Being Agnostic is depressing me....

by SkyGreen 68 Replies latest jw friends

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

For those that dont know my story, basically i "woke up the TTATT" about a year ago, started fading, then went back, now fading again because i just cant stomach it anymore. My husband is very supportive, although he's still "in" for now, and trying to be regular with meetings and witnessing, he can see my point of view now, and often notices things in the WT or other publications that are "off"

The fading thing is hard, sometimes I want to DA, but because of the upheaval it would cause my family, Im waiting a little while - I guess hoping that my husband will be on the same page at some point, so that we can support eachother.

On to the point of my post... im feeling really depressed, as Im sure many of you can relate to the heart sinking feeling of your faith being shattered. Being someone that was always so sure that Jehovah was up there, loving me, about to fix all that is wrong with the world... and now its like I have nothing.

I truly admire the faith of some of you (unstoppable ravens, tec/tammy to name a couple), but at the same time completely understand the athiesm/agnostisism of others.

At the moment I am finding it hard to reconcile the God of the OT, with Jesus in the NT. I just cant accept that the God or Jehovah of the OT is loving or worth worshipping.

Although i just dont know what to believe any more, I am leaning towards a more traditional christian faith, based on Jesus teachings. Mind you, isnt that all we can all really do in life? Love thy neighbour and all that? I truly believe that if more people actually lived by those basic principles, the world would be a better place. However, the bible is so old, we cant be sure of it being 100% authentic really can we? so there is no room for dogmatism or extremism. Ive said it before and I'll say it again, "God, if you're there, and you truly care... please make it obvious??"

Was feeling so torn up about this, now I feel better having got it off my chest, and knowing that so many of you will REALLY GET IT.

Happy new year everyone, I hope 2013 brings you all health, happiness, wealth, whatever it is you are searching for, and if you've already found it, then the strength to hold on to it.

Love to you all

"Sky"

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Hi Sky, You are right, it is depressing to know you where duped and lose your identity. I'm sorry you are going through this difficult time.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I sure can relate. It is hard to find out that you've been duped for so long and everything you believed in is false.

What you have to do is find what makes sense to you about this world and ask for proof, evidence and reason before you accept any new concept. There are some great books and talks/debates by Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion), James Randi (The Amazing Randi), Lawrence Krauss (A Universe from Nothing) which explain the most complex concepts in the most simple terms, what facts and proper science is and reading/seeing them has helped me see through a lot of arguments that are being made in the various fields of theology and pseudo-science.

You can start by scrapping the Bible as a book, it's been thoroughly debunked by archeology, history, biology, physics, astronomy... it's full of holes and lies and the "basics" about loving your neighbor are either common sense (and will spontaneously appear in any literature) or have been clearly borrowed from older books (such as the creation story and much of the OT).

You'll find plenty of Christians on here it seems. There are a lot of Christian evangelicals here preying on the weak for their version/alteration of the Jehovah's Witness/Christian-like faith. Don't fall in their traps, all they are here for is to suck you into yet another cult.

Ask first: where is your proof for this God you claim. And why is he any better than Allah or Thor or Odin or Zeus or Baal. And they'll use scriptures to seduce you but that's the same the JW's do - they reduce entire scriptures to sound bites that fit their viewpoint best and present them as truth. I want proof.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Sky green *** am leaning towards a more traditional christian faith, based on Jesus teachings. Mind you, isnt that all we can all really do in life? Love thy neighbour and all that? *****

Agreed. It's Godly living. Read any of the "Pastoral" letters and "sound doctrine" is all too do with Godly living. Look at what Jesus says to John at Revelation 21 as follows:

He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega,the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

There is NO condemnation based on a teaching or a doctrine but only on UNGODLY living. Accept Jehovah's love that is given as a gift to us in his Son.

1John 5:

9 We accept human testimony, but God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. 10 Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.

His life is ours, his union with his Father is ours also, it's the Holy Spirit's work that will withness to us as we accept this gift of new life, to enable the fruit of the Spirit and Godly living.

Shalom my friend.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

im feeling really depressed, as Im sure many of you can relate to the heart sinking feeling of your faith being shattered. Being someone that was always so sure that Jehovah was up there, loving me, about to fix all that is wrong with the world... and now its like I have nothing.

I can relate. It took me months leave these feelings behind - a good 6 or 7 months. My faith was shattered when I realized ALL I KNEW to be true wasn’t and I had to start over in my reasoning. It’s a bit comforting but extremely delusional thinking there is a god up there who will fix everything one day.

You may go through a wide range of emotions. I did. I went from Christian to angry hater of everything god to agnostic and finally, now I am slipping comfortably into Atheist. Fits well too. Good luck!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    At the moment I am finding it hard to reconcile the God of the OT, with Jesus in the NT. I just cant accept that the God or Jehovah of the OT is loving or worth worshipping.

Look for and read Jehovah Unmasked. It is written by an exwitness who has posted at JWN at times. It's an easy read and you will find the ideas and information about the gnostics an eye opener. I'm not saying it is mean to be taken as gospel truth. But it will give you a different slant on who Jehovah could be and how different the NT is when speaking of God. I weigh anything anyone says about God, Christian or not, against 1 Corinthian 13:4-8 abd 1st John 4:8. If it is not loving, it is not from God.

I'm a universalist. There are universalists in every faith. The WT cringes over universalism. There are very good books and websites by people who were once staunch hellfire believers who realized that a loving God cares about everyone of his children, human or angel. Jehovah Unmasked is a good one and Philip Gully, a Quaker minister has written some very good books about universalism. He faced your very dilemma. I'd start with If Grace is True: Why God Will Save Every Person. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=gulley+if+grace+is+true&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=18651224301&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=16962463101809113448&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_53zuxq6f8_b

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Well, the Dalai Lama said any religion that helps you live a more noble life is a good religion. Personally, I don't want anything to do with any religion, but I'm all for trying to live a noble life. You don't need god or religion to try to be a decent person.

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

Hi friend. I REALLY GET IT..

I've prayed the, "please send me a sign" prayer many times over the past three years of the fade. I think I'm a confirmed agnostic now, and most of the time that's ok. But I have days, incidentally like today, where I waver in my "certain about uncertainty" and start searching again for something to grasp.

Sky, it will get better. And on the tough days, we'll be here. :-)

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I dont think your depressions comes from not knowing but of thinking you have to know

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Yeah, it can feel bad for a while. I'm with dazed but not confused... it may take 6 or 7 months to work through it. I went to church, saw a councelor, spent the day crying at a friend's house... but now I can see at as a phase in my life, and I'm over it. But it's really important to be able to talk to people you trust, and who understand you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit