The End of Cheap Chinese Goods-What will it Mean for You?

by fulltimestudent 55 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

CHINESE VISION CHANGES WORLD TRANSPORT WITH NEW ASIA-EUROPE RAIL LINKS.

Depending on which European city in which a container is packed, and its destination in East Asia, it may take 30 days or more before the contained is unpacked at its destination. New rail networks, (already built and in planning) across the Eurasian continent are reducing that to 2 weeks and creating the world's largest market. In time, some envisage that same network will feed into Africa, further enlarging this huge market and bringing prosperity to people now mired in poverty. And, if the Chinese dream of these rail-links being built to hi-speed rail standards is realised, then delivery from produced to customer will likely be reduced to less than a week.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The Russian Trans-Siberian Railway was the original link between Europe and Asia. It still is important. Spur lines run down into China and there are hopes that one day South Korea will be incorporated into the network.

But other networks now compete with the Trans Siberian link. But the physical rail link is only part of the story. Of equal importance is agreement between the States through which the rail links operate. Each state must agree on the actual track itsself, the operation of the trains, and an agreement which permits the loaded containers to cross their territory.

That's why the Customs Union in 2010 between Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan was so important.

This overview of the new rail-link that uses Poland as a terminus, contains a map that graphically illustrates how that operates:

poland.org.hk/en/eurasian-land-bridge

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Looking at the world, from the perspective of the map on the Polish-Chinese Chamber of Commerce site (in my previous post), gives us a sense of how the world is changing. Two customs unions brings you to the border of China. And, a rail link from China that makes Poland an important place in east-west trade.

While one super-power spends its wealth in killing and destruction, the other engages in activities that brings increasing prosperity to people. What makes more sense?

In the northern summer of 2011, something momentous happened in the Chinese city of Chongqing (population 30,000,000), located in the centre of China, the gateway to the poorer parts of China.

A train loaded with electronic products ( LCD tvs and laptops) from world brands, who have factories in the Chongqing area, began a journey to the west just as magical as the mythic journey in the Chinese epic. The train crossed Xinjiang, China's most western province, Kazakhatan, Russia, Belarus and Poland on its way to Duisburg and (soon) Antwerp. A new trade corridor opened that day for China and the inland provinces.

The former European Trade Commissioner Lord Mandelson, told a (British) Times reporter, that with the emergence of Chongqing as the "industrial and financial nexus of western China and even Central Asia," British businessmen had the "opportunity of a lifetime" to provide support services that would be needed in this area as the Global brands in electronics create this new centre that will be manufacturing 20% of (as an example) the world's laptops*.

These products are now arriving in Europe in a 1/3rd of the time and at a far lower cost than previously.

In China, this centre has already changed demographics. Migrant workers (ex-rural workers) will not have to travel so far for work. Many will re-locate to the Chongqing, which some reports suggest may grow to have a population of 50,000,000.

* Hewlett-Packard is one of the technology groups that opened a gargantuan factory in Chongqing. They set a condition for the Provincial government. We'll build a factory but we want a new cargo airbase nearby. HP got the air cargo base - built in record time.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

But that's not all - under active consideration, is another rail link to the west.

This route would start in Shenzhen (near Hongkong) - a huge city that did not exist 40 years ago and cross 17 regions and countries and terminate in Europe.

The route will cross, Guangdong (Canton area), Guangxi, Yunnan (borders Myanmar) then cross into Myanmar, Bangladash, India, Pakistan, Iran and Turkey.

And, in parallel to the huge network that will be created by the existing and future freight rail links, there will be hi-speed (350+km/hour) passenger rail links whereever it can be justified.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Watching this develop is interesting, indeed.

'While one super-power spends its wealth in killing and destruction, the other engages in activities that brings increasing prosperity to people. What makes more sense?'

China does a lot less meddling in the countries w which it does business. It buys the raw materials and sells it products, and doesn't bother w countries internal issues. This very neutrality is something that the usa has made into an issue between it and china. It demands that china put conditions on it's trade w other soveriegn countries. Is that based on the christian evnagelical background? Is the conversion doctrine the ultimate source of meddling in the business of other countries?

S

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Satanus, in response to your last question. Think about this. When the Spanish and Portuguese invaded the America's it did arouse some questions in the (Catholic) Universities of Europe. In particular, the question, "Is it right for one nation to invade another?" This was the beginning of "International Law," which I think you'll understand, was written by Europeans to suit European requirements.

The discussion went around and around, as such things tend to do, but out of it all came a conclusion: It's OK to invade another country, if that country had refused to accept the gospel of Jesus. Then you could invade and force them to become Christians. Of course, they were not as blunt about it as my summary, but in essence they said what I've said.

The evangelical Christians of the USA, did not originate this doctrine, but have been quite happy to borrow it. Its on record that a little church in England, faced with the moral dilemma that their "Christian" nation was warring on China to force them to import Opium, prayed (on paper) "Lord, we don't like the Opium bit, but we thank you that you've opened the way to convert these heathen.

Sorry, I cant give you references today, but I'll try to get around to it when I get my broadband connection back.

As, I've explained in my North Korea thread, it may be up to a week before I'm re-connected to the net. (And Australians think they've got the best system in the world!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit