Jehovahs spirit on decision to disfellowship

by chezza 16 Replies latest jw friends

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

This is an interesting thread. When my husband and I began studying in an attempt to get back in after being inactive for some time, my husband made the elders nervous with all the questions he was asking. I could see them becoming more and more uneasy when my husband refused to accept the "well, you'll just have to accept this on faith" non-answer.

They started looking for an out, and found it in an empty ashtray on the coffee table. They asked my husband if he was smoking, and he told them he was. They gave him a 30-day ultimatum to stop or be disfellowshipped.

Since my husband had gotten baptized only so that I would go out with him, and since he had studied for only a few weeks before baptism, he never really understood the implications of that baptism, and I asked the elders about the possibility of annulling the baptism so that my husband could start over with a proper understanding.

They said they would pray about it. When I asked them about their prayers on the matter several days later, one elder told me that the answer he had been given by "the spirit" was to annul the baptism.

At the committee meeting, however, they reversed the "guidance from the spirit" and disfellowshipped my husband....then told me numerous lies about why they had done it.

At least in this case, it was man's will all the way.

• chezza
    chezza

I wasn't aware a baptism could be annulled, can it?

• Will Power
    Will Power

Ahem

By the POWERS invested IN ME, I hereby annul whatever I want.

• D8TA
    D8TA

When I was "reinstated" the Judicial Comitee told me:

JC-"You shoud shave your goatee."

Me-"I'm curious, why should me goatee be an issue."

JC-*Pulls out Scripture about "stumbling a fellow brother*

NOW GET THIS! One of the JC Elders said:

"In the early 70's the way we distinguished WHITE brothers from COLORED brothers was the BLACK brothers had thick moustaches."

WHAT THE HOLY SHIT SPIN YOUR HEAD IN A 360 DEGREE CIRCLE WAS HE TALKING ABOUT????

Not only did this sentence MAKE NO FRIGGIN SENSE...I couldn't believe something so ABSURD came out of anyone's mouth!

"distinguish WHITE brothers from COLORED brothers"????

Was this frickin dinosaur who gave this "Holy Spirit" directed "counsel" serious? And no! He wasn't friggin blind!

I dont know about you...but uh, anyone here have problems "DISTINGUISHING" diverse ethnic people? Do you use this secret system of facial hair???

"Holy Spirit" directed my ASS. This counsel was based on BIGOTRY and PREJUDICE.

Sorry for the language, but dang, it's something that pisses me off about them.

I know I have Samuel L. Jackson (hero of mine) as picture, but to those curious to what pigment my cells are...they are a pinkish-olive color. In common ...I'm white. My wife is mixed Caucasion-African-Brazillian. And she even notices (at a funeral we attended) that some of the "older" Witnesses (who didn't have the freakin decency to whisper) make an issue about us being a mixed couple.

For you apologists and lurkers...BIGOTRY DOES exist with some of your members.

D8TA

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Their referring to their SPIRIT.

Guest 77

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

D8TA,

Had to laugh at your post. That was an incredibly ignorant thing for the elder to say - but it doesn't surprise me at all.

Probably what he was referring to was that there was an effort in those years to outlaw mustaches. (A friend of mine was told that if he ever wanted to become a MS, he'd better shave his mustache.) That backfired after a while, as there were lots of brothers, ESPECIALLY black brothers, but others as well, who had worn mustaches for decades, and all the reasons the WTS was giving for their decree was simply bullshit.

After a while the mustache thing evaporated. But also during that time it was common to hear that the black brothers could get away with doing a lot of things white brothers would get counseled for - mustaches, goatees, soul patches, longer hair and shaving your head bald.

What a messed up, simply silly organization the WTS has become.

And having sat on numerous judicial committees over many years, I must say that holy spirit has nothing to do with that sad little process that is so often abused by the elders.
    S4

• terafera
    terafera
    I dont know about you...but uh, anyone here have problems "DISTINGUISHING" diverse
    ethnic people? Do you use this secret system of facial hair???

Thanks, D8TA, for letting me spew water all over my screen laughing!! My son thinks I'm crazy (well crazier than I am), and my neighbors are probably wondering why I'm screaming! LOL

Thanks for the laugh! That was too funny...

god, if I were in that room when he said it, I wouldve busted out laughing so hard.

This reminds me....

Once I was being talked to in an elders meeting by 2 very nice elders and the sister who studied with me. They were all trying to get me to see the point of getting baptized, and soon (the July assembly was coming up). So the sister, who is very fragile and cries easily, starts crying saying how her kids never went into the Truth. The elders turn their attention on her and she is bawling like a baby. I start to see the absurdness of the whole damn thing and start laughing hysterically. I couldnt stop...I just kept laughing, so hard I was crying and about to pee myself. Well the elders look at me crazily and the sister says she heard people under stress laugh to not show their emotions. They nod and say, 'oh' like they understand. I was really laughing because it was hilarious being around such loonies LOL.
    Ahh...

Memories!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit