Remember A.I. ?

by Introspection 18 Replies latest social entertainment

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I hated it. I was expecting a thought provoking movie and what I got was Pinnochio.

• chezza
    chezza

I was in two minds going to see it but was so glad i did, i loved it, i cried and i thought it was a great movie

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

Sorry but I hated it too.

I couldn't feel anything for those artificial people.

The bear was the best actor in the movie.

Ranchette

• heathen
    heathen

I rented it just last week ,was very disappointed .It reminded me too much of the bicentenial man with robin williams ,which I hated as well.I hear they may be doing a remake of westworld with arnold swartzenegger.I too must plug the blade runner movie with harrison ford as one of my favorites.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It was thought provoking.

AI was exploring the question what it means to be human/self-conscious. I thought it did a good job. In the end, the robot who wanted to be human, and wasn't accepted by them, was the only one with a memory of what humans had been. Very ironic.

Also, the abandonment issue hit home w me.

SS

• LB
    LB

I enjoyed the first half of the movie. But when it went weird on me I had wished I waited for the DVD.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• apostate man
    apostate man

Horrible movie with great special effects. The movie should have ended when the kid dove off the building.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Well let me clear this big misconception that most of you probably know but the creatures at the end ARE NOT ALIENS!!!!!!!!! Ok? They are robots that have evolved far in the future.

secondly, realize the dark message in the film. Is this boys love real? How can it be real when it is turned on like a switch. Is love really like that? If the programmers had enabled an off switch, would you still consider it real love? What the boy felt was obsession. A dark evil kind. He was willing to kill. He killed another of his models. Didnt you see that? What do you think Kubrik was saying there?

Also another bit of symbolism in the film was the blue fairy, it symbolizes god and humanities futility in praying to a fairy tale, something that does not exsist.

in general: I liked it at first, once i analyzed the films message i hated what it was trying to tell me, or rather preach to me.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Contains spoilers!!!

I thought that this film was quite possibly the worst I have seen in a long, long time. And I saw it last night on video, so this is a real fresh opinion.

It was too draw-out, narratively diffuse, hitting on the same emotional areas all the time, and had plot loop holes you could fit the Statue of Liberty through. It was sacahrine and cloying, atempted to make the audience care about something that was not intrinsically careable for, as it never attained a sense of reality.

As bboyneko pointed out, Kubrick was obviously saying that jealousy and obsession are as part of being human as being in love is; the killing of the other David, the two thousand years of waiting, the complete lack of getting on with it.

Let's ignore that ice ages take a little more than two thousand years to occur. Let's ignore that that robot must have batteries to die for to not power-down waiting. Let's ignore that a human child in that situation would develop the ability to tell the difference between fantasy and reality, and realise waiting was futile. Let's ignore that other mchas showed the ability to adapt and develop greater independance (the Gigolo Joe mecha spoecifically; he took his tag off, far more a human action than David ever did). Let's ignore the huge unexplained plot shift; they get David to make up for the loss of their son, and then BOOM!, their son reappears after David has started building bonds. If this was expected (maybe he was in a tank undergoing gene therapy/treatment whatever), then them getting David is strange, and them not preparing him for his 'half' brother is stranger. The aliens were pretty sucky too, and using them to 'resolve' the plot was a triumph of lazy screenplay writing.

And then I woke up and it was all a dream...

The film was a dog. A bad smelling one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit