Review of Memorial Talk

by pixel 76 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sir82
    sir82
    Those with a heavenly hope are called Christ’s “brothers” (Heb 2:17)
    Those with an earthly hope, his children (Isa 9:6) (Now Jesus is our heavenly father?)

Jesus’ sacrifice opened the way for you to have a precious relationship with your loving heavenly Father (I thought my heavenly Father was Jesus?)

This is an interesting point - I don't ever recall seeing any explicit reference to Jesus being the "father" of anyone.

This sounds an awful lot like a step in a trinitarian direction - it will at the very least be very confusing for the 10% or so of JWs who actually pay attention to the talk.

Not likely that the Society will turn trinitarian - more likely just sloppy editing (so what else is new?).

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

sir82, I don;t think they are saying Jesus is the father, that would go aginst many of their teachings, I think that is a sub-paragraph of:

Those with either hope can become members of God’s family

Since they compare Isa 9:6

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, Jesus called his followers his brothers/sisters, siblings.

The WTS applies Isa. 9:6 to Jesus as Eternal Father.

*** w95 8/1 p. 13 par. 19 Jehovah—A God Who Teaches ***Even though the other sheep are not directly included among the “sons” spoken of at Isaiah 54:13, they are blessed with being taught by Jehovah. Therefore, they properly address God as “Father” because he will, in effect, be their Grandfather through the “Eternal Father,” Jesus Christ.—Matthew 6:9; Isaiah 9:6.

*** w53 4/15 p. 249 par. 10 Jehovah: Husband, Father and Teacher ***With all prospects of life resting on God’s provisions, other Christians of good will, associated with those who are in the new covenant, properly address him as their Father, because he is to be their Grandfather through the Everlasting Father, Christ Jesus.—John 10:16, NW; Isa. 9:6, AS.

*** Worldwide Security chap. 20 p. 169 pars. 18-19 A Happy Human Family Under a New Fatherhood ***
    The second Adam, however, has become a life-giving spirit. In this capacity he can fulfill Isaiah’s prophecy and become the “Eternal Father” to the first Adam’s offspring, whom he repurchases and adopts for the purpose of bestowing perfect human life on a paradise earth. In such a way the heavenly Father of Jesus Christ will become the heavenly Grandfather of the restored human family.
  • Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

because he is to be their Grandfather through the Everlasting Father, Christ Jesus .

There would be a few raised eyebrows if anyone referred to Christ as his Father though.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Granddad?! Sounds like something Rutherford would like....

undefined

• Heaven
    Heaven

So JWs don't know their Bible then, 'cause it says this can all cease when Jesus returns. And he returned in 1914 according to Botchtower.

Sounds like the ignore Jesus party has become the party for only the special JWs.

I certainly won't be there as I have to wash my hair and change the tires on my jeep.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

These memorial talks haven't changed much in decades. I gave a few of them back in the days and wish I could take back the bull$hit I slung in my ignorance.

Such an UN-celebration!

• pixel
    pixel

"they properly address God as “Father” because he will, in effect, be their Grandfather through the “Eternal Father,” Jesus Christ .—

WTF? Now Jehovah is our Grandfather?? I swear if it wasn't for this website, a lot of things will go unnoticed. Thanks Blondie!.

The freaking word "grandfather" doesn't even exist in the Bible in reference to Jehovah for our My Grandfather Sake!!!

• pixel
    pixel

This is a NEW outline. This is what it says on the website:

"The previous Memorial talk outline, "Observing the Lord's Evening Meal," has been replaced and should no longer be used. The outline now has a "7/12" revision date."

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Christian: Is Jesus your mediator according to the Bible? Answer: Yes

Jw: Is Jesus your mediator according to the Bible? Answer: errr..ummm. Yes..well, not..striclly so, ...no??? Let me grab my Bible Teach Book...

LET YOUR YES MEAN YES, AND YOUR NO MEAN NO........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit