Funeral Service for JW's Killed in Bus in Miami --- The Kingom Hall Has PEWS ????

by RubaDub 10 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

On the local news in Miami on Saturday, they reported that they were having funeral services for the two JW's killed in the bus accident at Miami airport. The reporter was standing outside the KH in the Westchester area and you could clearly see the sign and the people entering.

They said approximately 750 people were in attendance which tells me that it must be a tri-plex KH like many others down here since there is no way you can put 750 people into a typical KH. They likely had an audio or possibly an audio and video link into the other two KH's.

They showed the inside of the KH as people were entering. What seemed very strange to me was that the KH did not have typical seats but rather what appeared to be pews. I couldn't see what people were sitting on but at the back of each row was clearly one solid piece. They were angled something like this:

/ / /

| | | Stage

\ \ \

I have never seen pews in a KH and at first thought that they had rented a building for the service. However, it otherwise looked like your typical KH on the inside you could clearly see the KH sign on the front of the building and people entering.

Has anyone here ever been to that KH ?

Have you ever seen a KH with pews ??? I thought those were a no-no.

Rub a Dub

• james_woods
    james_woods

I have seen a couple of halls that had them - I think they got them surplus from decommissioned churches and cleaned and restored them.

We had movie theatre seats from a closed movie house in the Kingdon Hall we built in Yukon, Okla.

I suppose they would rather have a non-religious source, given the choice, but cannot recall any particular rule about it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

yes, I have known "pews" in a Kingdom Hall - in the days before standardisation and Q/Build supplied furniture. Then they would get stuff wherever they could. Of course the cong. did not like them much..Too hard !

BTW, at a funeral of people tragically killed in an accident, is the K/Hall furniture really the most important thing?

• Gayle
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub
    this one?

Gayle ...

Yes! ... Thank you so much for the link so everyone interested can see it.

Rub a Dub

• blondie
    blondie

Media tend to use the terminology they are familiar with....not the "pure language."

• sir82
    sir82

I have never been in that Kingdom Hall but have been in several with that "sideways" configuration.

It's rare but not unheard-of.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I wonder if those poor JW families got to hear more than the typical 2-5 minute obit rehash on all those who died in the crash? I wonder if they extended the obit part because of the local press being there? If not, I would love to hear what the local press's reaction was if hardly anything was said about the victims and then they had to sit through another generic 20-minute public talk.

I'd really like to find a way to sneak a camera into a JW funeral. Maybe someday I'll get audio. When I share my own experiences (my parents and other family) with JW funerals with non-JWs, they think I'm exagerating.

JV

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh this is a huge witness/media event. Absolutely it's going to be an advertisement to the general public

• Dagney
    Dagney

I've attended a hall with bench seating. It's just seating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit