Franz, Edward Dunlap and Rene and Elsie Vazquez, the term apostate is tossed about so casually among Witnesses that it is downright alarming!

A certain devout JW, whom we’ll call David, once heard a rumor that his older brother, a longtime elder, was “practically an apostate.” About that time, the older brother’s family moved their publisher cards to another congregation where they continue as approved Witnesses to this day. With greater frequency David began to hear other Witnesses casually relating tales of former acquaintances becoming apostate, and he couldn’t help but wonder what was going on. Suddenly, David found himself in danger of being labeled an apostate by his local elders simply because he expressed a point of view in an assigned talk on the Ministry School which has been championed in Watchtower publications from 1983 down to today. In fact, it was after the particular point of view was confirmed in a letter from the US Branch office that David’s local elders informed him that he would be considered an apostate if he continued to express the viewpoint to others in the congregation. That’s right! The elders rejected the letter from the Branch! What’s more, the particular viewpoint David had expressed was not even a doctrinal matter!

David reasoned that if he could be labeled an apostate so easily, how many others had been unjustly judged to be apostates in the past. He ultimately thought of Raymond Franz, and it was then that he purchased and read Crisis of Conscience. David was stunned to learn how closely Franz’s experience mirrored his own. It was then that David determined to quietly fade away from the organization, even though his wife and the greater number of both of their families remain active. It wasn’t long until David found this discussion board, and he delights to read posts by others who have become soured on the organization but not on God, on Christ, or on God’s Word.

David says he feels like a 60-year old child who has just learned that there really is no Santa Claus.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Rufus: The elders rejected the letter from the Branch! What’s more, the particular viewpoint David had expressed was not even a doctrinal matter!

Interesting thread.

Out of curiousity, what was "the particular viewpoint" about?

• never a jw
    never a jw

Does David also go by the name of Rufus T. Firefly?

Welcome Rufus. I think you will be a valuable contributor.

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

So what really is the "apostacy" or "falling away" mentioned in 2nd Thessalonians?

An apostacy is simply, an abandonment of a previously held loyalty.

But loyalty to what?

Consider what Jesus Christ mentined about his loyalty to us:

Matthew 28:19-20

19 Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations,
    baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of
    the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have
    commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the
    conclusion of the system of things
    .”

Notice however, that Jesus Christs loyalty is conditional on our obeying his commandments.

Also notice that his baptismal commandment is mentioned immediately prior to his conditional loyalty.

So what happens if some reprehensible men actually have the audacity and presumption to re-invent Jesus Christs baptism!

They must think they are better than him!

Do they think they are also gods?

Is Jesus Christ "with them"?

Is it any wonder that people "fall away".

Even at the expense of losing ties to their own family and friends?

So what does Jesus Christ think of all this:

Luke 12:49-53

49 “I came to start a fire on the earth, and what more is there for me to wish if it has already been lighted?
    50 Indeed, I have a baptism with which to be baptized, and how I am being distressed until it is finished! 51
    Do YOU imagine I came to give peace on the earth? No, indeed, I tell YOU, but rather division. 52 For from now
    on there will be five in one house divided, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided,
    father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against [her] mother, mother-
    in-law against [her] daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against [her] mother-in-law.”

What!

Jesus Christ came to cause a division over his baptism that would start a fire!

And people are seperating themselves (falling away) at the expense of their own families?

Matthew 3:11-12

but the one coming after me is stronger than I am, whose sandals I am not fit to take off.
    That one will baptize YOU people with holy spirit and with fire. 12 His winnowing shovel
    is in his hand, and he will completely clean up his threshing floor, and will gather his
    wheat into the storehouse, but the chaff he will burn up with fire that cannot be put out.”

Everything the bible says is true!

Like I said before;

"The EX Jehovah's Witness community is THE key target audience of the bible"

The storehouse.

abe

• Rufus T. Firefly
    Rufus T. Firefly

"Does David also go by the name of Rufus T. Firefly?"

Yes, he does.

"Welcome!"

Thank you.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Welcome RUFUS T FIREFLY<=Best screen name ever!

Yes, apostacitis is just simply awful. My left big toenail is an absolute mess. I sometimes wonder if the whole damn thing will fall off some day

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Welcome.

Rufus, your story sounds strangely familiar. A lot like a friend of mine. His dad was ran through the ringer here in Colorado.

Again, Welcome… to the DARK side…

• Londo111
    Londo111

Welcome Rufus! Interesting experience!

• Rufus T. Firefly
    Rufus T. Firefly

OUBLETTE: Out of curiousity, what was "the particular viewpoint" about?

In his #3 talk on the Ministry School, David related that a young man told a JW, "I would like to become a JW, but I am a homosexual, and homosexuals cannot become JWs." The JW replied, "You might be surprised how many of JWs *are* homosexual. The issue is not one's sexual orientation but whether one will submit to God's view of fornication, which is, 'Flee from fornication.' (1 Cor. 6:18)" For the "theocratic" basis for the JW's response, read on.

“It is interesting that, according to dictionary definitions, homosexuality includes sexual DESIRE for others of one’s own sex. Yet the Bible makes a distinction between the practice of what is bad and sinful desires or tendencies. These desires may be present despite determined efforts to eradicate them from mind and body. Because of their earlier life environment, and perhaps other factors, we may have Christian brothers and sisters who from time to time have the urge for sexual relations with members of their own sex. But they fight that unnatural, Satan-inspired desire—and they do not give in to it. So they are not practicing homosexuals. They get control of their thinking, knowing that wrong desire that is allowed to grow fertile is bound to express itself in wrong acts.—James 1:14, 15; Colossians 3:5-10.

What is condemned by God in the Bible, and is a disfellowshipping offense, is the “erotic activity,” or ‘sexual behavior,’ directed toward another person of one’s own sex.” (From the June 1, 1983 Watchtower, page 25, under heading “What Is Homosexuality?”)

Like the term ‘heterosexual,’ the term ‘homosexual’ primarily denotes inclination or orientation rather than behavior. Thus, a heterosexual who remains chaste is nonetheless heterosexual in inclination or orientation. Likewise, a homosexual who remains chaste (by remaining celibate or by marrying in a heterosexual union) is nonetheless homosexual in inclination or orientation. Some cling to the homophobic notion that one is homosexual who actively engages in homosexual fornication.

“When the Bible condemns fornication, it is referring to both homosexual and heterosexual conduct. . . Christians are not homophobic.” (From the article How Can I Explain the Bible’s View of Homosexuality? in the December 2010 AWAKE!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit