Summary of WT Appeal Brief in Conti Case

by Chaserious 79 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• mind blown
    mind blown

Wow, in a way it seems contrary to advice given to a jury. Again, thanx

• Londo111
    Londo111

I noticed under Docket (Register of Actions), under the 3/29, 'Order Filed', it says, "Upon due consideration, appellant Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York, Inc.'s application to file an opening brief in excess of 14,000 words is granted."

Am I reading into things? Or could this somehow be a response to Candace asking for $1, 440.00?

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

14,000 is just the word limit set by California for an appeal brief unless you get approval to file a longer one. I can see how the number seems like it would not be a coincidence, though.

" A brief produced on a computer must not exceed 14,000 words, including footnotes ....

On application, the presiding justice may permit a longer brief for good cause."

http://www.courts.ca.gov/cms/rules/index.cfm?title=eight&linkid=rule8_204

• Londo111
    Londo111

Oh, I see--the word limit was 14,000 and they went in excess. I'd interpreted the sentence to mean they exceeded the word limit by 14,000 words. (Besides, to send a real message, I suppose it would have to be an 14,400 words over the limit). This is why I'm not good at reading these legal briefs.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

On the "special relationship" existing I wonder if the fact that both Candace and Kendricks had to report time spent in field service as an appoved associate of the Watchtower corporation has any bearing on deciding special interest exists?

• truthlover
    truthlover

As it seems in the appeal, the WTBTS is trying to put distance between them and the elders, DO's,CO's, etc... what about the April WT that shows the GB is directly receiving "spiritual light" from Jehovah himself--- sitting upon the Ezekiel vision, which in turn passes down to the rank and then to the congregatioon... wouldn't this show the courts that this is the thinking and they ARE responsible to the congregation to be either sued or found bloodguilty by members odf the congregation, if warning is not made to the congregation? Elders, Co's and DO's and the GB should be made aware of this - that they could lose their homes, savings, cars, etc. when found guilty of this misappropriation of trust and culpability for any information that could harm others in the congregations...

Take a look at the picture in the last study article. Sh... rolls downhill.

I could be off base but the picture is worth a thousand words

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think that the Corporation's teaching that all must engage in the door to door work or be blood guilty and not be spared from divine execution and the fact that Candace beleived this to be true put her in a special trusting relationship with the corporation and her publisher's record card is also strong evidence that she was placing herself at the Watchtower's control and authority and in a very special way. Certainly there must be some trust issues to prove fudiciary duty. The Governing Body CEOs of this corporation need to live up to their special assignment from God and look after the welfare of the children they control.

I think the court will not make a decision on the rightness or wrongness of biblical interpetation or challenge interpetation but merely use said interpetation to imply special relationship exists thus not interfearing with the freedom of religion clause in the Constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiduciary

A fiduciary is someone who has undertaken to act for and on behalf of another in a particular matter in circumstances which give rise to a relationship of trust and confidence. When a fiduciary duty is imposed, equity requires a different, arguably stricter, standard of behavior than the comparable tortiousduty of care at common law. It is said the fiduciary has a duty not to be in a situation where personal interests and fiduciary duty conflict, a duty not to be in a situation where his fiduciary duty conflicts with another fiduciary duty, and a duty not to profit from his fiduciary position without knowledge and consent. A fiduciary ideally would not have a conflict of interest. It has been said that fiduciaries must conduct themselves "at a level higher than that trodden by the crowd" [ 3 ] and that "[t]he distinguishing or overriding duty of a fiduciary is the obligation of undivided loyalty." [ 4 ]
  • bruh
    bruh

Ok--Is what's found at this link a different Candace Conti from last summer??? (may have to paste the link)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/us/28-million-awarded-in-jehovahs-witnesses-abuse-case.html

• jgnat
    jgnat

Same Candace. The case is now in appeal.

• LogCon
    LogCon

July 1, 1989 Body of Elders letter

II. POINTS TO REMEMBER

A. Appreciate the Importance of Maintaining Confidentiality Elders must exercise extraordinary caution when it comes to handling confidential information about the private lives of others. Do not mistakenly minimize the gravity of a breach of confidentiality.

To bad the wording did not read "Do not mistakenly minimize a child molestation."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit