Don't Blame the Organization for Imperfect Humans

by ranmac 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ranmac
    ranmac

I think everyone here has heard this as a response to questioning or serious concerns about the religion. I think its a cowardly retort. A flimsy cop-out. Heres why. (Btw this is an espresso fueled rant so forgive the lousy writing)

Has anyone here ever heard a special needs talk about a real issue? Ive seen children singled out and publicly humiliated for smoking a cigarette, or for touching their girlfriends boobs. Basically JW kids are persecuted for being human adolescents, and yet, Ive never heard a public needs talk about child molesting, and theres been quite a few in the congregations Ive been in.

There are multitudes of reasons for all of us leaving the organization. Have any of these reasons ever been touched upon in talks or in the literature?

Take my own personal experience. My father was horribly unbalanced in his raising us in the "truth". To his credit he fully recognizes this and is sorry for it. He has even asked me to blame him and not the religion. A desperate and illogical attempt to get me back in. The thing he doesnt realize is that his behavior is not discouraged by the org, its encouraged. My dad was so paranoid about how we appeared to others. The magazines portray completely unreaching and disturbing ideals for how a true JW family should be. Parents will try to reach these ideals no matter what emotional and traumatic cost it has on their family. In the congregations my father tried to follow the example of head elders in our hall. All of these men have turned out to be complete failures with families that have fallen apart and appear to have no blessing from Jah for their rigid following of JW doctrines. My dad could have been a different person if he had immersed himself around balanced, human people. I can't help but think that if his religion had, at the very least, encouraged him to deal with personal issues, he would have been a happier person. Instead, its all about completely occupying all yours and your families life with fulfilling the demands and bullshit requirements of the cult and paying no heed to the real issues and happiness in your life.

Yes people are imperfect, but what is the society doing to help?

This cult doesnt give a shit about its members happiness.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

It doesn't! But, the thing is..the cult is still ruled by imperfect humans that changes it's teachings. Nevertheless all rank and file are supposed to obey and not question these imperfect men.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I don't blame the Borginization for the shortcomings of it's members..Although it is irksome and disappointing to find these things. the problems that I have with the movement are based on what is printed on the page - that is what really counts .

Of course it would help if they did not keep telling us how wonderful everybody was and how we should view appointed men as "stars" in the hand of Jesus!!!!!!!!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I agree with BluesBrother. It's most important to judge the organization by its leadership, the teachings they claim are guided by the holy spirit, and the values they emphasize (like obedience over love). My home congregation was very healthy and happy (as far as I could tell) and I was never given any cause for stumbling (well, maybe once). Thus, I tend not to find "problem" congregations a good reason for leaving the religion.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ran mac:

I got tired of the "imperfection" card being played again and again. I feel part of the reason they use this excuse is sheer arrogance. And, like you said, I also observed that certain type of behavior is encouraged.

I saw it go to their head. It is pathetic, really.

Other people there are just plain users and somebody like me had to run from them.

Everybody has different reasons why they left the religion. Some initially left because of doctrinal reasons and others walked away initially because of attitudes they would not tolerate.

• Emery
    Emery

Great post ranmac, it truly is amazing that the organization requests their members to give them full immunity yet doesn't provide the same in return. I immediately thought of this scripture while reading your post.

Matthew 7:3 " Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye but don't notice the log in your own eye?"

So why is it we "apostates" blame an organization run by imperfect humans? Because these imperfect humans choose to punish people for being imperfect. A silly and disgusting situation that should be exposed for the whole world to see.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Really enjoyed your post runmac and completely agree.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I don't blame the Org for imperfections of rank and file.

But imperfections are not what make life in the kingdom Hall hell for a family; unrealistic expectations passed from the leadership to rank and file do, expecting our children to be perfect does, forbidding them college does, making college attenders seem greedy and self centered does.

So does punishing teenagers to the max for minor sexual infractions, even for taking something to the elders they were too ashamed to admit previously.

What makes life horrible in the kingdom hall has everything to do with leadership; when an organization is rotten, it is always a matter of leadership, what they are or aren't doing.

The stagnation, pettiness and mental illness that is common in the kingdom halls is the end result of leaders who aren't leaders, but instead just poor managers.

• ranmac
    ranmac

Good comments.

Ive really tried not to blame peoples actions for my decisions in life. But I have to admit it has influenced me thru good decisions and bad. The main point I was trying to make is that the religion completely distracts and prevents people from improving themselves mentally and spiritualy in their lives. The fact the borg harshly disciplines its members makes it a sick cycle of abuse. Yes people are imperfect but the doctrines push weak people into being even worse.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

ranmac - quote : Ive never heard a public

needs talk about child molesting,and theres been

quite a few in the congregations Ive been in.

Here you strike at the core of this issue.

Its an insane world in the Kingdom Hall, where

men, with very limited formal education,

who during the day might be janitors or working at

minimum wage jobs, put on their suits and ties

and are transformed with titles like "elder" and sit in "committees"

listening to confessions of pedophiles or hearing abuse victims

plead for protection, then keep it all "secret" and hide the truth

from Child Protection, or proper legal authorities who could

intervene in these crimes and stop the abuse.

The wealthy elders cannot dirty their hands or involve themselves,

they tell you it is "out of their sphere of influence" and

"these are perilous times" They promise "it is being handled"

These people, the victims, are seen as the problem. Too "messy"

They do not fit the mold of the "happy healthy congregation"

The absolute vanity and arrogance of this little make-believe-world

in which how you dress, or if you have a beard, or if your lonely

little girl ( avoided by two parent familes )wants to join Brownies.

This becomes the "priority", no worldly friends for you, and none

in ANY congregation unless you are "In with the IN crowd "

A thousand little "rules" and sanctions, and implied rules,

and "suggestions" that if not taken will result in the most vulnearable,

the weakest, the most isolated ( like single moms) and teenagers,

will be scorned, ignored, marked, and further isolated, and these

petty cruelties so dominated the thinking of the whole congregation

that the pedophiles are never the issue. The man who beats his wife and

children, or worse punishments. For those of you who say you have a

" Healthy Happy Congregation" I ask you; Are you married ?

Is your husband an Elder ?

Does he have a business and make a lot of money ?

And his partners and customers are witnesses ?

Is your personal social circle made up of others in your same position ?

Do you befriend the poor ?

Do you include, problem, sad, isolated teens ?

Do you seek out single moms in you festivitities,

and parties, and holidays ?

Or do you secretly believe those that are suffering

are just "weak in the truth"

And the poor, dressed so shabby, well its really an

embarrassment isn't it ?

Thank goodness for money, and inherited wealth,

and the ability to simply not have to deal

with problematic people.

They are obviously the problem, not you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit