Jesus or Jehovah?

by Seven 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ianao
    ianao

Simon, I feel for you. I too had these thoughts at one point in time. I too thought that this all was a pile of poo invented by people to give themselves a purpose.

The Bible is truly a unique book that has it's groundings in History, and is evidently something that was given to us by someone or somebody that knew a great deal more about us then we could ever hope to know.

I think you are seeing in the Bible (today!) God's word, with a great deal of men's slant. That's why it seems so uninspired. People have killed and been killed over the Bible. I would try to encourage you to keep seeking truth, but that's for you to decide. I just hope love of God prevails. You wouldn't have a Bible to read if he didn't love you.

-ianao

• thinker
    thinker

I find these discussions concerning bible translation most interesting. It reminds me of the 3 blind men who stumble upon an elephant. The 1st touches it's trunk and says:"Elephants are long and slender, like a snake. The 2nd touches it's leg and says:"No, they're round and stout like a tree. The 3rd has it's tail and says:"Elephants are small and hairy like a mouse."
    By focusing on SMALL parts, we lose sight of the WHOLE.
    My opinion? The Bible is one of many good books that can help us lead "good" lives. I have read secular books which have far more meaning to me personally than the Bible.
    Can anyone read the Bible and use it as a guide? Of course!! My reasoning is simple. I'm no bible scholar, but I know this: Jesus tried to teach the Elders and religious schorlars of his day and these scholars rejected Jesus's message. It was the common people who got it! IMHO the message of the Bible is available to EVERY common man. Step back and see the big picture.
    Organized religions would have you believe you need them to "translate" the Bible and only their translation is correct. That's when the trouble starts.
    Perhaps the NWT is the most accurate translation of the Bible, but does that give the WTBTS free rein to control your life? I hear of many people who are convinced of the accuracy of the NWT and then blindly follow ANYTHING coming from the governing body.

ianao: I admire your position. If I understand you correctly, you believe the Bible should be THE book to live your life by and you study with witnesses because that translation seems most accurate to you. But, you resist getting baptised to avoid the contolling authority of an organized religion. Is this correct?

thinker

• ianao
    ianao

Hello Thinker.

Organized religions would have you believe you need them to "translate" the Bible and only their translation is correct. That's when the trouble starts.

I agree whole-heartedly. The organizational mentality (in my opinion) comes from those who are spiritually/intellectually superior trying to get lamens to see the big picture, as it were. They've read the commandment to make deciples of themselves (a.k.a preach) and they want to be heard. What's the easiest way to be heard by many? Draw a crowd, and preach to them. When Jesus did this, the result was magnificent. Many people followed, and the crowds grew greater and greater. Their 'attraction' to him seemed to be his purity, honesty, compassion, heart-felt love, and maybe just a little bit of being the Son of Jehovah.

Now you get imperfect humans trying to preach and draw crowds (as they were told to do), and suddenly purity/honesty/compassion/love are not a givin. 'Repute', 'political standing', 'namesake', and 'motive' come into play, yet the crowds grow. Soon, the will of KEEPING the crowd (i.e. community) overrides the original purpose of TEACHING, and sometimes undermines it. In a nutshell, you now have organized religion, a pittiful attempt by imperfect humans to be the perfect ministers. Throw in personal opinion, scholarly disagreement, and deliberate deceit (in some cases) and you have the perfect imperfection.

ianao: I admire your position. If I understand you correctly, you believe the Bible should be THE book to live your life by and you study with witnesses because that translation seems most accurate to you. But, you resist getting baptised to avoid the contolling authority of an organized religion. Is this correct?

Please don't admire my position, as it is one of great internal termoil. You are very perceptive though, as I do resist/avoid babtism as a JW in reluctance of getting snared into yet another worldly religion. The WTBTS has done a great job at clearing up mysteries that cloud God's true direction, but they have gone overboard (in my opinion) by applying the scripture to themselves. I Think anyone who TRULY acknowledges that the Bible is the word of God Almighty could have sought the scriptures and found the 'truth' that the Bible Students happened to 'stumble' upon so many years ago. I don't think that God chose them, I think that they chose God. They started UNDERSTANDING what he said, instead of taking dogmatic/traditional BELIEF and applying it to scripture. They broke the bondings of the Roman Catholic church and it's pagan/Christian hybrid theology, which was fed to protestant churches, and unfortunately, is still in practice today.

It's easy to see why today so many battles have been fought over Christianity. Seems inevitable really. Look at the 'Holy Wars' endorsed by the Catholic church, not to mention the inquisition! I don't want to be baptized a JW, because I see an organization that is becoming more and more like the Catholic church. In subtle ways, it seems the society is matting out rules and regulations with scriptural origins being vague at best. If JWs or any of us are around for another 100 years, I see even stricter control coming from the society to keep the numbers growing (as I see today!) I wonder how far the GB is from being as controlling and abnoxious as the Pope when they teach a witness who wants to leave to ask themself 'Where will I go? You have sayings of everlasting life...' (not an exact quote, I realize.) My JW friend keeps spouting this scripture to me in hopes of convincing me that the society is the place to be, but what he doesn't seem to understand is that applying this scripture (as Jesus spoke it) in this fashion is equating the WTBTS with Jesus. When I remind him of his distaste in the Pope equating himself with Jesus, he never comments.

-ianao

Edited by - ianao on 20 December 2000 14:11:22

• Kristen
    Kristen
    I have read secular books which have far more meaning to me personally than the Bible. -Thinker

Thinker, would you mind sharing the titles of some of those books? I'm always looking for some good reading.

Thanks.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Came across this on another site---so thought I'd throw it out here for all to see and/or comment on.

Regarding the Alpha and Omega (Rev.22:13-15) the organization has apparently waffled back and forth:

Watchtower Alpha & Omega is:
    7-01-'55 Jesus 11-15-'67 Jehovah
    10-01-'78 Jesus 12-01-'99 Jehovah

Perhaps some of you who have access to
    these magazine issues could check it out.

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

I use several translations. The one I probably use the most is: The New Jerusalem Bible. I also use the NWT a lot, not because I find it to be one of the most accurate translations.

Anyone who understands the prophecies that are lined out in the Bible and research the historical information that supports it, will see that the Bible is more than a good book to live your life by.

There is much information that is out there to try to prove Bible prophecy is lacking in facts. The information I have seen in this regard is indeed lacking in research and facts.

• Citsym
    Citsym

If Jehovah was one of many Gods who had an interest in the earth, wouldn't that change the way we interpret sections of the bible.. No disrespect to Jehovah, but though he maybe a powerful God, and one that attempted to deliver the truth of humans existance, perhaps there is a creator above him! Seems that way to me...

• OBVES
  • OBVES
  • OBVES

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit