Lest we forget the religious right's view of today's tragedy....

by EntirelyPossible 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

What. A. Douchebag.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/huckabee-schools-place-of-carnage-because-we-systematically

Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee attributed the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in part to restrictions on school prayer and religious materials in the classroom.

"We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools," Huckabee said on Fox News, discussing the murder spree that took the lives of 20 children and 6 adults in Newtown, CT that morning. "Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage?"

Law enforcement has released few details on the alleged gunman, but Huckabee suggested that the separation of church and state may have spurred his rampage.

"[W]e've made it a place where we don't want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability -- that we're not just going to have be accountable to the police if they catch us, but one day we stand before, you know, a holy God in judgment," Huckabee said. "If we don't believe that, then we don't fear that."

He said those suffering from a crisis from faith should look to God in the community's response to the violence. But he added that "Maybe we ought to let [God] in on the front end and we wouldn't have to call him to show up when it's all said and done at the back end."

• tec
    tec

Yeah but the violence was not committed by the kids IN the school...

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I know, tec. But, really, you think someone like Huckabee is going to let that little wrinkle in logic stop him?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I think he was saying that it was just the USA in general is breeding mindless killers because there is no god in school. I knew people who went to Catholic schools who were miserable human beings.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Many western european countries don't have prayer in school, do they have this problem? What a dumb thing to say.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'm surprised that he didn't go ahead and say that the tragedy wouldn't have happened if the principal, teachers, and students were all allowed to carry concealed firearms.

"Huckabee suggested that the separation of church and state may have spurred his rampage. "

Yes, I'm sure that the removal of formalized prayer from schools has often tempted Huckabee to grab a couple of guns and start slaughtering non-praying teachers and students.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Huckabee and his kind are goddamned, dipshit, oxygen thieves.

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

There were many ways Huckabee could have approached the "Why did God allow this?" question. I can't believe he blamed it on the lack of prayer in public schools. What a douche. You would think that as a pastor, Huckabee would've been able to offer a more comforting answer to the parents and loved ones of the people killed. The odds are that most of the parents are Christians, who do pray to God, and haven't removed God from their lives. I wonder if Huckabee has any idea how offensive his response is to those parents.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I find Huckabee and those who think like him to be far more offensive than any of the gun control arguments I've heard of today... from either side.

• cantleave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit