Austria goes "German Only"

by Adam 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Adam
    Adam

I must be a glutton for punnishment or something, but here I go again, broaching the subject of speaking English in America.

Apparently a law was recently passed in Austria that people must satisfactorily pass a basic German language skills test in a few months or they will be fined. If they do not master basic German in 4 years, they can be kicked out of the country. Many people interviewed in the article mentioned that they are too poor to afford the classes. While I like the idea of the law being implimented in the US, it is simply not fair to the poor people who can't afford the classes. Then I had an idea. All that money that the Federal, State, County, and City Governments are spending on making street signs, voting ballots, DMV tests and a million other things multi-lingual could redirect the funds to pay for free English classes for the poor people who can't afford them. That way all US citizens could communicate with each other and people wouldn't end up being deported just cause they're poor. Just a thought.

Let the flaming begin, I've got my asbestos suit zipped up.

• LB
    LB

I'm sure you'll get flamed. But I'm with you on this one. But why the free english lessons? My parents immigrated here dirt poor and managed to learn to speak english while working and learning the customs here.

I personally would like to move to Fiji, have the goverment support me and give me a place to live all the while making certain everything is printed in English so I won't get confused.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Question: Are all citizens required to take the test, or persons who are not citizens must take the test to become citizens and stay?

• Adam
    Adam

ThiChi, I'm not sure. I just read the article in someone's post on another board. After looking closer at the article, it appears that the law has not yet been passed, it's just in the process and has some significan backing. Here is the link that was posted with the article. I haven't checked it out yet.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2...08,00.html

• voltaire
    voltaire

ADAM!!! WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!! I'M BEHIND YOU 100%. WE COULD DO THAT HERE. EVERYONE IN THE USA WHO DOESN'T SPEAK DECENT GERMAN IN 4 YEARS SHOULD BE KICKED OUT FOR GOOD!!!

• Adam
    Adam

Voltaire, I said "broaching the subject of speaking English in America" and "redirect the funds to pay for free English classes." And even if I hadn't specified English in my post, I would hope that people would have enough brain power to realize what I'm saying, you dolt.

ThiChi, what would be the difference? Do you think one group should and the other shouldn't have to learn the language? I'm curious.

• voltaire
    voltaire

ICH NICHT BIN EIN DOLT!!!! (See, I'm gonna getta stay, and you gonna hafta leave, nah nah!)

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Adam:

Well, if it is for all citizens, then the Government should provide training. However, if it is for non-citizens as a precondition to citizenship, then crying “poor” does not move me.

Many countries (like Mexico) require that you have an income before you can live and work in their country. It seems fair that you should be able to demonstrate that you will be a productive member of your new home. Notwithstanding the above, being able to communicate in the same language would contribute to this goal.

• LDH
    LDH

I don't know WHAT rock you all have been hiding under, LOL, but in the US *every* school district has adult learning available with free classes. Earn your GED or English as a Second Language.

And altho I love ya LB, I vehemently disagree witcha on this one.

WHY? Well, think about it. Half the AMERICANS can't even speak decent damn English. We gonna kick them out too? Including Johhny and Susie who live in the burbs and can't pass their high school exit exam?!?!?!

Perhaps you all should re-read the plaque on the bottom of The Statue of Liberty again and see who we have been inviting to the US for *DECADES.* This is the land of opportunity.

It's almost ALWAYS the elderly who can't speak English, their children are often bilingual by the age of four. Their children do most of the interpreting for them, so what's the problem?

There are MORE than enough programs (NOT WELFARE) for people of all income levels and ages and ethnicities that you can better yourself if you want to.

If you don't want the brown or yellow skinners speaking their own gobbledy-gook, volunteer to teach classes for your own school district. I'm SURE you'll see how 'high off the hog' most of those immigrants are living. [8>]

Lisa

• Adam
    Adam

Voltaire, bilden Sie dolt, Sie mich Urlaub nie, NIE! Ich verschiebe die leistungsfähigen, invisable Kräfte gegen Sie und erzwinge Ihre Verschiebung. HAHAHAHA!

LDH, what's the problem? The problem is that half the jobs I look for in the paper, that I am highly qualified for, say "must speak Spanish." The problem is that I have to repeat myself three or four times when going thru the drive thru or making a transaction at the bank or reserving a hotel room and my requests are still mishandled because the people in customer service don't understand the language. The problem is that I have no way to tell the landscaping guy not to spray weed killer this week because my girlfriend's daughter is going to be playing slip and slide on the lawn with her friends from out of town. If you don't consider those, and many others, problems than good for you. I guess I feel that I shouln't have to communicate using only hand jestures when I'm in my own neighborhood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit