Questions/Points That Went Unanswered

by Still Recovery 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Elephant
    Elephant

By our insulting him and being critical, we can drive him away and make him feel like it's true that only those in the organization are loving. Or we could welcome him, answer him respectably, and help him to see that there is life outside of the Watchtower. Happy life. Real life. True life. Life that is not based on the rules and regulations of a man made organization that makes claims to supreme power from an ultimate authority. Belief in a God that is not the judgmental one that the Watchtower teaches.

christ alone-

...tsk, tsk...not the 'warmth' and attitude i've seen from you in other threads, christalone...

• biblecheck
    biblecheck

---> Christ Alone Yeah, but can't we be the bigger person? Can't we show ourselves to be respectable after coming out of the Watchtower?

I must say, when I first contacted "apostates" I lucked onto some very helpful people. It didn't take long to realize the reputation of these people had been completely demonized by the Governing Body. I was terrified of apostates based on....nothing! This helped speed up my exiting. So showing love to them can't hurt - and maybe help JWs who are having doubts, but still feel loyal to the Watchtower. Because lets face it - most of us have gone through that phase.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

JWs who are having doubts, but still feel loyal to the Watchtower. Because lets face it - most of us have gone through that phase.

I have to agree, biblecheck. I certainly felt that way about apostates at the beginning, too. The brainwashing can be difficult to reverse.

• Elephant
    Elephant

It didn't take long to realize the reputation of these people had been completely demonized by the Governing Body. I was terrified of apostates based on....nothing!

biblecheck-

...let's see...the gb warns against apostates due to their ability to convince someone to leave the org...

...nothing?...

...you've confirmed the veracity of the gb's warning my friend...

• biblecheck
    biblecheck

---> Elephant the gb warns against apostates due to their ability to convince someone to leave the org...

Absolutely agreed - it's really interesting, because other cults such as the Church of the LDS, deploy a similar tactic. I was for a time really fascinated from a purely intellectual view point of the Mormons, because of the similarities between them and JWs. Their Ensign mag is identical to the Awake! in many ways. The Mormons also believe in active shunning "disaffected ones" and view any as apostate who questions the Church.

This experience blogged by a young Mormon on how communication with "apostates" has made him a realize how little he knew about his own church and beliefs, it's really interesting as it shows the power of "outside" and online influence.

He writes (quote) ... though having been sharply advised against searching out anti-Mormon material, that’s where I first went. With my returned-missionary zeal, I was going to go out and prove every single one of the points wrong. I knew that I could research and find out the blatant lies that people were telling and really do the church a good service..... As my desire to know everything about Mormonism increased, so did the necessity of interaction with people who were disaffected, at one stage or another along the disaffection journey. I started out immediately dismissing all of them, to mocking them, to ignoring them. “They are just twisting the truth,” I would tell myself. “They leave the church, but can’t leave it alone, and it’s all because it’s TRUE!” I obviously knew everything, and in my arrogance, thought to tell those that had left that they should abandon everything that they had grown up with, everything that they had circled their lives around, and everything that was the focal point of many of their families as well....I was so foolish....

Highly recommended reading, it's well written and from the heart, a lot you here would really appreciate where he is coming from...

• Elephant
    Elephant

---> Elephantthe gb warns against apostates due to their ability to convince someone to leave the org...

Absolutely agreed-

-

...glad I could clear it up for you...biblecheck...

• biblecheck
    biblecheck
    ---> Elephant ...glad I could clear it up for you...biblecheck...

hmmm...I am not sure what you thought you had cleared up, I think we are all on the same page on this subject, unless I have missed something, or you misread something.

Just to clarify I didn't leave the Watchtower because of reading "apostate material" or talking to "apostates". I came to my own conclusion through doing my own research. For me, at the time - communication with "apostates" was not an option. I started reading Crisis of Conscience, Captives of a Concept about 2 years after leaving The Watchtower, and communication on exJW forums started about 7 yrs after.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Hello Still Recovery!!! (and Elephant)

Still R- Better Avatar than the Yam, but Olin Moyle would have been less provocative. But, clearly, you really like provocative.

Anyway, it makes for better viewing. I know I will be watching!!!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Christ Alone said:

Did you have to include the last 5 words? That was just a jab. He's done some stuff wrong, but he's been honest about his position and what he's trying to prove to himself. Leave him alone...

My reply:

Ok, I will accept and start anew...accepting him as though we are starting over. You are right, at one point or another any one of us would have had his previous attitude.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I'm not sure of when he can start posting again but I'm sure many are awaiting a double apology for his shoddy treatment of Paul Grundy of jwfacts.com, that's jwfacts.com, an apology for printing the offending PM, and evidence of the permission that was alleged to have been given to post said PM, I'm sure we will wait with baited breath.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit