AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

An organization that constantly changes course soon becomes a laughing stock.

Other organizations we are building alliances with (not to mention the Governing Body) will not take us seriously if we do a 180 every time a few people object to what we're doing on JWN.

Cedars .... Almost everyone here has expressed their approval of AAWA in every way, the only thing that many have made a suggestion about that is negative, is the name. You make the above statements concerning this one point, this seems to be fallacious reasoning. Almost everyone here is on your side and has first hand experience with the Watch Tower Organization. Doesn't this amount to a test audience? The first impression made by an organization is often the name, and the first impression it has made on many here on JWN should tell you something. Nobody is being critical or sarcastic of what AAWA stands for, and even those who have made suggestions about the name still express support of the endeavor.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Bandgalore - "What about publishing a press release that could be sent to media outlets?"

Not a bad idea.

• The Quiet One
  • The Quiet One
  • flipper
    flipper

CEDARS statement: " I'm a firm believer that once a decision is voted on, we stick to it. " No black & white reasoning here at all perhaps ?

I wish this organization the best, but I also feel it's best to keep an open mind and not be concerned about being a " laughing stock of Bethel " . I mean who cares what Bethel thinks ? Bethel is full of mind controlled idiots who will look down on any exiting Witnesses at any time. Nothing's gonna change that. It's an EX-JW association, we are usually going to be alleged " laughingstocks " anyway to Bethel idiots. I feel the main focus should be on HELPING exiting JW's to find relief and sanctuary thus my recommendation for the title adapting.

But hey ! Carry on. I'll dodge the slings and arrows now. Peace out, mr. Flipper

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I would like to say a few things:

1. I really want to thank the board of AAWA for all the work they have done in putting this all together. It is a ground-making project and they have pulled it together along with some people I am really glad to work with.
    2. Cedars did a phenomenal job with the video. I know I sent him a tiny little clip and he had to fit all those tiny clips together to make a stunning collage of comments that convey the message that there is now, after many decades, a united front willing to address all the ways the WTS' policies hurt people and they realized there was a need for support for those who have been hurt by those policies. It was an incredible job and he put hours and hours of work into it. You have wonderfully expressed your reactions to that work and to what AAWA wants to do over the next weeks, months and even years. My hat is off to you Cedars. Cedars won't be around today. He is off taking an well-deserved break so that he can come back and do even more incredible things.
    3. We are listening to you. What you have said here is being heard and will be discussed by us all. Some of your ideas have been absolutely wonderful. Some of those ideas were already on the drafting board so-to-speak but you have helped us refine those ideas and will continue to help us bring them alive. I think we will be going through this thread again and again to pull out those idea that we can work with so thank you so much. It is your energy and enthusiasm that will help AAWA fulfill its many goals. So please don't stop talking. As JWs we know we were all forced into a silent unity. But wow. You aren't silent now. You have found your voices and what is great is that you aren't working under a forced unity. We want to hear those voices. We may not agree but we will listen and take what you have to say seriously. It is out of those differences that we will continue our challenge for the WTS to change those hurtful policies.

Thank you again. Believe me your ideas have been heard and have been helpful. We are 3 days old. Hang on because there is more to come.

• maisha
    maisha

Personally I DO NOT LIKE the NAME.

It is not something i woud Run to assiociate myself with.

I like the members and their experience. and the concept, but that name is Terrible!.

Sorry but you can do much better.

change it while it is young....

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

@Lady Lee

What is Cedars actual legal involvement in the group since he is not a board member? Why is he the only one who seems to have control over the name of the group? I like the idea of this group for sure, and I can't imagine all the work and effort that has gone into this, but I am with many here who are concerned about the name. Why are our concerns about this particular matter invalid? No one seems to be answering this question other than what basically amounts to "because I said so," from Cedars.

I understand Cedars' comments about the need to stay on course in order to be taken seriously, but the group is only 3 days old. If a name change is a valid consideration, isn't it worth discussing and implementing now?

Best of luck to all of you, really. I am curious to see where this leads.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Cedars, you said, in part, about AAWA's Mission Statement: " nowhere does it say that we will use internet forums in our decision making process."

Well, that sounds reasonable. HOWEVER, you WILL and DO use internet forums to gather support for AAWA, to announce, advertise and promote AAWA, and to ask for volunteers and other help. And you've mentioned in a few other posts on this thread that you DID talk about AAWA on another forum to gather ideas for the name and to get feedback.

Once again, and apologies if this horse is long beaten and dead now, but for a person who actively runs a SURVEY website for the JW community, it does surprise me that more input wasn't gathered regarding this aspect. Anyhoo. It also sounds that in wanting to surprise many people with this, you neglected to inform some of your potential key supporters.

A few people have described this forum as "too bickery, too divided, too wild-west" -- yet it is the top forum on Google whenever JW topics and subjects come up. It has a huge following and yes, you'll get some odd or combative responses, but for the most part, this forum has been a treasure house of information, JW history, support, and help as well. This forum has many long-time active users and ex-Bethelites, elders, MS's, etc., who have great insights and experience.

I for one, value many of the people here and the level of thoughtful comments and themes which get discussed here. You get an oddball comment, or a derisive voice, but this does not detract from the main information and value.

Well. I suppose enough has been said. Have a good day, all. :)

• Scott77
    Scott77

"...Some anonymous individual visiting an internet forum, who could have a completely different agenda to that of AAWA, should not be allowed to shape the direction of our company whilst having absolutely no liability for its success or failure..."
    Cedars

Very excellent point of views. Cedars,that was my take out home and thank you. Let me make a little clarification as to what I meant by Jehovahs-witnesses.net. That name sounds like its jehovah's witnesses owned site. Therefore, when we search "Jehovah's witnesses" in the google, it tends to come up a head of Watchtower-owned site thus increasing wider internet exposure at the expense of our real enemy, the Watchtower. That is exactly what I had in mind when I suggested "The Association of Watchtower Activists". May be Iam not correct but if we type "Watchtower" in google, we may see the real Watchtower showing up as opposed to yours. The idea is to have wider exposure through search results appearing on the top. I know you guys are smart, that is the great thing.

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit