Have You Prepared For The "Flu" And Do You Get A Flu Shot?

by minimus 191 Replies latest jw friends

• eva luna
    eva luna

JGnat, I understand it's the same flu shot in every state. But why is California not a red state on the graph?

Plus we have so many 'new ' residents, and also some have a sort of suspision of the Medical establishment. [granola nuts .smile]

I know there isnt a real answer, I just find it interesting. I do wonder what you make of all this ? As you are more informed than I am.

Am I missing something?

• eva luna
    eva luna

EntirelyPossible,

I know it doesnt prevent the 'flu' .

It's just what I have around if I get sick or have flu symptoms.

[or when I'm watching 'True Blood' ]

• jgnat
    jgnat

On the maps on this page, California is yellow or green depending on the map. This means it is not as bad off as other States this week. But Guam is better.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/summary.htm

Compare the map of flu vaccine coverage:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/vaccination/reporti1112/reporti/index.htm

South Dakota was the "star" with 51% coverage. California is in the middle with 40% coverage.

More about California:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/discond/Documents/Final_FluReport_Ending_010513_V2.pdf

More about South Dakota:

http://doh.sd.gov/Flu/PDF/Week1.pdf

I'd say the results are too early to tell. We're ramping up to the peak of the flu season.

• eva luna
    eva luna

Thank You for the links jgnat

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Wow. A lot people in here buying into snake oil like colloidal silver.

Fact: You cannot get the flu from the shot. Once you get the shot it can take a couple weeks for it to do it's thing. If you get the flu after the shot, then that means you were exposed to a different strain, you were exposed before the shot took effect, or you already had the flu in your system before the shot.

Now it's entirely possible that you could have an allergy that would prevent you from getting the flu. In that case, god speed. A lot of people have mentioned things to 'prevent' the flu. That stuff is literally all bunk. The flu is a virus and the stuff mentioned has absolutely zero anti-viral properties.

This stuff is all fact. End of story

• MsD
    MsD

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! And my kids too. Thankfully we did since our state just reported 22K cases. At my local supermarket people were walking around in masks. No joke! So yes we are taking every precaution to prevent getting sick with it. I know the vaccine isn't 100% but I figure its best to gshoot as opposed to taking our chances.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    You cannot get the flu from the shot.

I think that is based on "current understanding," dear BB (peace to you!) as well as what the pharmaceuitcal and medical industries stand to lose if they admitted to the public that one could. The fact that so many say they DID get the flu just after getting the shot seems to indicate that one CAN. Maybe it's a different strain; maybe the shot triggers something dormant... but I have learned that when dealing with the medical industry, it's really not very prudent to say what will/will not occur or is/is not. Remember (1) there a populations that are the exception to EVERY scenario, even if a small minority, and (2) science is a process... and we don't have all the answers (not my assertion alone) - particularly in the medical field.

As for the OP, I've had two flu shots in my life, one after I was SO sick WITH the flu I ended up in the emergency room where they gave me one... and for which I ended up in the hospital for 3 days as a result of an allergic reaction (unrelated to eggs apparently - I am allergic to vaccinations in general - had never been before of ANY kind for that very reason and still haven't as to any other kind for that reason... and one a couple/few years ago that my doctor insisted on giving me because I am a diabetic (I tried to protest but he reacted as if I were the imbecile and not him)... where I ended up being the WORSE non-diabetes/other illness related sick I have ever known. Thought I was going to DIE. I even cried... and I'm not a crier.

Now, I'm gun shy. ALMOST did it earlier in the season this year, even sitting in the chair with sleeve rolled up. Just when they were getting the injection ready, though, I said "Uh-uh," and got up. Just couldn't bring myself to do it again after those two episodes. And hubby absolutely refuses.

I just went back to my usual way of dealing with it: antibacterial soap in all bathrooms, antibacterial dishsoap... and Lysoling and bleaching my house, which means spraying/wiping ALL knobs, handles, buttons, rails, fabrics, door edges, steering wheel, keys, keyboard, pens, phones... ANYTHING we routinely touch. And especially after the little people (elementary school age and younger family) visit. So, the toys we pull out for them, too.

So far... so good.

Peace!

A doulos of Christ,

SA

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I get a flu shot every year. I used to get the flu every year and since I have been taking the shots - not once.

It seems I have a couple of what might be autoimmune disorders (research isn't definite yet). I don't need anything else adding to my problems.

Every person is different. Some people can take the shots and others can't. I'm just glad I don't have a negative reaction to the shots

• paladin
    paladin

http://ecochildsplay.com/2013/01/14/most-flu-shots-contains-mercury-thimerosal/

I gave up on Flu shots due to what is found in them. I take vitamin D, C & zinc. Works for me.

• jgnat
    jgnat

More about thimerosal. A vaccine containing 0.01% thimerosal as a preservative contains 50 micrograms of thimerosal per 0.5 mL dose or approximately 25 micrograms of mercury per 0.5 mL dose.

Zinc toxicity. At low intakes, but at amounts well in excess of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) (100-300 mg Zn/d vs an RDA of 15 mg Zn/d), evidence of induced copper deficiency with attendant symptoms of anemia and neutropenia, as well as impaired immune function and adverse effects on the ratio of low-density-lipoprotein to high-density-lipoprotein (LDL/HDL) cholesterol have been reported.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit