New Governing Body Member: Hugo Riemer - More WT Revisionist History

by 00DAD 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• free @ last
    free @ last

Post 205 of 205
    Since 4/8/2008

In answer to Free @ Last, Hayden Covington never professed to be of the anointed, yet he served as a director (Vice President) of the WTS during the time when the Governing Body was said to be associated with the directors of the Society. As well, this is the mishegoss that allows Hugo Riemer to be viewed as a member of the Governing Body.

Thanks for the answer DNC. So I suppose this is really opening the door to naming more non-anointed members to the GB. It's already been done retroactively. So interesting. An other sheepel = GB member = part of the FDS (at least on Wednesday mornings). This is really getting hilarious

How long until they make this bit of new light official? I can just see a family member of mine trying out for the next appointment.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Thanks, MacHislopp, but the references you have indicated to me do not suffice. They were published in 1971, after the Governing Body had been created. True, they make allusions to a “governing body” that had been around in 1944, but an allusion is not the same as documentation. So it would have been very easy for The Watchtower magazine to put words in somebody else’s mouth to the effect that there was a governing body around in the 1940s. Also, a “governing body” is not the same as the “Governing Body” that holds sway over Jehovah’s Witnesses today. The latter has been a proper noun in Witness argot only since 1971 when it was formally created. That cannot be said of the former usage which was a common noun used in reference to more than one religious organization.

Quendi

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Since this organization has come up with mountainous amounts of doctrinal BS since its founding inception,

its not unnatural or unusual to see more BS about who they publicly self identify themselves.

The truthful and easy answer to why there's been so much BS out of this organization is that its religious publishing house,

set on creating doctrines to enhance the proliferation of their published goods. Its really not hard to understand.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Finkelstein - "set on creating doctrines to enhance the proliferation of their published goods. Its really not hard to understand."

Good point. Changing doctrine gives them something new to publish. Otherwise, they could just have a few handbooks like normal religions.

• kepler
    kepler

I'm sure many are already aware, but I'll state it anyway.

In books "Crisis of Conscience" and "In Search of Christian Freedom", Ray Franz devotes chapters to the Governing Body and the Faithful and Discreet Slave, respectively in chapters 3 and 5. It would be difficult to summarize the two chapters point by point; and if I did, we would find that Franz's views and presentations on this subject would muddy the case further. For Ray Franz joins the governing body in 1971, right at the time that it expands beyond the board of directors. In introducing the matter in CoC, he states that "Jesus Christ... governs the 'faithful and discreet slave' class, ... now said to be composed of a remnant of 144,000 persons anointed as heirs of Christ's heavenly kingdom. But from among such class there is a small number of men who act as a Governing Body, and perform all administrative functions for the global congregation, not only for the present number of about 'anointed' out of whom these men are drawn, but also for the approximately 6.1 million other associated who are not considered to be among the heavenly heirs."

Much of this chapter really regards what the Governing Body has to say about sexual relations. But when Ray Franz points out that Nathan Knorr as president has administrative control, he adds that VP Fred Franz in a 15 December '71 Watchtower provides a more ambitious role for the GB. This came about only after January 1976.

In the book "In Search ofChristian Freedom", a fter quoting Matthew 24:45-47, Ray Franz began:

“In their calls for loyalty and submission , no other portion of Scripture is so frequently appealed to by the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses as that found in the verse quoted above.

“Their claims of organizational authority rest not only upon their interpretation of this parabolic statement of Jesus Christ, but more especially upon the way they make use of that interpretation. It is employed primarily to support the way they make use of that interpretation. It is employed primarily to support the claims of a centralized administrative authority, exercising extensive control over all members of the Christian congregation (understood by Witnesses as applying only to themselves).”

Franz notes that Rutherford early in his career supported the claims that Russell was the Wise and Faithful Servant because he was consolidating his own position as his successor. But then there was the matter of the FDS throughout history - and Ray Franz and the current new light seem to be on the same page.

"First we note that the WTS's teaching is that the "slave class" has had a continuous, uninterrupted existence (Italics from the text) from its beginning in 33 AD until the present time, the Watchtower of January 15, 1975, pages 46 and 47, emphasized this..."

Then Watchtower 15 July 1943 is cited for existence of an FDS from AD 1878 to 1918.

Ray Franz is sceptical.

"The Watchtower makes occasional references to groups in the Middle Ages, such as the Waldenses, the Lollards, and similar groups, with at least the implication that they have been among the genuine Christians of their time - which would make them part of the 'faithful and discrete slave class'. The fact that these religious fellowships often believed such doctrines as the trinity,the immortality of the soul, and similar doctrines is glossed over..."

What follows is a disassembly of the FDS concept through history.

So what is the FDS going to say now? That they read about this in the same source? Or that the only guy on the GB that had the current new liight was kicked out decades ago like the Lollards or Waldensers?

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

00DAD said:

King Solomon: I think you are missing the significance of their claiming this as "New Light" from YHWH

No. There was no such claim. Read the WT article. It is just a seemingly insignificant comment in the article on 31 of the 8/15/2012 WT.

As OnTheWayOut commented on page 1 of this thread, "I doubt too many will notice that. It's actually huge. They continue to re-write their own history. Probably a preemptive strike to build up their FDS-is-only-the-Governing-Body nonsense. They need there to alway have been a GB."

Yup.

Since no one has actually READ the "new light" policy yet, there's no way to know what the details will be until it's released, and whether it'll cover such a statement in the 8/15/12 WT. We're hence limited to speculation.

HOWEVER, this kind of move was hinted at in CoC as a way to consolidate control from an individual/corporation to the GB, a move which was obviously opposed by Rutherford/Knorr, and came to a head in Knorr's day (with the Committee of Five). Per Franz, it worked for two years, until old patterns reemerged. Subsequently, the GB had plenty of time to plan for this "new light", and it'll be interesting to see how they handle the transition (which allows them to sweep the mess documented in CoC under the rug, which will work at least for what must be an extremely small minority of JWs who are aware of any of the "old history").

The GB probably figures it's never too early to lay the groundwork for such retroactive change, under the cover of being spirit-directed, and not as contradictory and damning mistakes that expose the BS. So they rewrite their history under the cover of "new light", and once again, like with Noah's Flood, they can say "God Dun It!".

Remember: in order to know the FULL BACK-STORY, A JW would have to read CoC, and that's not likely to happen since they look at apostate literature as a vampire at the sight of a cross.

I found this passage from CoC particularly relevant:

Again, there seems to be a strong parallel with those among Jehovah’s Witnesses who continue to hope, in spite of any evidence to the contrary, that some type of major reform will take place. As stated earlier, even the recent changes made seem to be simply a case of dealing with symptoms rather than the root cause of the illness or disease, which is the heavy emphasis on organizational authority and its right to dictate to human consciences and control personal thinking. As Davis puts it: “There is a possibility that the cause of the disease will be advocated as its remedy.”

Thus, each Watchtower article setting out a major change, fails to face up to the problem of the original false reasoning and misuse of Scripture that makes change necessary. Rather, it consistently seeks to cast the change in the light of evidence for putting trust in, and being submissive to, the system that gave the wrong understanding, not only gave it but insisted on it and took action against any not accepting it. In each case, as well, one sees clear and regrettable evidence that the change results, not from pure love of truth or deep devotion to Scripture or compassionate concern for people, but comes instead when the previous position has become precarious, difficult to sustain, sometimes embarrassingly so, as with regard to certain teachings relating to 1914, or, in other cases, when interests in avoiding taxation or other restrictions are at stake.13 That is why the hopes for genuine and fundamental reform, for the present at least, give evidence of being essentially wishful thinking.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

King Solomon: Since no one has actually READ the "new light" policy yet, there's no way to know what the details will be until it's released, and whether it'll cover such a statement in the 8/15/12 WT. We're hence limited to speculation.

First let me say that that was one of the most lucid and logical posts out of all of yours that I have read here on JWN, and you have made many good ones! Really well articulated. Thank you.

The intriguing hints we've had on "New Light" leaked from the Annual Meeting do dovetail nicely with written discrepancies such as the item which is the focal point of this thread.

I firmly believe--but I openly acknowledge that it is my private speculation--that subtle and easily missed historical revisions such as this are part of the WT Writers' scheme(s) to lay what you call "groundwork" for officially released "New Light" yet to come.

While I cannot prove such claims, because to do so would require an open admission from someone in authority, from my observations as a JW for over 25 years I have observed an undeniable pattern that to my mind clearly points to a deliberate plan to revise and rewrite JW "History" to fit and support upcoming changes in doctrine. Although the "smoking gun" proof is elusive, the mountain of circumstantial evidence of such a conspiracy is undeniable. The pattern is there. We have over 100 years of evidence.

The implications of this and similar recent WT events are astounding. It means that whoever is in control of this organization has a carefully thought out plan for future doctrinal changes and they implement it through a series of very carefully crafted tactics and strategies. They are patient. They take their time. They know what they are doing. Their highly skillful use of the subtle and powerful tools of propaganda belie their publicly proclaimed agenda of promoting Christian values from a loving God.

It also clearly shows that they are completely aware of what they are doing. They know that they are being deceptive, misleading and manipulative. Perhaps they believe the ends justify the means, I don't know, but Hitler and Stalin both believed the same things. Look where that led. The personal beliefs and motivations of the WTBTS leaders are frankly irrelevant, it is their actions and obvious lies that are completely relevevant.

Let's not forget that this is an organization that loudly and publicly proclaims from "door-to-door and house-to-house" that they, and only they, are the one true religion. Their literature is full of boasts about the importance of having "accurate knowledge" and being truthful in small details. "He who is faithful in what is least, is faithful in what is most." (Luke 16:10)

This blatantly deceptive "re-categorizing" and upgrade of a former corporate board member to "Governing Body" status is completely dishonest. Whoever wrote this is either completely ignorant of JW/WTBTS history (which I don't believe) or he has intentionally twisted the facts to support his particular agenda (which is what I do believe). Either way, it is proof positive that God is not involved with this organization, at least not any god that I would want to worship. That god is unworthy of me.

I'm happy to unmask the treachery.

00DAD

• processor
    processor
    what 00DAD has said remains true: there was no Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses prior to 1971

Yes! We know that there was no GB before 1971, and "the president" was "the society" was "the governing body" was "god's channel".

Still, JW's are not aware of this. THEY believe that there has always been a Governing Body (as it is written in the Watchtower and the Watchtower contains the truth).

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sounds like the Boys in Brooklyn are trying to resolve a problem which stood for many years of who was really the F&DSL ?

Maybe subconsciously they are starting to see their little religious Watchtower starting to fracture and fall apart and they are now trying to strengthen

up what they see starting to crumble. God bless the inter-net

• 00DAD
    00DAD

bumpin' it for those that missed it.

It's particularly relevant now that ...

It's Official! The Governing Body IS the Faithful and Discreet Slave (Annual Meeting Report - jw.org)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit