Memorial attendance down?

by TweetieBird 22 Replies latest jw friends

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Last night 3 congregations met at the assembly hall for the memorial. There were just a little over 800 there which really surprised me. In past years every congregation around here usually had at least 300 in attendance. Did anyone else notice a decline in attendance?

I spoke to my mom and she said that they had just a little over 200 at hers.

• Wren
    Wren

Yes, the report here is three areas invited could not fill one TINY KH. From the 90's it's down from 2 small KHs and a tie in to one KH. One area lost all pbs and the other KH is no longer used for lack of pbs. The remaining KH is constantly on the verge of disbanding over internal conflicts and total stagnation to say the least. I was surprized that the Branch Overseer himself traveled hundreds of miles to give the talk last night.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Don't count on it. My friend, who went last night, told me the KH was packed, about 300 there. Same as every year. Mom did the phone link, in her bedroom. Gag.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

There seemed to be more than years past at the one I attended.I was surprised at some of those who came out of the woodwork.

"I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger.....Ooh La La,,,"

• JT
    JT

for the most part even the worst jw will find away to make it to the Hall.

so while the numbers will be high again the fact remains that in most area the over the normal hall attendance is due to OLD INACTIVE . DF JW coming to the hall,

along with a ton of jw kids who never got baptized yet feel that "I must at least attend the momorial"

so when you see 6 million jw and 15 million attend the memorail we used to say:

"Brothers look at the potential of new servants of jah"

when it fact they were mostly inactive/jw families who never will accept the wt , just came to keep cousin sally quiet

and this is what concerns the wt the number has gone from about 10million to what about 15million and the 6 million number has barely moved

SOUND LIKE LOTS OF RICE CHRISTIANS TO ME

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

I would like to see the final number that attended. up or down?

• fodeja
    fodeja

Memorial attendance is, for reasons I don't understand, pretty much uncorrelated to all other JW statistics. Many, many countries have had a constant decline in publishers and service hours over the past ten years, but randomly changing memorial attendance (sometimes up, sometimes down) during the same period.

In other words, it does not matter whether memorial attendance is up or down n percent. If you see baptisms, publishers, and service hours as the relevant figures, that is.

f.

p.s.: As usual, JT has it right: "rice Christians" pretty much says it all.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Once again JT has nailed it.

Take just my immediate family, spouses and kids.

2 Active Witnesses
    16 Likely Memorial attendees

If I took this out to my extended family through 1st cousins and their families it would be.

15 Active Witnesses
    50 Likely Memorial attendees

Lots of inactives, spouses, kids, etc. etc. etc.

None of the 14 immediate family inactives or 35 extended family inactives are very likely to change their status as this has been their status for years and years.

Its an interesting dynamic to observe. If I was a marketing strategist for the Watchtower I would advise them to hold some focus groups with these inactives.

Joel

• messenger
    messenger

I believe the attendance will be up this year as a reprucussion of 9-11, many will think, "what the hell if I make it this year maybe Jehovah won't kill me." I believe the more realistic numbers will be next memorial when they have had more time to think about it and the WT has done all the milking the can do on the WTC disaster.

• Aaac
    Aaac

In its statistics, WTS is more and more using the figure of Memorial attendance. It is natural, because this will more likely impress readers and authorities. So no more talk about "Christendom's" hypocricy about telling their attendant numbers instead of active members??

Aaac

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit