Similarities between Roman Catholics and Jehovah`s Witnesses

by smiddy 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pterist
    Pterist

Both have a priesthood that separates from the laity. Just let the priest do your thinking for you, and jump through their ritualistic hoops.

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

Perhaps, Pterist, but isn't it rather telling that the very reasoning the Catholic Church gave for necessity of the priesthood was shown to be justified during the bloody Protestant/Communist rebellions in Czech and Germany? Not to mention the plethora of sects and cults with their own private interpretations, like the Jehovah's Witnesses....

"...Whenever the Bible is ripped out of conext, 'revolutionary ferment of extraordinary violence' erupts. Once the Church is removed as the arbiter of Scripture—once Scripture was no longer read according to what Augustine called 'the spirit'—it gets read, as Augustine warned, according to 'the flesh,' the way the Jews read it, as a prescription for establishing heaven on earth and, ultimately, a front for appetite. The Gospel becomes 'carnal' when seperated from the Church; it becomes a justification for violations of chastity or of the prohibition against usury. It becomes, as Nietzsche claimed, a front for the will to power." —E. Michael Jones, The Jewish Revolutionary Spirit and Its Impact on World History, Fidelity Press, Indiana, 2008, pg. 329-330

• Pterist
    Pterist

Nostonecutters. *** The Gospel becomes 'carnal' when seperated from the Church ***

God's word becomes carnal when separated from his Spirit in Christ....1 John 2:27

As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit--just as it has taught you, remain in him.
  • NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

That sounds all nice and good, Pterist, but history shows that the spread of private interpretation has been disastrous for the faith. What made the Protestant revolution possible wasn't the work of God; it was the dismantling of Catholic power (separation of Church and State) in Germany. Even Luther regretted what became of the movement. The debauched and bloody Reformation in places like Muenster and Tabor was proof positive of the consequences of all the private interpreting going on. Germany was one big Waco, Texas full of Branch Davidians rolling around in pig dung, running around naked, and committing all kinds of fornications.

What I am saying isn't to minimize the intimacy between an individual believer and God. It has more to do with doctrine. You, as a Preterist, should appreciate the unity of the Universal Church during the Millennial Reign of Christ. After the 1,000 years was up, Satan went to work through the Judaizing and Reformation of the Church. Don't you see the ending of the 1,000 years and the proliferation of Sola Scriptura as evidence that Satan had been unleashed on the Church?

• Pterist
    Pterist

Nostonecutters ....I have some preference for PARTIAL Preterism/Amillenism eschatology which belive the "church" and spiritual Israel has been ruling in the heavens after carnal Israel and the earthly temple was destroyed in 70 AD. I believe the 1000 years is symbolic and is still in progress.

The "church" on earth however, has always been a mixture of wheat and weeds and still is. The "Doctrines" in the Nllama all about the new life in Christ to be enabled to overcome sin and death. The isogesis "doctrines" that developed over the years may or may not be harmful. The TEST of all doctrine is, does it lead to righteous living through GRACE as works OF salvation rather than works FOR salvation. In Revelation 21:8 those NOT allowed To drink from the water of life are UNGODLY and leading carnal lives, I dont see any "doctrines" mentioned that separates One from life in CHRIST.

So yes I agree with you, that on earth man made divisions within the wheat and weeds are divisive. That will continue until the final battle and the final judgement. We just don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The doctrine of a new creation through participating in the death of Christ and sharing in his resurrection is the foundation. Eschatology is mentally challengeing but NOT a formula for salvation.

Thank you and Shalom!

• Pterist
    Pterist

Correction ... So yes I agree with you, that on earth man made "doctrines" within Christianity are divisive, and so the wheat and the weeds remain together.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Watchtower Jehovah's Witnesses Governing Body Catholic church have same organization structure

Yep, twins seperated at birth!

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

The Watchtower is correct in being set up as an authoritarian body. They got this idea from the Catholic Church. However, the Watchtower is a gross perversion of the true Church. That is all I am saying, Pterist. Atheists often accuse this kind of authoritarianism as a form of exploitation. I don't deny that that has happened, but history has shown that no organization, religious or business, can function at its best without some form of authoritarianism. These same atheists won't dare criticize their bosses or employers for being "authoritarian", would they?

• smiddy
    smiddy

Kurt.

A picture speaks more than a thousand words .

smiddy

• Pterist
    Pterist

Nostonecutter ***** history has shown that no organization, religious or business, can function at its best without some form of authoritarianism***

Thats a far cry from Jesus's words "where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name".....the real earthly "church" is invisible" to this system, what is seen is temporary what is not seen is eternal. However, Babylon has its ordained place in history.

Have a blessed weekend

Shalom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit