Your response: THE WRITTEN WORD weakens the human mind....Y? N?

by Terry 23 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    OK, the number one is irrational to OUTLAW.
    Somehow, this makes very good sense.....JW

There are rational 1`s.. It`s the 1`s that become sheep or throw dish`s when they`re angry.. That are irrational.. .......................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• talesin
    talesin

Well, to be fair to Socrates, it was Plato who wrote it. Socrates was the teacher of Plato. The student immortalized the teacher.

Who also said that women and slaves were the same as beasts, and incapable of higher learning (or even simple learning, as a matter of fact).

It's important to take these ancient philosophers' words in context. As has already been discussed, neither Plato nor Socrates had any comprehension of the true power and flexibility of the written word.

History? Well, that's a whole 'nuther topic ... his - story ... just about says it all, as far as I'm concerned.

tal

• james_woods
    james_woods
    That would be the Pythagoreans who were a very interesting group. Pythagoras forbade eating beans. I guess those meetings in close quarters prompted that very practical taboo!

Then he was not only irrational, but also a possible racist and an anti-vegan.

I always preferred Fermat to Pythagoreas. Theorem wise, that is.

Strange that Pascal became named as a computer language, but Fermat never has...

• Terry
    Terry

Who also said that women and slaves were the same as beasts, and incapable of higher learning (or even simple learning, as a matter of fact).

Mmmm, I think you are confusing Plato with Aristotle. Plato believed that in a Just society women would be equal to men in everything except physical strength.

Aristotle said women lacked the spirited part of the soul and were consequently inferior.

Aristotle was considered THE go-to guy on all things Logic until the time of Galileo!

Had Plato been the considered the better philosopher perhaps women's rights would have gone a different way throughout history!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit