Similarities between Roman Catholics and Jehovah`s Witnesses

by smiddy 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sulla
    Sulla

Why become a RC if a protestant can receive god's grace regardless of their fully-informed rejection of the RCC?

I believe the reason is that fully-informed rejection of Christ's Church is a pretty big deal. That is, why would a fully-informed Christian reject the Church Christ built, and could he call himself a Christian if he did so?

But lots of people have too much pride to allow themselves to become fully-informed. On the other hand, it is not only Protestants who have this problem, so Christ will have to make a judgment call, I guess.

So somebody who dies in active opposition to the RCC is not in any danger of eternal torment in hell then?

Wouldn't say that. More like: everybody is in danger of making a final choice against God. I think you are still working with JW-style IF THEN statements.

• cofty
    cofty
    "Those who through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience--those too may achieve eternal salvation"

So what about a pious Protestant who knows the gospel but who rejects utterly the doctrines of the RCC and all it stands for?

• cofty
    cofty

why would a fully-informed Christian reject the Church Christ built,

Because they sincerely believe the RCC is an abomination that Jesus would want nothing to do with for example.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Because they sincerely believe the RCC is an abomination that Jesus would want nothing to do with for example.

Ha! Well, that circles back to the fully-informed part, I guess.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Indeed and one can argue that is a valid point.

But then they would NOT be denying CHrist or God would they? they would be denying a man-run and humanly-flawed organization.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    So what about a pious Protestant who knows the gospel but who rejects utterly the doctrines of the RCC and all it stands for?

I cannot answer that question because I cannot read the heart and mind of another person. It is even possible for such a person to be misinformed and laboring under what is termed "invincible ignorance."

• cofty
    cofty

BTS, Sulla, Chariklo and PS you are all trying to make it sound like the RCC doesn't really care what denomination a person is.

I'm not interested in the RCC position on exceptional circumstances or about people who never knew the gospel. These are the get-out clauses the Watchtower uses in its official answer to the same question.

Lets take the example of a well-informed an deeply pious Protestant whose knowledge of theology is better than all of us combined. He subscribes to the doctine of the "Preisthood of all Belivers" and has utter contempt for the RCC.

He would rather die than accept the eucharist from a RCC priest.

I suspect we are going to get another evasion and a "leave it up to Jesus" answer....

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    But then they would NOT be denying CHrist or God would they? they would be denying a man-run and humanly-flawed organization.

That goes all the way back to the Twelve. One guy betrayed him. Another denied him three times. The rest ran away when things got tough. And ever since then, there have been bad apples.

Even so.

And I tell you that you are Peter, [a] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades [b] will not overcome it.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+16%3A18&version=NIV

...if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Timothy+3%3A15&version=NIV

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    BTS, Sulla, Chariklo and PS you are all trying to make it sound like the RCC doesn't really care what denomination a person is.

No we are not. That is not the teaching of the RCC. The RCC teaches that it, as the Church founded by Jesus, is the fullest repository of Christian truth. No outside or inside power can prevail against it. It also teaches that there can be no salvation outside the Church, and by that I do not mean a particular church like the RCC, but the Body of Christ, which is not only here on Earth, but also in Heaven.

I suspect we are going to get another evasion and a "leave it up to Jesus" answer....

Not even the church rules that an individual is definitively in Hell. Not even Judas. Sometimes yes in the case of Heaven, such as with Saints, but not Hell.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Oh no, I don't think that is the case because the RCC does want you to be RC.

I'm not interested in the RCC position on exceptional circumstances or about people who never knew the gospel. These are the get-out clauses the Watchtower uses in its official answer to the same question.
    Lets take the example of a well-informed an deeply pious Protestant whose knowledge of theology is better than all of us combined. He subscribes to the doctine of the "Preisthood of all Belivers" and has utter contempt for the RCC.
    He would rather die than accept the eucharist from a RCC priest.

In the end, it is up to God, there is no way around that.

Intent is something that we don't discuss enough and the fact is, doing ALL the God "requires" of you with the wrong intent is probably worse than doing nothing.

Why be aprt of the RCC or any other church? is it because you love God, crave fellowship and found it there? or because you think doing this and that gives you salvation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit