The moment the light went on in this newbies head!

by awakening 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• awakening
    awakening

I always knew as a kid TT wasnt for me. I did not know TTATT but how could something thats supposed to be warm, loving and beneficial feel so wrong? The light went on when I happened to be watching some chat show that had a family of white supremecists on. By all appearances this family were well mannered and looked like the model family unit. The daughter was aged 9 or ten and came out with a statment that left me speechless. She was asked how she interacted with black children her age. She said that they would not associate with them but would politely refuse any social interaction with them, they would remain seperate. The audiance gasped at this revelation. It seemed so wrong to me that a child this age was tought this kind of philosophy.

But hang on a minute! was I not using the exact same rhetoric in my life as a young witness along with many thousands of witness children around the world?

I mentioned this programme to an elder on the ministry a few days later and he said he was appalled that such a young kid as this example could hold such a view, wasnt the world advancing from bad to worse! I didnt have the courage to point out the obvious!

The next lightbulb moment happened years later involving a serial abuser in our hall. I do not yet have the courage to write about that awful episode... soon.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Welcome, good example of critical thinking and how it exposes the flaws in WT/JW "theology."

I look forward to your future posts!

00DAD

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, the conscious class keeps on growing, another newbie introduction post! Welcome, awakening. I wish I'd had the ability to see Witnesses from another perspective like you did from a younger age. For me, one lightbulb moment was when I heard a farfetched story related in our car group. I tried Googling it to see if I could confirm one part of it, and found it online as an urban legend, except with the Witnesses replaced with another marginalized group. It helped me to see that the JWs had the same superstitious and gullible attitudes as people in other minority/cult-like groups. That started me wondering whether the Witnesses were really a special group out of the whole world, or just thought they were.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Warm Welcome Awakening, looking forward to your future posts. Leslie

• free and happy
    free and happy

Welcome Awakening Looking forward to the rest of your experiences. I`m new too!

• irondork
    irondork

I do not yet have the courage to write about that awful episode

Baby steps!

Good to have you with us.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I totally get what you are saying but the comparison of the child rejecting someone simply because of his race is not the same as choosing not to associate with someone when they demonstrate behavior,morals or core beliefs that may undermine your own personal goals. It is however unfair to assume so much bad about others you haven't even met, simply because they don't go to the Kingdom Hall. Talk about judging .....

• exwhyzee
  • exwhyzee
  • exwhyzee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit