Computers have successfully replaced college professors

by moshe 22 Replies latest social current

• garyneal
    garyneal

I think the bigger problem is that their doesn't appear to be any viable alternatives to college for most people. Most employers will not even give your resume a second thought if it does not list a college degree amongst the qualifications. If employers would allow themselves to do more outside the box thinking on how to find good talent, other alternatives may present themselves. I remember during my early college years taking technical courses in programming and using computer software thinking, "I already know this stuff and I am merely taking this course because it is required for that degree I need to make a living doing what I already enjoy doing as a hobby."

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Garyneal,

I think your point is an excellent one. College degrees are becoming what high school diplomas once were. I was never counseled at school concerning other career paths. There are so many crafts used in makiing films and television productions. People who can make violins and other instruments are well paid. I did not even know such jobs existed when I was in high school.

The for-profit schools scare me. They will take anyone.

• moshe
    moshe
    The for-profit schools scare me. They will take anyone.

Me too.

-spend that Pell Grant and borrow another $20K- if you are lucky you end up with a degree, but one that has little value to employers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit