In exodus 10:17 NWT why is the word ENTREAT in capital letters?

by solomon 18 Replies latest jw friends

• solomon
    solomon

cant find the reason in any wt publications

• blondie
    blondie

Usually when a word is in all caps, it is referring to a group of people rather than an individual. Another word that is handled this way is "you" or "YOU."

• jgnat
    jgnat

H6279

?âthar

aw-thar'

A primitive root (rather denominative from H6281); to burn incense in worship, that is, intercede (reciprocally listen to prayer): - intreat, (make) pray (-er).

(JPS-ASVII) Now therefore forgive, I pray thee, my sin only this once, and entreat the LORD your God, that He may take away from me this death only.'

(KJV) Now therefore forgive, I pray thee, my sin only this once, and intreat the LORD your God, that he may take away from me this death only.

(NWT) And now pardon, please, my sin just this once and ENTREAT Jehovah YOUR God that he may turn away just this deadly plague from upon me."

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

What blondie said. I guess the word 'entreat' is plural somehow. Check it out on an interlinear: http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/exo10.pdf

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

What blondie said. The NWT uses all capitals when a verb applies to a plural.

The introduction to the NWT states:

SECOND PERSON PLURALS: Where “YOU” is printed in small capital letters, it shows that the pronoun is plural. Also, where the plural number of a verb is not apparent, its plurality is indicated by printing it in small capital letters. If the context already clearly indicates plurality, then no special capitalization is used.

In this case, the Pharaoh is asking that Moses and Aaron do the 'entreating'.

• solomon
    solomon

thanks to all of you for answering my question. There are more answers here than in the Watchtower magazine

• Ticker
    Ticker

The pronoun "you" is printed in small capitals (i.e., YOU ) to indicate plurality, as are some verbs when plurality may be unclear.

TRANSLITERATIONS: The footnotes also present a rich collection of enlightening transliterations of Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek and Syriac words. Transliterations are words of another language presented in English, with their individual characters converted into Roman letters. They approximate the actual pronunciation and are generally syllabified and accented. Latin words do not need transliteration and are thus simply syllabified. Also, since original-language manuscripts did not distinguish between capital and lower-case letters, the use of capitals in transliterations follows what is considered to be most helpful to the reader.

This comes from their source information on the NWT's use of capitalized words.

They go to all this bother when other translations don't but yet neglect to capitalize much more important words such as Holy Spirit or God in John 1:1 exposing their extreme biased exegesis to support doctrine instead of correct translation.

• mP
    mP

Its funny how God cant write the Bible so its clear. I meant the ancients didnt need hints like capitalisation to make theology clear. Jehovah next time you write a Bible, write it properly so theres no confusion in what you want to say.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

hif : to plead, supplicate (not in Ps, see THAT 2:386): Ex 8 4 . 25 9 28 Jb 22 27 Sir 37 15 38 14 ,and again Ex8 5 , 10 17 , 8 24 (according to Lexicon = HALOT).

Verb hifil imperative masculine plural. Qal To pray; Hif. To be supplicated (according to BibleWorks).

• smiddy
    smiddy

mp

If Jehovah had of thought to write the ten commandments on something more durable than stone ( being the ultimate chemist he is ) then I might give him a bit more credence .

Then again it didn`t enter "The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived`s " brain to write down his so called sayings of everlasting life either , but hey ,lesser prophets , so called major and minor ,thought it was worthwhile .

just saying

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit