Jehovah's Witnesses dismayed by new magazine format from Watchtower Society.

by Balaamsass 97 Replies latest jw friends

• a watcher
    a watcher

I'm not dismayed at all. Less to read :-)

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

I am dismayed at their "new light" and telling us all "we don't have the free gift of Jesus Christ", or "Jesus did not die for us", those issues truly trouble my heart. Soon the Watchtower and Awake is going to be put outside 7/11s on a little "Free Magazine Rack" 6x6 inch free magazines with advertisements from local JW businesses to support circulation.

When does the light turn on inside a person's mind, watching the Society "down-size" opperations, shrink the spiritual meals to nothing and still believe "We are receiving the greatest, largest portions of spiritual food ever!" When do people sit back and ask, "Is this really so?" I think people are asking more questions, they are just afraid of loosing their family and friends "Forced Conversion", "Forced Growth", "Mandatory beliefs in crazy ideas are you get disfellowshiped! Enough of my rantings.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I think it is hilarious that I am the editor of a very small country town 'community newsletter' that has twice as many pages as those rags!

Oz

• freedomatlast
    freedomatlast

The saddest thing in my opinion is that people stay in the WT organization , knowing there is something wrong with it but too scared to even read another Bible translation to see what the "real" Bible has to say on subjects. They shouldn't be dismayed by the new magazine format but by the fact that they are far away from salvation and need to find out the real "truth" the Bible has. The WT Society is NOT God's spokesman for anything. God gave us the Bible to explain the weightier things to us and not some strange group of men in NY or wherever they are today. Pray for discernment and get out of that organization.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, your first post, and you signed up in 2009? :)

Sometimes I ask myself why JWs are so afraid to examine their beliefs -- don't they want to be sure they have the truth? -- but then I remember that most have a lot to lose if everyone else doesn't feel the same way they do. Family and friends, their entire social circle, would have to also agree to leave the org. Better not to rock the boat. I remember being shocked when the Book Study was eliminated, but I didn't hear other JWs say a negative word about this obvious loss of "spiritual food".

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

ÁrbolesdeArabia said "We are receiving the greatest, largest portions of spiritual food ever!" When do people sit back and ask, "Is this really so?"

Interesting that you phrased the question that way, because that's exactly why they don't ask: because they've been programmed that the Devil asked that question in Eden, and all such questions that raise doubts must be from the Devil, so their minds instantly shut off before the question is fully formed.

• factfinder
    factfinder

A sister told me that the gb always know the right thing to do-they are saving trees by cutting back the page count in the magazines!

I remember when we used to have many different books to offer to the public. Now they only publish books for congregation use; just the Bible Teach book for the public.

The cutbacks will continue. I agree that eventually just tracts will be offered at the door and these will invite the public to read other content on the website.

The km will no longer be printed, publishers will have to print out their own copies and elders will be instructed to do this for those who can't. Any khs that do not have computers & printers will be instructed by the co or the km to get them.

The study articles will be printed out by the congregation or publishers instead of by the society.

It looks like it is all going in this direction.

• rmt1
    rmt1

Last time I saw an Awake in life was 1999, and I just checked one out on jw.org.

Wow!

So I plugged in the ASCII text from the article "Can You Trust the Media?"

http://www.readability-score.com/

Got these results:

Reading Ease

A higher score indicates easier readability; scores usually range between 0 and 100.

Readability FormulaScore
    Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease59.1
    Grade Levels

A grade level (based on the USA education system) is equivalent to the number of years of education a person has had. Scores over 22 should generally be taken to mean graduate level text.

Readability FormulaGrade
    Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level8.3
    Gunning-Fog Score11.4
    Coleman-Liau Index12.1
    SMOG Index8.6
    Automated Readability Index7.5
    Average Grade Level9.6
    Text Statistics
    Character Count4,957
    Syllable Count1,660
    Word Count1,044
    Sentence Count80