Do the elders have "clear direction" that it's ok to use an ipad at meetings?

by nochoice 35 Replies latest jw friends

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

several in our cong use them , including me when im there. they are a really practical tool when put to proper use... playing angry birds...

• Pterist
    Pterist

*** I can't wait to dilegently work on other things during the meeting!***

Dont get your hopes up. I have speculated that the org. will have Their own "approved" (hardwired and censored) iPad in conjunction their JW.ORG registered trade mark.

Any suggestions for a name for such a device ?

How about .......watchPad...( they know where you have been surfing via feedback cookies ooooooooooo)

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well, keep in mind, again, that the coming week's meeting is having a presentation on using *your own* mobile device to show someone jw.org.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has been tweaking this for quite some time, changing it as more and more jws have access to technology. I remember when I could find the scriptures online from the WT study article printed out in a full quote...saved looking it up. People were counseled for not looking up the scripture in the NWT themselves (although you could do that yourself and print it out).

Some jws just love rules and the WTS gives the elders permission to have rules to keep things "orderly" until it hits the "white shirt" level and they keep a stock of white shirts for the visiting speakers that don't know the "rules" there.

*** km 9/95 p. 6 par. 8 Maintaining a Balanced View of Computer Technology ***

What about the distribution of computer printouts of scriptures used in the Watchtower Study or in the Congregation Book Study? Well, it may be preferable for publishers to make their individual notes and markings right in the Bible and the publications being studied. At the meeting, use of computer printouts of Scripture texts that are cited in the publications could discourage use of the Bible itself in finding scriptures. Yet looking up Scripture texts during a Bible study or at a congregation meeting is part of the training received, equipping us for effective use of the Bible in the field ministry. In most instances, and especially with longer quotations, reading directly from the Bible is more effective, particularly when the audience is encouraged to follow along in the Bible.

*** w02 6/15 p. 15 par. 14 Follow the Royal Pattern ***

One woman, who was about 65 years old when she became a Christian, wrote on the inside cover of her Bible the date when she began to read it through and later the date when she finished it. She now has five pairs of dates! (Deuteronomy 32:45-47) And rather than read from a computer screen or printout, she had the Bible in her hands.

*** km 9/09 p. 2 par. 3 Skillfully Use the Bible ***

Make it a practice to open your Bible and follow along during congregation meetings. When engaging in personal study and in preparation for congregation meetings, look up the cited Scriptural texts and meditate on their application. Many find that reading Bible texts directly from the Bible rather than from a computer monitor or printout makes it easier to locate them later when needed in the ministry.—John 14:26.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Ha! Thanks for the "old light" quotes. I'm guessing a Brother Fogey in the writing department is no longer around to protest that, back in the day, their Bibles weren't even bound, they were in scrolls, and it took three minutes to look up a scripture, and they LIKED it that way!

Those quotes do have one good point, though. Enough of the friends have trouble finding some of the less popular books as it is ("Lamentations 1:12?! Oh f---!"). I even had trouble finding Ruth this morning during the study! iBibles will only make it worse.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Hi Blondie, I was struck in what you wrote by that phrase "people were counselled for not looking up the scripture in the NWT themselves..."

Only in the Watchtower world is the word "counselled" used to mean the sort of advice that constitutes blam-casting, a reprimand. And then there's that awful term "adjust" as in "adjusting" someone's thinking, a term otherwise used in Stalinist Russia.

1984? Brave New World?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit