So, is this present life it??

by Monsieur 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

If there is a possibility that God himself as we thought he was is not real, then,

Is this it? is our current and present life, (the daily one we live, not necessarily our aspirations) all there really is?

What do we have to look foward to if we are aware that we are not infinite. What happens to our relationships we've built and developed with close friends and more so our family?? If our time alive is this brief (and becoming more so the more i ponder on it) do our efforts to become 'something' while we are alive become 'silly' ideas only glorified in our own minds?

what constitutes an activity as worthwile? is there even such a thing if years after our death it makes no difference, and even later we are pretty much forgotten?

was Solomon onto something when he said (if he said it) - it's all a vanity, and an effort against the wind.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes this is it.

We are here, that makes us one of the lucky ones.

Ecclesiastes contains more wisdom than the rest of the bible combined.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Find inner peace as we dont float off to the big pimp daddy in the sky at death.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The Jews find satisfaction with one life. Their heritage lives on through their children. Which might explain the importance of preserving one's "name". (Psalm 45:17, Isaiah 56:5).

Solomon also talked about the only way to find comfort in our earthly life. (Ecclesiastes 2:24).

It has occurred to me that immortality can also be gained through writing.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I understand how you feel Monsieur, I felt exactly the same once I had been jolted in to confronting my own mortality after leaving the WT.

The problem for a born-in like me was that I had never wrestled with such thoughts before, most normal people with normal upbringings ask the questions and find answers for themselves at an early age. JW's always think they are going to cheat death, so don't have to think as you are doing.

What I found of immense help was reading stuff by Humanists and some of the Existentialists, it gives you a different perspective.

I also found it helpful to go to Humanist meetings and meet and observe others who had no belief in an afterlife. I found people with a joy of life, a positive attitude, working hard for the benefit of their fellow man.

It certainly is not " all vanity" , pointless, the life you have now has immense importance, it is the only one you can be sure of, making your life in to a success means you can add to the joy and comfort of others , as well as feel fulfilled yourself.

Many are remembered years after their death for what good things they have done, even if you do not make the Big League you will have done well if you live your life by the Golden Rule and promote compassion and understanding.

Live your life to the full ! If perchance there were an Afterlife that would be a bonus, if not, you have not wasted this life.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

good news: jehovah is a god of the living not of the dead, he is the god of abraham iaasic and jacob, this life is not all, jesus is the resurrection and the life, the though that this is it, and there is nothing that can be done is so cruel, it goes against human nature.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

thanks all for responding,

phizzy

i had read some on existentilism well before all this (questioning and searching), i seem to gather from this 'concept' that one must find order and meaning in one's life and even rise to a self-defined notion of heroism. But i find that to do this completely, one must focus exclusively on well, him or herself, thus becoming a borderline 'selfish' venture. this could easily lead to, in my experience, a lot of depression (focusing on one's self completely). I don't know, it could be the way to go or not, I'll find out one day perhaps.

can what we build really and trully outlast us? wouldn't that require that we remain conscious of those 'effects'? if we are not, due to death, then again, was Solomon onto something here?

• jgnat
    jgnat

If death is it, there is no way to know if your legacy outlasts you. It could, though.

I got the sense from the existentialists that all is meaningless, and the best one can get is experience. That is a pretty close reflection of Ecclesiastes.

In the book:

The Time Paradox: The New Psychology of Time That Will Change Your Life by Philip Zimbardo and John Boyd (Jul 7, 2009)

The research suggests that the happiest people are those who preserve warm memories of their past, enjoy a hedonistic present, and plan for the immediate future.

Zimbardo does describe the religious who defer happiness to an indeterminate future after death. It seems to me this would prevent them from grabbing the moment.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

If there is a possibility that God himself as we thought he was is not real, then, Yes. The truth hurts and the universe doesn’t care about us. The non existence of god is proven by his failure to effectively communicate. If there is something after this life we’ll find out when we get there…….or not.

Is this it? is our current and present life, (the daily one we live, not necessarily our aspirations) all there really is? We better get used to it. No sense in idling away waiting for pie in the sky or some other cozy dream delusion.

What do we have to look foward to if we are aware that we are not infinite. Just live life as best as you can. Enjoy the moment. You won’t know a thing when you’re dead.

What happens to our relationships we've built and developed with close friends and more so our family?? Just memories lost in time. Faded over the years then gone forever.

If our time alive is this brief (and becoming more so the more i ponder on it) do our efforts to become 'something' while we are alive become 'silly' ideas only glorified in our own minds? Possibly but on the same token we are creatures that need ambition. There’s nothing wrong with striving for better.

what constitutes an activity as worthwhile? This is your own choice. The path you chose that works for you.

is there even such a thing if years after our death it makes no difference, and even later we are pretty much forgotten? Will you even care? I won’t.

was Solomon onto something when he said (if he said it) - it's all a vanity, and an effort against the wind. Solomon (if there’s even evidence he existed), was an idiot, just ignore him. He believed his own hype because all his suck ups told him he was great. He was an idiot like his father.

Fret not. The universe isn’t fair just because we hope it is. Live life, enjoy it. Hurt no one (unless it’s a governing body member. In that case do what you want).

We may or may not find the answers after we pop our clogs.

It took me a while but I’m becoming settled with the fact that god doesn’t exist now. No. I don’t like it but I can make god exist just because I want him there. We face facts. We soldier on!

• wasblind
    wasblind

If there is a possibility that God himself as we thought he was is not real, then,

Is this it? is our current and present life, (the daily one we live, not necessarily our aspirations) all there really is?

I think It's a fool hardy thing not to enjoy the first gift given (life) and then expect to be rewarded wit another

Question: Should a person expect another gift, after they complained about the first one ?

If your not sure about a tomorrow, live today as if it's your last

What do we have to look foward to if we are aware that we are not infinite.

Look forward to the next day , and the chance to do somethin' wit it

What happens to our relationships we've built and developed with close friends and more so our family??

What counts is what happens in those relationships while your alive

If our time alive is this brief (and becoming more so the more i ponder on it) do our efforts to become 'something' while we are alive become 'silly' ideas only glorified in our own minds?

Compare your life to a gift. It's yours. make an effort to open that gift. It would be 'silly' not to

what constitutes an activity as worthwile?

The feelin' you get when you look back wit satisfaction

is there even such a thing if years after our death it makes no difference, and even later we are pretty much forgotten?

Trust, I have yet to see a dead man worry about that

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit