Whatever happened to the "Fall of Babylon the Great" and the "drying up of the churches?

by villagegirl 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS. has always been about printing Bullshit and searching for people who will read,

believed, who want to distribute their literature publicly

and finally give money to the organization.

The printing of BS comes first and always first though.

When you think about it, its has been this way right from the very beginning with C T Russell.

The trick of course is always infuse the idea that god has specifically chosen the WTS. to interpret

the bible and proliferate its true understanding.

Sometimes its more of how you sell toward people rather than what your selling.

• designs
    designs

If you lived in Norway or Finland you'd think the demise of religion is going swimmingly, crazy ol USA is religion's playground

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Thats because Charlatanism is so much easier in the States than anywhere else in the world.

Its the combination of freedom of religion and money that makes the States the country to set up and operate in.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

check under that old rug.......... you will find a pile of old abandoned techings there, and room for many more........

• mrquik
    mrquik

Never had a problem with God crushing all manmade religions. I find it ironic that the WBTS will be leading that parade.

• Mum
    Mum

I remember "studying" the Babylon book, as we called it. It was during the 1975 frenzy, and we thought the world would be ending soon. To think, I could have spent my time learning a language, taking music lessons, studying trig, but NOOOOOO!

• blondie
    blondie

*** jr (Jeremiah book 2010) chap. 13 p. 165 par. 21 “Jehovah Has Done What He Had in Mind” ***

Among the prophecies spoken by Jeremiah and fulfilled in modern times was one about the fall of a great empire—the world empire of false religion, “Babylon the Great.” (Rev. 14:8; 17:1, 2, 5; Jer. 50:2; 51:8) God’s people would have to “get out of her” so as not to share her fate. (Rev. 18:2, 4; Jer. 51:6) The waters of that city, symbolizing her peoples, or adherents, would “dry up.”—Jer. 51:36; Rev. 16:12.

The Society has mentioned this less and less because while some mainstream religions might be losing members others are increasing by leaps and bounds. jws tend to forget that Babylon the Great is said to consist of all non-jw religions not just "Christendom."

1988 Revelation Climax

*** re chap. 32 pp. 229-230 par. 22 God’s Anger Brought to a Finish ***

Babylon the Great “sits on many waters.” According to Revelation 17:1, 15, these symbolize “peoples and crowds and nations and tongues”—hordes of adherents that she has regarded as a protection. But the “waters” are drying up! In Western Europe, where formerly she had great influence, hundreds of millions have openly ignored religion. In some lands, for many years there was a declared policy to try to destroy the influence of religion. The masses in those lands have not risen up on her behalf. Similarly, when the time comes for Babylon the Great to be destroyed, the dwindling number of her adherents will prove to be no protection at all. (Revelation 17:16) Though she claims a membership of thousands of millions, Babylon the Great will find herself defenseless against “the kings from the rising of the sun.”

*** w89 4/15 pp. 7-8 par. 11 The Infamous Harlot—Her Fall ***

Let us turn in our Bibles to Revelation 17:1, 2. Here an angel addresses the apostle John and, through him, students of prophecy today, saying: “Come, I will show you the judgment upon the great harlot who sits on many waters, with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, whereas those who inhabit the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication.” The term “many waters” refers to the turbulent masses of mankind, so long oppressed by the great harlot.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its only logical that name Babylon would be used since that empire was the most documented enemy

of the ancient Hebrew nation.

Of course the WTS. created just another element of their self supporting propaganda to point out that all other

religions are duly false corrupt religions but theirs is completely truthful and because of that, godly chosen.

With us you get everlasting life, with them you get death and destruction.

After looking back at the WTS. and its entire history the suggestion which religion is false and which one is true, becomes distinctly blurred.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I love this JW doctrine personally. Everytime a JW relative hounds me about "doing more" I just say well the "Slave says Babylon has to fall first"...looks like it is till going strong...they shut up. If they argue...it is fun to say....that sounds APOSTATE!

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Balaamsass - LOL - Love it - "that sounds Apostate "

So-called 'Babylon the Great' seems to be doing just fine

with all those Mega Evangelical Churches with congregations of

thousands, Willington Church in Burnaby has 1,600 people attending,

each service on Sunday, and they hold three services.

They have a full on Music Team and social activities for Teens,

Seniors, Children, and all sorts of outings and camp outs and

they serve of course , coffee and snacks before and after services,

the place is always packed as are other large Evangelical Churches,

in Vancouver. They have small groups, home studies, as well,

counseling services, outreach to the needy.

They give furniture and household items to those in need

and have a home for unwed mothers. The do missions of all kinds.

And sports and social events.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit