A word of caution

by Socrateswannabe 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Please forgive me if you consider this to be presumptuous, I know I am an ultra-newbie here. But, I see a lot of threads on JWN that read something like, "What is your dog's name" or "Where's your favorite vacation spot", "What's your special name for your spouse", etc. I give the opening posters of these threads the benefit of the doubt that they are creating them simply for entertainment purposes. But if there are others with malicious intent who lurk here, couldn't they start a database of all these "fun" posts, and perhaps by a sort of trianglation of crossfire, nail someone's identity? Unlikely, I'm sure, but still a possibility?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Man, that would be the hard way to track down people from here.

• whathappened
    whathappened

If active Jehovah's Witnesses are on here and others find out, they are in serious trouble. This spot is on the Watchtower Societies banned list. Outing you would be outing themselves.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Being out for a very long time with my family intact I never gave a crap if anyone knew or not.

However I appreciate your concern and I do think those that need to guard their privacy are reasonably careful about revealing some of the personnel 'tells' that might give them away. However it does seem that Facebook has caused some problems especially as some start to fade and begin to question WT doctrines etc.

Those that are really hiding out on this site do a good job of it.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

i wondered the same thing on another thread and was told that those who are concerned about being found out should limit their personal info so as not to be outed by an over zealous pitbull elder. dont know how that would work since they would have to admit being here themselves and then PROVE it but apparently it has happened to some.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I would imagin that any poster that may be in fear of being discovered will think twice before posting anything that may give em away. I did at first too. Then I got to the point where I didn't care and posted pics of me and family. For me it doesn't matter if Im found out. Im out and never lookin back.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

It's rare, but it happens. Over the years I've heard of a few people being outed, usually by a fellow poster who knew the other's identity.

Posters who are targeted by the WT are usually those who are very articulate and provide evidence of and make compelling arguments about the falsity of WT doctrine. I don't think the WT cares about what people name their dogs.

To be on the safe side, limit how much personal information you reveal. Throw in a minor misdirection now and then. Claim a sister you don't have. Say you live in another state or country. Say you named your dog "Kitty." That makes it nearly impossible to track you down through personal details.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Not really relevant, since I'm already out of the Borg. Guess they could make trouble by getting my wife to check out my posts here. I'd rather not have that happen, but the world wouldn't end if she did. She'd more than likely end up leaving, but in the long run, that would benefit me more than her.

Otherwise, might've mentioned my first name, state, maybe even city, there's even a picture of me here. But it's a fairly common name, not easy to just pin down by a Google search (I've tried). Someone clever enough might be able to, after awhile, but again, to what end? I'm not too worried. I wouldn't dare mention my full name anywhere on an Internet forum, of course.

But hey, "I'll be careful." "You'll be DEAD!" "This little one's not worth the trouble. Now let me get you something--" "RAAAA!! RA-A-A-AH!!" "No blasters! No blasters!" "NGGGGHAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGH..."

--sd-7

• finally awake
    finally awake

I don't care if the dubs find out what I post here.

• perfect1
    perfect1

COME AND GET ME.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit