For photographers - Canon shooters

by SadElder 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• SadElder
    SadElder

I'm a nature photographer and like most always seeking better, longer glass.

I'm most attracted to the 600mm f4 IS Canon lens though some have suggested dropping down to a 500mm due to the weight issue. Both these lenses are heavy and I can't see myself lugging either one long distances without my modified baby stroller.

Any experiences with either lens? What tripod head are you using?

Happy shooting.

• therevealer
    therevealer

Canon Powershot SX50HS Digital Camera

Can a camera like this have any credibility in your realm.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I used to be into photography 20 years back, most of my equipment long gone & my only current camera is my phone LOL

but i am considering moving into digital SLRs

• SadElder
    SadElder

revealer: I also have among my arsenal a nice Canon Elph. I carry it in my console for a quick shot now and then. I've always believed that it's the shot that counts, not the gear. If you're happy with what you have and enjoy using it, don't let anyone look down on your choices. I don't have much patience for gear elitists. There will always be a bigger, better, faster, fancier something that dates the thing you bought yesterday. There are folks out there all the time who outshine my limited abilities, but I've met some really great people who are always willing to share what they've learned.

pride: Many folks get some great phoe shots, so don't discount it. I use my own phone now and then to get a shot of something. My Nikon film cameras found themselves at the bottom of a closet for many years. About 6 years ago I got bit by the bug again and really enjoy digital. Lots of practice shooting without the expense of processing and printing. Same comments as above... enjoy what you shoot... shoot for youself and be happy. PM if you want some pointers for whatever they may be worth.

Go shoot something.....

• shamus100
    shamus100

Nikon D800E with Nikor 24X70mm lens. It is obviously not a real nature photographers lens but it does the trick. ;) I find photographing animals arduous, boring, and excruciating at the same time. These days it's all about street photography and I'm also going to pack a portable printer around with me and take free photographs of people in Nepal (if they let me take their picture) and print them a copy right then and there. Oh, and northern India too. There is a gorgeous area that has just opened up to tourists and I'm planning on going in on a two week government permit. :D I'm quite excited about this! The mountains are unclimbed and unmapped.

My new passion is becoming macro photography and the year after next I am hopefully going on an expedition into the Bolivian rain forest into a little known reserve via bush plane. The insects, animals, and biodiversity is positively stunning to say the least.

• SadElder
    SadElder

monkeyman: hope you enjoy your trip. It's always interesting to shoot folks in their everyday surroundings unaware of your camera. A nice macro lens is on the horizon for me after I recover from my big foot purchase.

Happy shooting

• shamus100
    shamus100

And to you too. My website will be up sometime in the next month. ;)

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Bookmarking. This is something I'm beginning to get into, but know next to nothing about, though I want to shoot birds, photographically speaking!

So I'm just going to sit quietly here and learn.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

How hungry are the bears? ;)

Are you shooting a full frame or APS-C sensor? I think in some situations shooting the smaller sensor to get more length out of your lens is a good trade-off.

I recently rented a 300 2.8 and used a motion picture fluid head to balance it - that worked very nice. I also have a serious ball head (it can hold 4X5 cameras) that works well with big lenses. But if I was shooting it a lot, I'd seriously look into even a relatively cheap fluid head (it doesn't really have to be as perfectly smooth as you'd want for video- just balanced well and carrying the weight so you can adjust quickly). But then again, that's a lot to lug into the wild.

• SadElder
    SadElder

shamus: let us know when your site is up.

chariklo: I enjoy shooting wildlife with my Canon. There is a wealth of information available to you on the net in the way of free training and reviews. Whatever camera you use... just get out there and shoot and learn from that. The only things I find myself short on is time and of ccourse $.

Six: right now APS-C - Canon 7D and other older versions. There is a full frame on the horizon, but I will need to recover from the next lens purchase first.

I've been using a gimbal head on my 100-400 and also a gimbal style ball head, but neither of these will handle the weight of the 600mm. So I'm leaning towards the Wimberley head - pricey that it is.

I found a nice solution to lugging my gear for most hikes that have smoother trails. I bought one of those portable jogging strollers with larger pneumatic tires (Target on sale for about $100). With a few additions of some straps and velcro I was able to make a pretty nice cart to push along my gear. Helps the bad back and neck.

Thanks to all

Happy shooting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit