Ireland apologizes to women of Catholic laundries

by designs 17 Replies latest social current

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I want to point out that Roman Catholic nuns cut their own hair and keep it very short and plain. I'm not saying it was okay for the nuns to cut the other women's hair. If you look at photos of the laundries, the women do have hair.

• designs
    designs

Maybe the new Irish government thought it was the best of imperfect choices. 'Penance' can go to extremes, especially among the religious who have practiced ritual self inflicted pain and wounds and self-denial.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It definitely was taken to an extreme. Sometime, read about how different orders of nuns were initiated. I read once about how a young nun had to lay in a splintery pine coffin for hours. Most nuns don't do that kind of thing now. You're right though, they were pretty cruel to themselves, too. Sad.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I did not know about these women. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Just Lois

• designs
    designs

JL-

I am not certain if the film was shown in the US. Several News sources carried the Prime Minister's statement that the Irish government felt more was needed than an official apology. Maybe the extra mile the government is going to is meant to send a message to the Catholic Church as well. The documentary Mea Culpa, describing the child abuse issue, is currently being shown on HBO and other cable outlets.

• 88JM
    88JM

In a radio interview, I heard one of the poor women mentioning despite her treatment not being as bad as many others, and only being there for a few months, she still needed years of counselling afterwards. It really made me think just how fragile we can all be, and never to underestimate the effects these situations can have long-term.

• designs
    designs

88JM- I think some who have been in the Bethel homes may relate. Not all received horrible treatment but somehow something just wasn't right and many have traumatic memories and health issues from their time in those places.

• 88JM
    88JM

Yes that was my thought exactly, but I didn't want to make the comparison.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit