Long time lurker FINALLY joining

by HBH 39 Replies latest jw friends

• HBH
    HBH

Hi, I've been lurking here for several years and I finally registered. First I would like to thank the hosts and members for all you do.

I'll just give a breif history, I'm a single male mid 40's living in the southeast US. Was born in, one parent a JW, they divorced when I was very young. JW parent took me to meetings until I was 14 and said I did'n want to go anymore. When I was 22 some JW's contacted me via door to door, I told them my story and I they started a study with me, but when they realized I wasn't changing it ended. I lived a life of pleasures/drugs from age 14 until I had a moment of personal dispair at age 24. I quit drugs and quit my freinds, and contacted the JW's I was previously studing with. I was baptized 6 months later, and shortly after was appointed MS. A few years later I moved to a new congregation several thousand miles away. My eyes started to slowly open.

After a few years I didn't want to be a MS anymore, so I quit, I firmly told the elders it was personal issues and I no longer met the quilifications. (and my service time was low.) My eyes were opening more and more, but I still made meetings. About 5 years ago I moved 500 miles away. I went to a meeting, but didn't get a good vibe. Next week I went to a meeting at a different hall, and after the public talk I said to myself "I can't listen to this any more", and I walked out the door, and have not been in a KH since. I changed my phone number and my old hall still has my card.

So you could say I successfully ditched 'em, but the clincher is my family and freinds that are in. Well since they are far away, I basicly lie to them telling them I am active, under the idiology of "what they don't know won't hurt them". Keeping up with the info on this site has been very helpful.

I still believe in many JW doctrines, but it is clear the the org is corrupt.

Thats it for now
    HBH

• minimus
    minimus

Good that you joined!

The Organization is beyond repair.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome,

Well since they are far away, I basicly lie to them telling them I am active, under the idiology of "what they don't know won't hurt them"

That is my approach with mother, who doesn't know and as yet hasn't found out.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Welcome to the forum. It is so much easier to accomplish your goal by moving and changing phone numbers.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Greetings from Florida ;)

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

And a hearty WELCOME to you .I wish I could have done what you are doing. I live amongst

many JW relatives they are now shunning me for drawing away from "Jehovah". .

What a truly loving people .

• whathappened
    whathappened

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Hello and welcome! Glad to hear you're free.

Loz x

• HBH
    HBH

Thanks for the welcome!

Fortunately, I never married, making my ditching a lot easier, but the borg has got some of my family in a total train wreck, and I feel for all those suffering. Shunning is wrong.

What got me really annoyed lately was seeing the movie on jw.org on the annual meeting, and seeing the bling on the GB. At least three of them had gold rings on their right hand! Who's paying for that?

Alright, I'll try to keep on the "sunny side".

HBH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit