About what one thing do you find yourself being a real SNOB?

by Terry 78 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Music. I have my guilty pleasures, though.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm not sure. I used to be a literary snob. I just read escapist lit now. I'm kind of a snob about the work I used to do, but that's because I know more about it than a lot of people. I was a yarn snob -- only the finest merino or alpaca -- but now I'm finding I like acrylic too. I am somewhat of a grammar snob, but I notice anytime I criticize someone's speech or writing, it always backfires.

Too lazy to be a snob any more.

Oh, I am a snob about Shakespeare. Been there, done that is how I feel. But that's because I was an usher at the Old Globe in San Diego for a few years in high school. I was over-exposed to it. I am the same about opera. I love good singers, love their voices, power, delivery, range. But I don't like opera. I especially don't like recitative.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Im a books over movies too. I love Steinbeck. The Grapes and Wrath and Of Mice and Men.

Started The Road but didn't finish it. It was the first book I got on my Kindle and I'm just not used to using my Kindle to read a book such as a novel. I have used my kindle for other type of reading and I'm glad I have it and I do use it, however I prefer to read a book with it in my hand.

I was really into Stephen King when I was a teenager and young adult and I still like him. I think Taylor Caldwell was a great and effective writer :)

LRG

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Punctuation. Even on text messages. And for pete's sake, don't use letters to represent words!

Oh, and my accent. It's neutral American despite the fact that I've lived in New Jersey, Boston, coastal Maine, and the South - all regions with strong local accents.

• undercover
    undercover

Driving. For me it is an art. Not a point a to b chore.

That's a good one.

I'm the same way. I enjoy driving, it's a skill to obtain and to always improve on. Even after 30 some years behind the wheel, I look to get better. I enjoy a good handling, responsive vehicle instead of a box with wheels.

I'm not as lucky as some people, owning Ferraris and Corvettes (ahem), but I've had a few sporty cars, cars meant to be driven, not operated. I wish had time and money to do track time. I've done a little bit here and there, but never as much as I would like to do.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Beer, whisky, cigars, golf, suits.

• talesin
    talesin

Being a snob about Steven King means you know little about the 'craft' of writing .... my opinion, fwiw. This forces you to also reject Dickens and Shakespeare, since they were also popularist authors who were scorned in their time, but whose work, centuries later, is now recognized (and rightly so) as genius, and a true reflection of the culture of their times. Rejecting someone as a great writer, merely because his novels are entertaining, is to me, a great example of nonsensical snobbery (no personal insult intended). Maybe you should read King's book On Writing (which I am reading now, for the third time). By the way, I loved Cannery Row, Of Mice and Men, and The Grapes of Wrath (to name a few), and can see Steinbeck's technical brilliance, but have never met anyone who enjoyed reading The Pearl. It's great to brag that we have slogged through an 'important' piece of literatrash, but there is much to be said for an author who can both entertain us, and employ great literary technique. RIght now, I'm thinking of Dostoyefsky,,, wow! entertaining, and such skill!

I had a similar discussion with H_S (Hillary Step) years ago, regarding jazz. In the end, we came to a consensus, that 'technical perfection' is not the be-all and end-all to jazz music. We were specifically discussing Diana Krall, and how she was not the best jazz artist 'technically', but that ANY art form is subject to critique not just for its technical value, but for how it makes you 'feel', and how it defines the culture.

I guess my own particular version of 'snobbery' would be food. I think people are ignorant about the fuel they put in their bodies, and are, to use a term, 'sheeple'. They listen to the lies and falsehoods propagated by the government and food lobbies, and it would be laughable, were it not so sad, that they "believe" they are eating real food.

xo

tal

• Satanus
    Satanus

You make a good point, tal. Personal taste and personal reaction to music, lit, food, whatever is primal.

As human animals, we tend to tune our tastes to accord w the alphas in society or what is popular at the time. That tends to unify society, so it's good, in that way. However, as we develop more we should be free to redefine ourselves by our own standards, while allowing for others to do the same.

S

• SophieG
    SophieG

I did not realize I was a “book snob” until Shades of Grey came out. To each his own and I do not knock anyone for enjoying erotica literature, however this War and Peace girl thinks Shades is utter trash!

After having my brain eviscerated by the likes of Tolstoy and Tolkien, just trying to read the Shades sample chapters on Amazon.com was just plain irritating. The Shades writing was atrociously horrible and the characters totally vapid and un-freaking-believable. I totally understand why many women find this series entertaining, but frankly I could write much better, steamier, S&M twisted crap having had a Christian G. in my life!!! Plus, I guess my imagination is way more colorfully corrupt (for a JW! *gasp*).

So yes, I am freaking book snob and I am proud of it. LOL!

*Re-reading Games of Thrones series*

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Fashion.... Art.... and strangely, Windows (I work for an upscale Window company) oops that's 3....

Coffee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit