Interesting District Convention News.....

by Pyramid Scheme 42 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

To take a line from my hero, Laurence Welk - "vunderful, vunderful, vunderful!"

• krejames
    krejames

Hayes Bridge has been used for District Conventions since 2010. They do it over a couple of weekends - used to be three weekends but they cancelled one and assigned several congregations back to Twickenham because the poor neighbours were getting p'd off at the constant traffic and a few inconsiderate parkers in that little country road.

• moshe
    moshe

I see a very familiar avatar has returned-

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It's the logical next step. Take an assembly of 10,000 in an arena, and reduce it to 10 weekends with 1000 at an otherwise underused assembly hall. With ATM's in place now, the money will roll in, none of the 'worldly' distractions interfere, and the society has total control of the operation.

If I was still a JW, I would welcome the change. It would be soooooooo easy to just say that 'oh, we went two weeks later or earlier' that's why we didn't see you there.

Jeff

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Having the Grand Boasting Sessions remain at 3 days, but moving them to local venues, keeps all the disadvantages of quitting your job just to attend Friday. You are supposed to waste the extra day, and you are supposed to donate the extra money not spent on motel rooms to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. It now adds the disadvantage of stripping opportunities to find mates within the organization, as you are restricted to whatever your sub-circuit is. This could be as few as 500 people--forcing people to marry across ages, races, even Jew/Gentile marriages against their will. (Or none at all, again against their will.) No more having nearly 10,000 to pick from.

And for what? It also means people don't venture more than a few kilometers beyond their towns--the Track consists of one Kingdumb Hell, one A$$embly Hell, and one territory. Many in cities will no longer see anything outside this small area. All so you can get the same rubbish you are accustomed to hearing--you hear 'em one, you hear 'em all. It is a waste of time, a guilt trip, and no one benefits spiritually from any of it.

At least you get to look at all those nice "Use one towel only" signs and "Use only this much [about 40 cm]" signs. And those flimsy chairs you can't get any damn ink on without getting in trouble--the tiniest ink mark will get Brother Hounder down on you.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

forcing people to marry across . . . races

This is rather offensive and reflects poorly on you.

• rosesinbloom
    rosesinbloom

I was told the same thing here in California. Also Circuit Assembly building will be remodeled to accomodate traveling overseers and their wives for a place to stay.

Many will be enlarged so as to accomodate those in the circuit as a sort of evacuation center.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Religion is a snare and a racket!! Tax it out of existence!!!

• flipper
    flipper

PYRAMID SCHEME- Thanks for the info ! And welcome to the board by the way . It does sound like they are consolidating financially so as not to cost the WT Society any more $$$$ than they need. I mean- we see this happening across the globe right now- this financial consolidation- closing of Bethels in certain lands, closing of Kingdom halls and combining halls, indeed if the WT Society has more upcoming lawsuits regarding child abuse or even financial scandals- they'll need those funds for a good " defense " team - which are usually JW lawyers anyway - who don't know $hit. Good luck WT Society - NOT

• I quit!
    I quit!

It sounds possible. When I hear that the were doing away with the bookstudy night it didn't seem possible yet it happen. It might make sense for them to try it at least for a few years. District conventions at large facilities aways brought some media coverage for the Watchtower and with all the bad press they have had over the last few years with pedo cases they may want to lay low for a few years. Also with a 2014 district convention it might come out that according to them it is also the 100 anniversay of Christ's return. Questions from the press about how they intend to celebrate it wouldn't be welcome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit