Old People Should Hurry Up and Die - says the New Japanese Finance Minister

by fulltimestudent 52 Replies latest social current

• wasblind
    wasblind

Sulla,

I'd be a fool to ignore the motivation behind some of the laws that are put in place

As I stated before, The last time I checked, no one forced that black girl to abort her child

The right to choose should not be taken away jus' because of those who abuse that right

and tax payers should not foot the bill for such , When there is prevention

Family plannin' clinics, that help to educate young women in preventive care, have been the

target of the Right Wing.

What the Right Wing wants to do is no better than Eugenics,

They are trynna take away the right to choose from the lower class

In North Carolina the lower classed whites were also targeted for Eugenics

Yes, the majority were black, because the state thought it would be better to

kill off blacks rather than to give them an equal opportunity back in 1929

today , we have laws for equality, but the sad fact is, some still find ways

to get around those laws

And yes. As of today, and the last time I checked . That young womans birth control or her indifference to it, and her sexual activity is HER CHOICE

feel free to point out where she was forced to do or not do either one

• Sulla
    Sulla

You really think a 15 year old girl is exercising an informed choice when she gets an abortion? We don't think she can appropriately exercise free choice to buy a beer, but you suppose the right to choose is a meaningful concept with a terrified child. And if you think nobody forces these young girls to get abortions then you don't know very much about their lives. We can't know about her specific case, but very often the men who exploit these girls (yes, a 15 year old is a girl) are pressured into exactly this sort of thing.

As for the family planning: it cannot be true that anyone in NYC fails to understand how a condom works. That it is not used is for the specific reason that boys don't like them. Again, the culture in which she must live takes away meaningful choices all the time.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well, there goes my plans for retiring in Japan in my senior years.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Sulla, regaurdless of ones circumstance, they still have a choice

Yes, it is harder for some to climb out. But it starts wit a choice

I am a mother , of African American descent.

I have a daughter in her early twenties, we are not rich

by no means

She chose to go to college, chose to study abroad, chose to Join a co-ed fraternity

recieved a deans award for her efforts, and chose to visited other countries while she studied abroad

Question: Are you really talkin' "Culture" or about the fact that fifteen year old is Black

because MY daughter have been " Cultivated" very well . And She is Black

• Sulla
    Sulla

I'm suggesting, wasblind, that your influence on your daughter is of precisely the sort that the 17 year old in the article lacks. The choices your daughter has made are possible (well, made much more likely) by your guidance and by the social capital you are able to share. You know better than I how profoundly the social capital of American blacks has historically guided and molded the next generation -- and this is true even though most African American families have had lower incomes than their white neighbors.

But the profoundly broken cultures in which many black girls -- and for that matter, a large number of white girls -- live leaves them vulnerable to exploitation from many directions. Simply put, the social capital that you provide for your daughter which enables her to make real choices does not exist for these others. The kind of choices your daughter has made -- to go to school, study hard, work, etc. -- have certainly required hard work; for these others, it would require a miracle.

I don't thnk we can speak of meaningful choices when one set of decisions requires miracles and heroic virtue. Those are pretty rare.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Sulla, let's stop this conversation . Stop.

For one thing , you still have yet to answer what men exploited that 15 year old black girl

and then forced her to have an abortion? I needed you to make youself clear on that

and you didn't. You paint everything wit' a broad brush

And now you have the balls to assume that my daughter was able to do these things

because of my " social capital " .

Excuse me, I have to run and catch my ass, cuz I jus' laughed it off

Yes I know better than you what black folk have to face

I've live it everyday

You don't know JACK about my "social capital." But I"ll gladly tell you that because of my daughters

choices, and efforts she earned scholarships to do the things she chose to do

And the things which enabled my daughter to succeed is also available

to other black girls And it started wit' a choice

I'm not the only black parent that gave guidance to her child. But it's up to that

child to make the choice of what they want for THEMSELVES

Do yourself a favor , check out some college campuses

see how many blacks attend . Don't use your fingers

and toes to count. Trust. you'll run out

When you use the word " Culture " it seems to me that you are sayin'

this fifteen year old represents the black culture as a whole

Are you sayin' that it takes a miracle for black folk to learn any better because it's cultural ?

Seems to me your sayin' that EVERY black household is exactly the same because of this . EXPLAIN

Are you sayin' that many blacks who are born in poorer households won't do better

because it'll take a miracle . Because black folk don't strive to teach their kids better

because it's their " Culture "

Sulla , I'm askin' you to drop this, cuz it's evident you speak only on the

things you assume. And not lived through

Edit :

One thing that irks me. Is how folks pretend to be all scholarly

But come off dumb as a card board box

One thing about me, I don't prentend to be all scholary

or even the brightest light on the tree

I have no more than a high school education myself

and have yet to try and pretend to be somethin' that I am not

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

But the profoundly broken cultures in which many black girls -- and for that matter, a large number of white girls -- live leaves them vulnerable to exploitation from many directions. Simply put, the social capital that you provide for your daughter which enables her to make real choices does not exist for these others. The kind of choices your daughter has made -- to go to school, study hard, work, etc. -- have certainly required hard work; for these others, it would require a miracle.

Sulla: I'm trying to understand your position. As you note above, these girls are under tremendous economic and societal pressures. Do you then want to deny them abortion and force an unwanted child upon them? Or are you simply pointing out that the problem is complex and solutions earlier than abortion are necessary?

• wasblind
    wasblind

As for myself, I am very aware of the complexities ( Hurdles )

folks have to face. My daughter woulda been hard pressed

to give up because of the hurdles

That' just as bad as a Jehovah's Witness "Waitin' on the Kingdom "

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Sulla, regaurdless of ones circumstance, they still have a choice Yes, it is harder for some to climb out. But it starts wit a choice

What is MOST important to recognize is that the circumstances that one lives in is often the result of the choices made. ALL the circumstances. A child raised in an environment of abuse and hunger, surrounded by addiction may have little support in their life - they may have NO experience or real understanding of life outside their own parameters and therefore, they make choices and decisions that they see as offered up within that environment.

You can say that "I had a child'..or 'we weren't rich'..but that means nothing. There are people who are not economically wealthy but who have a solid, firm foundation and expectation for their children. A mother perhaps who might work in Walmart but who does not drink, or do drugs, who engages with her child on a daily and consistent basis, is involved with the life of the child and that foundation of security and expectation can propel a child into making different or better choices than the child in the same neighborhood, with a mother who works at the same store, but who is more involved in her own life than that of her child. We see it all the time. sammieswife

• wasblind
    wasblind

. A mother perhaps who might work in Walmart but who does not drink, or do drugs, who engages with her child on a daily and consistent basis, is involved with the life of the child and that foundation of security and expectation can propel a child into making different or better choices than the child in the same neighborhood, with a mother who works at the same store, but who is more involved in her own life than that of her child. We see it all the time. sammieswife

What sulla describes does not relate to the black culture as a whole

even though we are more at risk because of our circumstance , does not mean

we can't decide to do better.

I Know for a fact people want to do better when given the chance

For example while in college, my daughter worked for an out reach program

for at risk youths

They gave out flyers at the local schools, on satudays children who were

interested showed up at the YMCA. Those who came, made a choice which could lead

them beyond their parameters.

Where an individual come from ain't as important as where they wanna go

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit