My experience with the "faithful and discreet slave"?

by Blttex 25 Replies latest social current

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

The difference in funerals highlights the difference in worldview: people as individuals v. people turned into identical borg drones

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

villagegirl:

I totally agree with you. I always felt the JW attitude towards life is just plain sick. Perfectly healthy people are squandering their present lives wishing their life away and letting it pass them by like sand slipping through their hands.

If you think about it, the JW belief is no different than other religions waiting for a "hereafter". Only in the JW's case, they are waiting for their "hereafter" on earth.

Our life is to be lived in the present and I do not believe it was any creator's plan for us to ring doorbells full-time and not carry on with the business of life. (Indeed, if there was a real world-wide warning work, the media would be more effective.)

We aren't supposed to waste this life waiting for the sand to run through the hourglass thinking we are going to get another one.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Hi and welcome Bittex. What a great story and thank you for bringing up the d word. Sometimes I get tired of the way people avoid it. My teenage daughter has been to eight funerals, all close family and friends including her own father. Some of us can't pretend it doesn't happen!

I tried to make her father's funeral totally about him and the peope who loved him. He stipulated he wanted a non-religious funeral in his will and we had a celebrant take the service. It was great to hear all the things he achieved in his life after leaving that religion. As you say it was a celebration of someone who had lived, really lived!

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I noticed that about JW funerals - very little heart, all according to a proscribed script, and aimed mostly at preaching to the 'worldly' attenders. I never really noticed it until last year when my 'unbelieving' mother came to a memorial out of respect for the sons of the family, who she knew through her work.

Some lovely things were said about the deceased, but there's no spontanaity from the heart as I believe they have a script to run from. I was embarrassed for my mum but she didn't mind it because it was short and not stressful for her.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

And welcome Bittex. The more the merrier! I wonder if we could find a Bible prophecy to point to this site?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

JW funerals are just WBT$ info-mercials.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit