Have You Prepared For The "Flu" And Do You Get A Flu Shot?

by minimus 191 Replies latest jw friends

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Shirley, I've been having some issues with my teeth, so I will check into the grapefruit seed extract. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Hope all is well

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I have received the flu shot the last 2 years. I did not receive the flu during this period so far. I am fortunate that I very rarely got the flu in the past. I have absolutely no idea why. The only reason I started getting the flu shot was because my employer offered it free and I am now at an age the CDC reccommends should get a shot.

• minimus
    minimus

i'm fatigued today but i didn't sleep well last night.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Hey OC - Also look up White Oak Bark, referred to in quite a few articles as "A Dentist's worse nightmare", as in they wouldn't have much of a business if folks used it.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

I made a terrible non-jw error.

My jw friend was pressuring me to get my shot (which I have no aversion to). I believed it to be a teachable moment for WT quotes of concern and now he is considering not getting one ever again. If this man dies of the flu, can I just tell you how I will feel?

In the 20s it was barbaric... Currently its a matter of conscience.

sick cult....

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

AND HE WOULDNT HAVE KNOWN IF I WOULD HAVE KEPT MY MOUTH SHUT.

Im really beating myself up over this.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I've had the flu shot in other years, but I'm divided on whether it's good or even necessary. Pharmaceutical companies stand to make a lot of money when the whole population is convinced they must get a flu shot.

I'm also concerned about research that has linked the flu shot with increased likelihood of getting another strain of flu. A Canadian study found this to be true of H1N1.

There are certain high risk groups that may need a flu shot, but I don't think it needs to be a matter of course for everyone.

That said, I got the flu this year and it was nasty - but in recent years I seem to be catching things from my grandchildren, even though I take care of my health in general.

Interesting tip about grapefruit seeds and white oak bark, Shirley. I think there is a lot of validity to many of these natural remedies, especially when they have been used traditionally or in other cultures for centuries.

• perfect1
    perfect1

I had this years SUPERFLU.

It was hell.

No amount of handwashing would have saved me.

I had such feverish sweats the bed was soaking wet.

I thought I was dying.

Especially bad for people with respiratory problems as it is all in the upper lungs.

I stayed home for many days to protect the others.

• jgnat
    jgnat

A flu vaccine costs about $25 a shot.

"But the costs of vaccine production and distribution pale in comparison to the economic toll of people getting sick. The total economic costs of influenza in a single season in the U.S. -- accounting for both health care costs and lost productivity -- are somewhere around $870 billion, according to the CDC survey."

"Canadian province of Ontario, where flu vaccines are free to anyone over the age of six months. A 2010 study of the program in the journal PLoS Medicine found that it was more cost-effective than programs in other provinces. Though the universal flu vaccine program cost about twice as much as a targeted program, it reduced influenza cases by 61 percent and mortality by 28 percent from what was expected and cut health care services costs by 52 percent." - that's no small potatoes.

Would Obamacare benefit from a 52% reduction in health care costs?

Lowering Flu Shot Costs

Behavioral Responses to Epidemics

• Dagney
    Dagney

I've been thinking about this very thing.

I have never had a flu shot and I am old. I don't get the flu, and rarely sick. But everytime a season hits like this I worry.

I still don't know what to do. A co-worker just went to Walgreens to get one since he is flying to NY today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit