What evidence is there for Jesus (NOT USING THE BIBLE)?

by punkofnice 139 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I have often wondered if there is any actual archealogical evidence that Jesus existed other than the claims of the Bible.

I don't want to go down the route of 'you can't prove he didn't exist' as this is tiresome. Or 'well Pontius Pilate existed we found a stone with his name on so it follows Jesus existed!' That won't cut it. Winston Churchill has been in Dr Who, it doesn't prove the Daleks exist...although that'd be cool.

This is a genuine question.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Jesus Graffiti

2nd Century

• Emery
    Emery

whoever drew that is amazing!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Pliny the Younger on Christians, 111-113 CE

I assume you are not interested in the artifacts of the cross, bone, and robe scattered across Christendom.

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

What are the artifacts of the "Cross,Bone, and Robe"?

• jgnat
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento

Here you go dude:

A good place to start -

Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence (Studying the Historical Jesus) [Paperback]

Robert E. Van Voorst (Author)

• tornapart
    tornapart

Josephus 'Antiquities of the Jews' Book 18 chap 3 v.3 and Book 20 chap.9 v.1 written 93/94AD

• bohm
    bohm

Pretty much nothing. Even more interesting, try to go through the epistles and see how often paul attribute a saying of jesus (in the gospels) to jesus, and how often he attribute it to himself or scripture.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

The question could be expanded to include any Bible character. Esther, Ruth, Moses, David?

I've wondered about that too. All I have in my head are JW arguments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit