Has anyone ever read "The Woman In White" by Wilkie Collins?

by Berengaria 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I finished it this afternoon, and can't stop thinking about it.

Amazing, just amazing.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Yes, I've read it a couple of times. Pretty good story, one of the forerunners of modern detective stories.

Have you read any of the Judge Dee stories? Like everything else () the Chinese seem to have invented the detective story. It's pretty good stuff.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I keep seeing that book in a local thrift shop. Should I pick it up?

• Pants of Righteousness
    Pants of Righteousness

Hi

A 'yes' from here too. If you liked Woman In White you might also like Collin's later work The Moonstone.

Pants

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I really enjoyed it Josie. I think it would be even better with the rainy weather outside.

Pants, I have that on my list.

But first I'm going to jump in to Stephen Kings 11/22/63. I read the first chapter, and I'm hooked.

• likeabird
    likeabird

Excellent book. One of the best ever.

So is his book No Name.

Armadale is the one that really leaves you thinking and scratching your head.

Really one of the greatest writers. A real artist with the pen.

I keep seeing that book in a local thrift shop. Should I pick it up?

Yes, most definitely!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hmmm....

The only "woman in white" that I'm familiar with, is an ancient sea-story that goes something to the effect that if a sailor sees a mysterious "woman in white", she's a harbinger of an approaching disaster - like the ship sinking...

Probably based on the Irish "banshee", among other legends.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Yes, "The woman in white" is fantastic, as is "The Moonstone" by the same author

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

The Woman In White and The Moonstone are 2 books that I read over and over. I first read Woman in White as a teenager.

Nugget likes Wilkie Collins, too. And she knows more of his books than I do.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Okay...

I just read a synopsis on Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woman_in_White_(novel)

Sounds interesting; but with the Victorian predeliction for insanity in the family....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit