Christian questions to ask current JWs

by Christ Alone 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

Some more:

• The foot-washing ceremony. Why don't Witnesses honor it today? (John 13:1-17)
    • How do Witnesses care for the practical needs of widows and orphans today? (Acts 6 & 7) Was Stephen's service any less spiritual than that of his brothers?
    • The stranger performing miracles in Jesus' name (Mark 9:39-40) Who might be doing Jesus' work today who is "not of us"? Is he approved of God?
  • tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I can answer all of these questions:

a) New Light

b) Wait on Jehovah

c) Trust God's Channel

d) Avoid apostate thinking

e) Satan's influence

• Londo111
    Londo111

Good questions!

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

all that... whew!!

and you could just ask ," why do you protect pedophiles?'' keep it simple

• xelder
    xelder

It is impossible to know how beings physically relate to one another if they exist in a realm that we don't understand. From the bible at best, we have illustrations that are made for humans to understand in human terms. The whole arguement Trinity vs other beleifs is irrelevant.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Which of these 18 questions has no answer in the WT CD-ROM?

Great question. From what I've seen the answers to these on the CD are either not answered or they are answered very basically. For example, there is no discussion (at least that I have found) why Jesus is called "Mighty God" in Isaiah 9:6 and that means He is NOT Almighty and why Jehovah is spoken of as "Mighty God" in Isaiah 10:21,22 but this does not mean that He is not Almighty God. If there IS an answer to this somewhere, I'd like to see it.

Many of the "answers" to these questions on the CD may not be sufficient for some JWs. The explanation of John 20:28 requires a huge leap. Their answer implies that Thomas, midsentence, redirects his comment from Jesus to Jehovah. Contextually this should not make sense to a JW that is willing to think for themselves. Thomas is very clearly calling Jesus "The God" in this text, even using the definite article and saying "HO THEOS!" If ho theos refers only to Jehovah, then Thomas is saying that Jesus is Jehovah, and Jehovah does not just refer to the Father.

All of these questions, however, require some independent thinking on the part of JWs.

One of the posters here questioned the personality of the Holy Spirit saying that other qualities are personified. While this is true, the context doesn't fit this interpretation when speaking of the Holy Spirit. For example Acts 13:2 says: "While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”" This is a historical narrative and doesn't allow for a non literal reading. Here we have a PERSON SAYING something specific to the apostles. I believe the offical belief of the Watchtower is that an angel said these words to them. But that isn't allowed for in the reading. The text specifically states WHO said these words. It was not Jesus who spoke. It was not the Father who spoke. It was not an angel who spoke. It was the Holy Spirit who SAID these words and referred to HIMSELF as "I". This was in fulfillment of Jesus promise that He would send the Holy Spirit as their helper.

Most of these questions are merely an attempt to open a dialogue with a JW. Some may not wish to listen. But some may wish to discuss the Bible with you. And you may be able to plant a seed that may not be obviously beneficial immediately, but may grow with time. If you can get a JW to think "Hmmm...their explanation doesn't make much sense", that may be a seed that can grow later.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

ACTS 13:2 is one of the paramount verse that show the HS speaking directly to followers.

There is no mention of anyone else but the HS.

It is hard to deny the "person" of the HS in this verse, it is not a verse that one can say is a "personalization" of an "impersonal force".

The fact is that, without WT literature, the HS being a person or at least a personal "manifestation" of God, is quite clear.

Of course the perfect union and oneness of Father, Son and HS makes the whole notion of "who is talking and who did what" irrelevant.

Except that the JW's do NOT believe in that union.

• extractor
    extractor

"With reference to the Son":

Hebrews 1:10 “You at [the] beginning, O Lord, laid the foundations of the earth itself, and the heavens are [the] works of your hands. They themselves will perish, but you yourself are to remain continually; and just like an outer garment they will all grow old, and you will wrap them up just as a cloak, as an outer garment; and they will be changed, but you are the same, and your years will never run out.”

With reference to God:

Psalms 102:25 Long ago you laid the foundations of the earth itself, And the heavens are the work of your hands. They themselves will perish, but you yourself will keep standing; And just like a garment they will all of them wear out.
    Just like clothing you will replace them, and they will finish their turn. But you are the same, and your own years will not be completed.

Go a verse or 2 before each of the above to establish who the verses are talking about.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

NOTSUREWHERETOGO: THANKS! I used that as an olive branch for a poor JW who looked like he had been used as a punching bag the night before!

Here's a few more!

1. If failing to forgive is acknowledged by Paul as one of Satan's schemes (2 Cor 2:11), what's up with the practice of disfellowshipping?
    2. There are committees of oversight called Judicial Conduct Committees for judges. Do you have the same for judicial committees that fail to act in accordance with the Scriptures? If not, why not? OH! Because you have a legal department to determine wrongness - sorry... forgot about that. Worldly judges need oversight, Elders have the WTBTS LEGAL EAGLES..
    3. Literature such as the "Aid to Bible Understanding" acknowledge that the name "Jehovah" was made up in 1270 by a Roman Catholic monk so why does your organization continue to perpetuate a lie of "Jehovah" being God's personal name when they know it's not?
    4. According to WT theology, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and a host of other prophets are going to be resurrected and live on Earth. Are you telling me that the annointed in YOUR organization, folks who you see partaking in your congregations, are MORE WORTHY to be with God than HIS OWN SELF-SELECTED PROPHETS???

The last two send me reeling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit