Cut and Paste of "The List" by Prominent Bethelite of Previous Watchtower Predicted Dates

by TMS 40 Replies latest jw friends

• SimonSays
    SimonSays

BATT C.T.Russell: Studies in the Scriptures IV - Battle of Armageddon (till

1910, The Day of Vengeance), 1897, 1904-20, 1923-5, 1927

"And this long persecution, in which 'many were purified and made white and tried,' and in which the Mother of Harlots was 'drunk with the blood of the saints and the martyrs of Jesus' (Rev. 17:6) ended as we have already shown, practically in 1776...” {BATT 584} [Also see 1799]

The Battle of Armageddon Series 4

The Darkening of the Sun and Moon as Signs

"Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken." Matt. 24:29; Mark 13:24, 25 The tribulation "of those days" should be clearly

Distinguished from the tribulation at the end of those days, in

D584

which this age and harvest will close: but this is not so clearly manifest in the accounts by Matthew and Mark as when we compare Luke's record--which seems to briefly summarize the events of the Gospel age, and, omitting the "tribulation of those days," refers only to the other tribulation with which the age will be closed. He says: "And they [Jews] shall fall by the edge of the sword and be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles until the Times of the Gentiles be fulfilled. And there shall be signs in the sun and in

the moon and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them for fear and for looking forward to those things which are coming upon the earth." Luke 21:24-26 The fact is that the entire Gospel age has been a period of tribulation referred to in Matt. 24:9-12, and now in verse 29. (1) The early Church was persecuted by civil Rome, while later, when Papal Rome got control, all who refused to approve her abominations were persecuted by her (Jezebel) directly, or indirectly by the civil powers to which she was wedded (Ahab). And they were given into her power, and she wore out the saints of the Most High for a time, times and a half time--1260 years--until A.D. 1799. And this long persecution, in which "many were purified and made white and tried," and in which the Mother of Harlots was "drunk with the blood of the saints and the martyrs of Jesus" (Rev. 17:6) ended as we have already shown, practically in 1776 and actually in 1799 when the Pope and his authority were humiliated before the World.* Understanding clearly, then, that it is signs that will follow

the tribulation "of those days" that our Lord refers to, we inquire respecting the very definitely described signs—the darkening of the sun and moon, and the falling of the stars.

----------

*Vol. II, Chap. 9 and Vol. III, Chap. 4.

"signs in sun, moon and stars [of] Matthew 24:29" {WR Jan 1885 711}

"Are these signs to be regarded as literal or as symbolic? and have they yet been fulfilled? We answer that they have had a literal fulfillment, and are now having a symbolic fulfillment much more momentous. On May 19, 1780 (still 'in those days,' the 1260 years of Papal power, but after that power had begun to wane and the brunt of the tribulation had passed) a phenomenal darkening of the sun occurred, for which scientists of that time and since have never been able to account.. This unaccountable day, except as a sign from the Lord, is reckoned to have extended over 320,000 square miles - an area about twenty-five times the size of Palestine, to which the signs of the first

advent were limited. Indeed, the fact that these signs were chiefly confined to the New England and Middle States need not surprise us, when we remember that the first movement amongst the 'Virgins'* (Matt. 25:1-5) was chiefly in the same locality. And that God should use the 'land of liberty' for sending the message of these signs to the world, is no more wonderful than that he has been pleased to send from the same quarter many of the modern blessings and inventions and lessons, recognized by the whole world, and aptly emblemized by the gift of the great French artist, Bartholdi, to New York harbor - the statue of 'Liberty Enlightening the World.'" {BATT 585-8}

D585

Are these signs to be regarded as literal or as symbolic? And have they yet been fulfilled? We answer that they have had a literal fulfillment, and are now having a symbolic fulfillment much more momentous. On May 19, 1780 (still "in those days," the 1260 years of Papal power, but after that power had begun to wane and the brunt of the tribulation had passed) a phenomenal

darkening of the sun occurred, for which scientists of that time and since have never been able to account. That this was no ordinary occurrence is sufficiently established by the following competent testimony-- The noted astronomer Herschel, says: "The dark day in Northern America was one of those wonderful phenomena of nature which will always be read of with interest, but which philosophy is at a loss to explain." Webster's Dictionary, 1869 edition, under the head of

Vocabulary of Noted Names, says: "The dark day, May 19, 1780--so called on account of a

remarkable darkness on that day extending over all New England. In some places, persons could not see to read common print in the open air for several hours together. Birds sang their evening songs, disappeared, and became silent; fowls went to roost; cattle sought the barn-yard; and candles were lighted in the houses. The obscuration began about ten o'clock in the morning, and continued till the middle of the next night, but with differences of degree of duration in different places." The Connecticut Legislature was in session that day and adjourned. The Journal of the House notes the matter as follows: "A solemn gloom of unusual darkness before ten o'clock--a still darker cloud rolling under the sable curtain from the North and West before eleven o'clock—excluded the light so that none could see to read or write in the House, even at either window, or distinguish persons at a

D586

short distance, or perceive any distinction of dress in the circle of attendants; wherefore, at eleven o'clock adjourned the House till two in the afternoon." Friday, May 19, 1780. A minister of that time, and an eye-witness, Rev. Elam Potter, preaching on the 28 inst., nine days after it, is reported to have used the following language: "But specially I mention that wonderful darkness on the 19th of May, inst. Then, as in our text, the sun was darkened; such a darkness as was probably never known before since the crucifixion of our Lord. People left their work in the

house and in the field; travelers stopped; schools broke up at eleven o'clock; people lighted candles at noon-day; and the fire shone as at night. Some people, I am told, were in dismay, and thought whether the Day of Judgment was not drawing on. A great part of the following night also was singularly dark. The moon, though in the full, gave no light, as in our text." Tract No. 379, published by the American Tract Society --The Life of Edward Lee, says: "In the month of May, 1780, there was a very terrific dark day when all faces seemed to gather blackness, and the

people were filled with fear. There was great distress in the village where Edward Lee lived; men's hearts failed them for fear that the Judgment Day was at hand; and the neighbors all flocked around the holy man, for his lamp was trimmed and shining brighter than ever amidst the unnatural darkness. Happy and joyful in God, he pointed them to the only refuge from the wrath to come, and spent the gloomy hours in earnest prayer for the distressed multitudes." We quote as follows from Judge R. M. Devins, in "Our First Century": "Almost, if not altogether alone, as the most mysterious and as yet unexplained phenomena of its kind in nature's diversified range of events during the last century, stands the dark day of May 19, 1780; a most unaccountable darkening of the whole visible heavens and atmosphere in New

D587

England, which brought intense alarm and distress to multitudes of minds, as well as dismay to the brute creation-- the fowls fleeing, bewildered, to their roosts, and the cattle to their stalls. Indeed, thousands of the good people of that day became fully convinced that the end of all things terrestrial had come, many gave up, for the time, their secular pursuits, and betook themselves to religious devotions. It was a wonderful dark day."Judge Samuel Tenney, LL.D., wrote of this "dark day" to the Historical Society in 1785, saying: "Several gentlemen of literary ability have endeavored to solve the phenomenon, yet I believe you will agree with me, that no satisfactory solution has yet appeared." Noah Webster, LL.D., wrote in 1843, in the New Haven

Herald, concerning this dark day, and said, "I stood and viewed the phenomenon. No satisfactory cause has yet been assigned." Rev. Edward Bass, D.D., First Episcopal Bishop of Vermont,

in his diary for May 19, 1780, wrote: "This day is the most remarkable in the memory of man for darkness." The darkening of the moon at its full the night following seems to have been little less remarkable than this darkening of the sun; a witness, Judge Tenney, of Exeter, N. H., is quoted as follows: "The darkness of the following evening was probably as gross as has ever been observed since the Almighty first gave birth to light. I could not help conceiving at the time, that if every luminous body in the universe had been shrouded in impenetrable darkness, or struck out of existence, the darkness could not have been more complete. A sheet of white paper held within a few inches of the eye was equally invisible with the blackest velvet." This unaccountable day, except as a sign from the Lord, is reckoned to have extended over 320,000 square miles—an area about twenty-five times the size of Palestine, to which the signs of the first advent were limited. Indeed, the fact

D588

that these signs were chiefly confined to the New England and Middle States need not surprise us, when we remember that the first movement amongst the "Virgins"* (Matt. 25:1-5) was chiefly in the same locality. And that God should use the "land of liberty" for sending the message of these signs to the world, is no more wonderful than that he has been pleased to send from the same quarter many of the modern blessings and inventions and lessons, recognized by

the whole world, and aptly emblemized by the gift of the great French artist, Bartholdi, to New York harbor—the statue of "Liberty Enlightening the World."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1780_in_Great_Britain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Riots

You judge for yourself in what C.T. Russell was referencing. This is a small example without having to write another book, what was he drawing parallels to and quoting in behalf of whom at that time. At what point did he make predictions. After reading the book, you’ll find this champion you admire is nothing more than a fraud as previously stated. Show me that list in a WTS publican as implied. Anyone can cut snippets to have words mean what they want until you see the real truth, TTBTT.

Watchtower Reprint January 1885 R711

Sub: THE SIGN OF HIS PRESENCE.

"What shall be the sign [indication] of thy

presence, and of the consummation of the age?"

Matt. 24:3.--Diaglott.

This filler has no correlation to Matthew 24:29, SO FALSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Thanks for posting the above.

I had heard it said that the JWs made certain claims about the year 1932, but this is the first documentary evidence I have ever seen about their claims regarding that date.

Bill.

• Esse quam videri
  • SimonSays
    SimonSays

I know huh! How can people possibly think that a person by the handle “Prominent Bethelite” that made false claims, be trusted? Especially a traitor to all the oppers that he made look bad.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Simonsays - I don't understand what on earth you're on about. Maybe it's cos I'm thick. Maybe it's cos I can't be arsed to read all the copy and paste material.

What are you saying? In a nutshell?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

marked

• TMS
    TMS

It may be time to repost. Perhaps some "newly interested ones have not seen this. More than dates, some interesting views of radium, germs, "Negroes" getting white skin in the new system and other silly ideas.

Personally, I knew about 1914, 1925, 1975, even 1874, but not all the other predicted dates.

tms

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    Very stinky.
  • baldeagle
    baldeagle
    Awesome information. Thank you for posting.
  • John Free
    John Free

I'm so glad I came across this thread. Its exactly what I have been looking for. The parts about beth Sarim where a tramp claimed to be king David are laughable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit