When You Were A JW Were You Disturbed By "Apostate" Literature or "Apostates" At Conventions?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

I don't give a damn about exJW stories Hemp, but I hope you are enjoying a lazy night

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

I remember when I was a kid there were always people picketing outside the DA in Vancouver. My dad told me to not even look at them as we walked by. Honestly they just seemed crazy. I don't think they had the effect they meant to.. Or maybe they did?

In the town where I lived a few years ago the was a very old guy who had a big sign on his little old red car that said CHRIST'S WITNESS and a website URL underneath as he drove very slowly around town. One time he was picketing our little local KH with a big cross. As we walked by he said something about the watchtower... Didn't hear exactly.i believe he died a couple years ago.

Does anyone know the town or the old fella I'm talking about? I can't say where, still undercover.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

LOL @ Beks. I am, thank you very much. Watching the Giants beat the Cardinals. I want the Cardinals to win, but the Giants have hotter players, so I'm feeling a bit torn at the moment.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Hey hemplover,

I'd love to hear the story

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I used to see them most summers outside the main gates of Twickenham and always wondered abut the long list of dates on the placards, another used to say "Read the Bible not the Watchtower" the signs caught my attention over the years, one year I walked up to one of the guys (about my age) and he tried to give me a tract, I told him you are fulfilling Bible prophecy, he said how is that , I said members of the truth would be persecuted! he just laughed.

• FWFranz
    FWFranz

I remember in the mid 70's when I was pioneering, seeing a group of people protesting outside the Toronto Bethel with signs that said, "Truth Decay". I had no idea what their message was, and admittedly I was shocked to see them there. They had paper bags over their heads to protect their identities.

FWFranz

• minimus
    minimus

They had paper bags over their heads like the Unknown Comic.

Anyone remember him on The Gong Show?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I only ever saw one guy who'd picket outside the local assembly hall every weekend. He never looked crazy, just bedraggled, 'cause it always seemed to be raining on assembly days.

I actually felt kinda sorry for him for always being all alone in the wet.

I never thought he was "demonized", though (just maybe misguided); and I was aware by that time that some people did and do fall through the cracks in the WTS and often felt severely hurt by the experience, so I didn't feel overly inclined to judge.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Yes - it scared me. It was an invitation by Satan himself! LOL!
    However, when I was ready to question more seriously, I had no qualms about reading apostate literature. I must admit though, that to this day, I still hate reading about the trinity and those who left the WTS to go to yet another religion. THAT, I despise. Otherwise, I'm thankful of all the apostates that have opened up.

My personal brand of apostasy is more rejecting the idea of YHWH and turning to atheism, than wasting my time with the WTS's BS. Although it does amuse me to see them get what they deserve, like in the Conti case. :D

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

We were convinced that these were evil people and we were repulsed by them...it was like forbidden fruit to just glance at the picketers as we came and went from a DC. We were always told that they were followers of the Evil Slave class that broke away from the Society in the early 80's, and that even looking at their signs was the first step in "falling away" from the Truth! Sheesh...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit