Has the mnknds cndition gotten better since 1914?

by D wiltshire 13 Replies latest jw friends

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Has mankind condition gotten worse or better since 1914?
    The WT concludes that more people are sufuring more since 1914 because that year would spell trouble that would increase.
    A brother giving a public talk a couple of weeks ago said mans life span has not increase any noticible amount even with all the advancement we have made in medicine and so the thought trying to be conveyed was don't trust science.

I know many will eagerly point out the facts.

Join the Watchtower or you will die.
    Only Jehovah's Witnesses have the TRUTH all other religions EVIL and from the Devil.
    You must beleive the Watchtower or you're going to die a painful death forever, isn't that really GOOD NEWS?
  • metatron
    metatron

Let's see - refrigerators, indoor toilets, airtravel,
    antibiotics, the eradication of smallpox, space exploration,
    microwave ovens, radio, computers, automobiles, Social Security,
    civil rights, blacks not being lynched, women's rights,
    reduced infant mortality...

Nope, I can't think of a thing that's gotten better since 1914!

metatron

• Simon
    Simon

There was a WT or Awake a few years ago which mentioned that the average lifespan had increased and was actually now the highest it has ever been. This is despite all the wars and famine which isn't worse than in history ... it is just reported more globally.

How this fits in with their notion that we are living in the 'last days' which have to be cut short lest none survive is difficult to fathom.

• Simon
    Simon

I think the article was something to do with medical science and that despite 'mankinds efforts' and the advanced lifespan now provided becuase of medicine they would never provide everlasting life "like what they won't".

• MavMan
    MavMan

World War I, World War II, Genocide of Jews, Genocide of Balkans, Genocide in Ruwanda, Vietnam War, Terrorism, Abortions, Hunger in Africa and Asia, Threat of Nuclear Holocoust, Guerrilla Warfare, Aids

Nope, I can't think of a thing that's gotten worst since 1914!

• aTHINKING1
    aTHINKING1

mav,
    i would suggest you read "sign of the last days...when" by carl jonsson. you will be amazed at the sheer number of misquotes an half quotes that the wt uses to support their claims. they have become experts at using "........." i always wondered what they were leaving out. now i know!

• Carmel
    Carmel

This has been the "Century of Light"! Historians in the future will trace social, political, scientific, economic and yes spiritual ideas and institutions back to their roots that manifest themselves in the 20th century. Truely it has been seminal in humanities collective and individual evolution.

so sayeth the soothsayer!

carmel

• larc
    larc

Mav,

Instead if puting up names of problems, you ought to put facts and figures. The 20th Century was one of the best in mankind's history. The average life span is up by more the 10% in the last century. This would not be possible if wars, pertelence, and famine hadn't lessened compared to other centuries. By far, the 14th century was far worse. It was so bad that the world population declined during that one hundred year period. Mav, I hate to confuse you with facts since your is made up already.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hmmm, let me see here, we are...

Living longer
    More Healthy
    Eating better
    Surviving natural disasters better
    Reducing disease
    Reducing hunger and starvation
    AND
    Creating societies that respect the needs of the individual

Oh yeah, these are "critical times hard to deal with".

I will not deny that there are some terrible things going on (terrorism, suicide bombers in Israel, threat of nuclear war), but as a whole, humans ARE doing better that we have ever in all of history.

Things are getting better, not worst.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

One more thing... a simple "general" gauge of how humans are doing is to look at population growth. In the last 50 years, the population has exploded. It fact, humans are so prosperous right now that we are having to RESTRICT population growth... now that is impressive!

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit