Unfaithful In What Is Least; Psychoanalysis Invited

by TMS 11 Replies latest jw friends

• TMS
    TMS

My wife and I were longtime JWs. I was an elder for over 25 years and we had two stints of pioneering totally 14 years. While we considered ourselves loyal witnesses, looking back on it we had some independence working:

Lapel Cards: Sometime in the 80's we stopped wearing lapel cards, not only AFTER the assembly program, but during it. If I had a talk, I would wear the card on stage only if it was mandated.

Assigned Convention, Rooming: Not being able to get the correct week off work once, we were not able to attend our assigned district assembly. We enjoyed the one week of freedom from the congregation while they were at the designated convention AND the appeal of attending in a different locale an alternate week. That became our regular routine for our last years as JWs. If I had an assembly part, we would attend our assigned convention for that day only using a personal day from work, then get the rest of the program somewhere else. Since it was not our assigned assembly, we found our own rooms through a motel chain's discount program. We had clean, inexpensive rooms and were usually the only JWs at the motel.

Yearbooks, Calendars: While we always ordered the yearbook(1), we stopped ordering Watchtower calendars. We found them impractical because they did not show worldly holidays. While we didn't celebrate the holidays, that was important information with a child in school and at my job. "Worldly" calendars also had more room for notes, appointments, etc.

Convention Food: From the mid-70's my wife ALWAYS made a lunch for us even if were out of town. The instant the session ended, we said a prayer and ate our lunch. We then spent the rest of the lunch break roaming, visiting. This was a practice that some in our congregation noticed and copied. We never ate convention food during the hoagie, pastry, Shasta era.

Quickbuilds, remodels: I was never a fan of replacing suitable Kingdom Halls with a quickbuild or remodeling a perfectly fine building. Sometimes, I was the only dissenting vote on a circuit overseer mandated remodel. My favorite line was that I would support using the money for a third world hall, but not remodeling for the sake of remodeling a functional Kingdom Hall.

Kingdom Melodies recordings: Not a fan.

Were we bad or what?

tms

• finally awake
    finally awake

you dirty apostate! LOL isn't it crazy that such tiny little things are such big no-nos in JW land?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Those small liberties are signs that the mind is getting loose from the bonds. I too, got my own lodging at the last few assemblies i went to, went to restuarents before and after. I didn't care that we were counceled against going to some restaurents.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

The big thing that those little things corresponded to, for me, was reading franz' book. It was introduced to me by another jw, who some considered a borderliner. I didn't reject him because of that.

S

• TMS
    TMS

finally awake,

Yes, these were little rules but so stifling.

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

Nothing looks too bad to me, except not being a fan of the kingdom melodies, but I like classical type of music anyway.

NightOwl

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

You rebels....... Stand back... He has an attitude....

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

My mom used to pack our lunches throughout the 80s. Made absolutely awesome shit to eat, even out of a Coleman cooler. Then Dad would give me a few bucks worth of convention tickets. Id blow it all on cheese danish and Swiss miss Chocolate pudding.

I hated the badges from pre-teen through my elder years. I'd avoid wearing those things all the time, especially when it was time to go out to dinner. Nothing said cultist like wearing you stupid convention badge out to Applebees.

The hotels were another hot point in the years before I left. Wifey would run out and book the hotel after the meeting. I'd chastise her for not following the direction to wait until "business hours" like the letter said. During the last year when I was awakened I simply booked the nicest hotel right next to the convention site, of course it wasn't on the list. Lots of weird inquiries from loyal JWs that summer asking why we were at that hotel, when they were at the flea bag inns more than 20 minutes from town.

What a F&*^ing cult you are in when you get questioned about the hotel you are staying at!

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

tms: is this a joke? i once sacrificed a pig on the podium during the tms

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I have never worn a lapel card at the DC, and if I am going out to dinner afterwards I hate sitting with anyone who keeps them on. I don't have to worry about this anymore though.

I didn't even order the calendar, yearbook and daily text for 2013. It is all designed to ramp up the 'us vs them' mentality and keep everyone busy, indoctrinated and burdened with guilt and expectation.

The daily text is one scripture followed by a chunk of WT article that often has nothing to do with the related text. When they say read the bible daily, they actually mean read the WT daily. I always felt bad about how often I didn't use the daily text book, now I am glad I didn't read it very often. I can see clearly how it is designed to keep everyone's mind controlled, it has a real cult flavour to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit