The Seeker Speaks

by Farkel 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

"When a person does what he always does, he will get what he always gets."

Wise words, those. I have discovered after six-and-a-half decades that those who say they have found the truth, the way, the path for themselves AND for all mankind, they are full of shit. If it were only that easy.

I have explored and tested JWism, regular Christianity including Protestantism and Catholicism (bunch of shit), Judism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Muslimism (a gigantic pile of shit), agnosticism, deism, humanism, pantheism, taoism, Confucionism, hedonism, nihilism, existentialism, and a host of other isms. I was a huge fan of "est" for 4 years. I seriously considered being an anarchist until I found out they had too many rules! I was never an atheist, though. I didn't want to piss off my imaginary friend.

I've read the "holy books": Bible, Koran, Tao te Ching, Baghavad Gita, Watchtower (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!), Jonathan Livingston Segal and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Throughout this arduous process what have I learned? Not a goddamned thing, that's what. That is a beautiful thing, however. I HAVE learned that if we keep seeking we have not failed and then we die still seeking. If we quit seeking we have failed and then we die anyway and more clueless for lack of seeking.

If we find something that works in our lives, then wonderful, but if we then stop seeking for something even more wonderful, then we are fools and have possibly or probably fooled ourselves.

We'll have plenty of time to quit seeking when we become food for beetles. Until then, rock on!

Hint: the moment you think you have found "it" in life, is the moment you become an insufferable fool.

Farkel

• Satanus
    Satanus

All that seeking hasn't cured your dogmatism, ie, your way is the way.

S

• Farkel
    Farkel

satanus,

: All that seeking hasn't cured your dogmatism, ie, your way is the way.

I had assumed that my readers wouldn't have reading comprehension problems. I guess I was wrong about you.

Farkel

• zeb
    zeb

was too busy raising kids and paying the mortgage but all the best to you...

• Decided
    Decided

Hi Farkel. I have given up looking for a God, my mind just won't invent one for me. Life and the universe is just a mystery for me. My health is going kaplunk and at 77 I don't see anything but death in the future. Everything I can see just lives a few years and then dies, plants and animals and humans.

I can't seem to find anything to enjoy like I did when I was young. Everything around me is breaking down, my cars, house, part of my family. Well maybe not all is bad, I have a new granddaughter who is so sweet and loving. I worry about her future in this dying world.

Well, I must go now, it's time for her to be delivered here, we keep her while her mother works.

Ken P.

• stillin
    stillin

What about "the man who doesn't take a stand for something will fall for anything?"

i realize that I was insufferable as a believing JW, but I felt that what I had acquired along the way about other belief systems, both before and during my stint as a Witness, added to my net worth.

well spoken, Farkel. I love it when you rant.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

That's not a rant by the great Farkel standards, that is simply Freewheelin' Farkel, now, when he gets on full throttle and the Turbo kicks in, that is a rant !

Good to see you posting Farkel Sir, and I agree, everything you identified as shit, is shit. You didn't mention much New Age type mumbo-jumbo,

that's shit too !

I have ceased to have beliefs, in the sense of trusting that somethng is true with no testable proof, but I still seek knowledge, and seek out the thoughts of clear thinking folks, like a number of the modern philosophers, not always pure gold, their pronouncements, but far from shit.

• Decided
    Decided

This is not true when a person is 77 and has BHP. I try sometimes but can't get what I used to. Maybe I should try one of those pills.

Ken P.

• Sulla
    Sulla

I have ceased to have beliefs, in the sense of trusting that somethng is true with no testable proof...

Except that, I hope there exist people whom you believe love you, even though there isn't an empirical test for this. Actually, there are so many empiricists now who actually believe love doesn't exist that perhaps you are one of these, as well.

As for the OP, that's just sophomoric prattle. Not so much wrong as, well, sophomoric. It reads like the thought process for a freshman philosophy paper rather than the reflection of a sexagenarian, wise from his travels.

• Farkel
    Farkel

sulla wrote:

:I have ceased to have beliefs, in the sense of trusting that somethng is true with no testable proof...

:Except that, I hope there exist people whom you believe love you, even though there isn't an empirical test for this. Actually, there are so many empiricists now who actually believe love doesn't exist that perhaps you are one of these, as well.

Except that, I never wrote those words, so you not only made a strawman argument, you made up shit I didn't write.

:As for the OP, that's just sophomoric prattle. Not so much wrong as, well, sophomoric. It reads like the thought process for a freshman philosophy paper rather than the reflection of a sexagenarian, wise from his travels.

If you know what kind of prattle a freshman philosopher and a sexagenarian experience, then you must have been both. However, I suspect you are more sophomoric than sexagenerian. I've been both and a knew a LOT more when I was sophomoric than I do now.

Just like you think you do.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit