Why Did You Get Baptised

by God_Delusion 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• jam
    jam

The wife told me, if you don,t get baptised i will beat the

devil out of you. But seriously I still don,t know.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

For the life of me, i don't really know.

i was about 18, i dont remember the date at all. I think it was just the culmination of all that i was ''supposed'' to do. I think it may have involved a little bit of a drawcard for girls...you know, ''oooh he's baptised''. I think though it had as much do do with just going with the flow, it's just what one did.

dumb arse me...was the pattern for the next 22 years

Oz

• recovering
    recovering

I got baptised to make a dying man happy. It was my father, and i was only 12 years old. He died 2 months later. I did not even understand the baptismal questions. the elder coached me through them. So sad that they hold me to a commitment that i did not understand. In my country minors can not be held to contracts (US)

• James Brown
    James Brown

Armegeddon was comming and you had to get baptized to be saved.

I believed it, I didn't know any better. I was born and raised in the organization.

But 1976 came and freed me.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I was a new convert and because of me,so was she ,and we wanted to get married in a Kingdom Hall , so we both had to get dunked , which was about 3 months before we got married .

smiddy

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It was all about momentum. The scumbags dragging me into the cancer contrived the whole thing--from the study, to attending all the boasting sessions, to joining the Theocraptic Miserh "School(??)", to field circus, to getting baptized--and wanted me to pious-sneer and live in poverty doing so. There was no graceful way to slow down and hold off baptism, since joke-hova was supposedly about to destroy those who were sitting and waiting. No time to stand back and analyze what you are getting into. No time to rationally discuss whether the religion was right, or even what it claimed to be (a pure Christian religion that follows the LIE-ble where other Christian religions don't).

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I did it because I really thought it was the right thing to do. I started associating with JWs when I was 15, much to my parents' upset, and got baptised at 19. I so badly loved God and wanted to dedicate myself to Him. I still serve Him, and have now come to have a relationship with Lord Jesus whom I love so much.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

" The whole JW thing for me was a kind of rebellion against my parents. It gave me acceptance that I did not get at home. At the time, believe it or not, being a dub actually improved my life. I got acceptance and friendship from my peers, praise from my elders, time away from home (meetings and service were a pleasure compared to our home life), eating out after service, and travel to assemblies in different locations."

The social thing was big for me too. I didn't have many friends in high school and here I had heaps of people who loved me. I'm still friends with them. They don't know I'm a closet "apostate".

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

I got baptised when I was 16. Was already having doubts at the time and I didn't go in as a strong believer. I suppose it was to appease my family and because of pressure from the congregation and family. I didn't feel much different after it happened; I just wanted mostly my family to stop bugging me about it.

• iarts
    iarts

So God wouldn't kill me at Armageddon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit