Pioneering - the best job in the world!

by MMXIV 39 Replies latest jw friends

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

How often did I hear those words at circuit or district assemblies - that pioneering was the best job in the world? How often did I hear a fake job advert for pioneering where there was 100% job satisfaction working for the most powerful person in the universe and you'd get to travel the world and live forever...

I've done both jobs and would say that the job advert should more honestly read like this:

Secular Job

Salary: considerable salary allowing one to live a good lifestyle

Prospects: one may continue to earn more in the future

Development: study as part of a career part funded by my employer, becoming an all round professional

Working environment: beautiful location in secure modern offices surrounded by latest technology

Perks: pension, benefits package, insurance, some paid travel, car allowance, maternity

Holidays: 5 weeks plus bank holidays (and weekends goes without saying)

Skills/qualities required: qualifications, aptitude, experience, passion

Job satisfaction: delivering results utilising skills, general wellbeing, fun

Moving on: 3 months notice, friendly departure, welcome to keep in contact

Pioneering

Salary: zero

Prospects: damaging career prospects for every year in the job. Promise of living forever by untrustworthy source – proven to be false for over 100 years

Development: learning irrational and deceptive reasoning, becoming used to social embarrassment

Working environment: street selling in all weathers without any security or insurance encountering hostile rejection

Perks: must provide own car, insurance, petrol, be willing to drive those who opt out of this. Having a baby requires a change of working environment as doctors, consultants and nurses become new customers

Holidays: None, no evenings off, no late mornings

Skills required: no qualifications, no experience. The ability to follow dangerous and life threatening policies without question, judge others and believe women to be less important than men. Happy for everyone who disagrees with one’s employer to be destroyed. Those mentally diseased or with gangrene need not apply

Job satisfaction: guilt, unrequited hope, burn-out, boredom, depression, more guilt, frustration (every type!) and even more guilt

Moving on: immediate dismissal without reasonable appeal resulting in no more contact with family or friends

mmxiv

• moshe
    moshe

For the downtrodden JW in a dead end job, pioneering can give them special status in the KH- and maybe even allow them to marry above their station in life.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Ah yes Moshe - the biggest motivating factors for signing up to the best job in the world! I may have missed more than a few skills required...

mmxiv

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a fish monger that consistently gets high employee satisfaction ratings.

http://www.fastcompany.com/41686/new-economy-fish-story

There is creativity, engagement, empowerment. Now that's what makes a great job.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

It must be truly traumatic to pioneer for 20 - 30 years and then realize that the Watchtower is a bunch of BS. I mean even many of us regret any effort put in working for the Watchtower. Now imagine deidcating your life to this organization as a full time "slave", doing a job that brings absolutely no results and realizing at the end that even the message is false.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I tried pioneering a couple of times. It was soul-crushing.

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses - Pioneering - A Misnomer at Best

• Ding
    Ding

Where did the WT get the term "pioneering" anyway?

It's not in the Bible...

• moshe
    moshe

Plowing is what they actually do-they plow the same streets over and over, trying to sell that kernel of corn in a pile of-

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I pioneered for several years. It was one of the more difficult jobs I've held in my life. My aunt, however, pioneered for around 50 years. A factor contributing to her death was loss of lung function from going out preaching in the cold when she was told not to stress her lungs. Gotta get those hours in!

But she seemed content enough with the life job she chose. And she had other opportunities. She was a court reporter (very prestigous job back in the day)

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I was lucky enough to have a second chance at work and at education. I was also lucky to be told by the odd householder that i shouldn't waste my time knocking on doors at my age but instead study and get qualifications. They were right and i remember them because they were sincere and direct.

mmxiv

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit