Had a visit on Saturday from 2 JWs

by poppers 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• poppers
    poppers

In the course of my encounter I let them know how I felt about their shunning policy and how it destroys families, and referenced oompa. The lady said there would be more suicides if they didn't disfellowship people! Huh? The people who leave bring family discord upon themselves by choosing to no longer associate with their families. She brought up the pedophile issue in the RC church and I asked if she knew who Candace Conti was. It was obvious she did by her stunned silence and the look on her face, but she said no, so I educated her and her companion, her 12 year old grandaughter. I also tossed out Barbara Anderson's name and who she was.

Granny wouldn't commit to the fact that they believed the world was 6000 years old until I verbally cornered her, and then I asked why she didn't just admit that to begin with. Then it also came out in our discussion that the Bible is also their "science" book. I asked the grandaughter if she used it as her science book and she said yes (she is home schooled). I brought up other issues like the blood policy and changing doctrine and I got the usual response. Yes, even "transfusions" are mentioned in the Bible because the word "consume" covers that. I argued the point to no avail.

This was a return visit to drop off more literature at my sister's house. My 81 year old brother-in-law accepted an Awake several weeks ago because "they were so nice, and didn't try to force anything onto him." They are on a trip right now and I was checking up on things when they came, and it looked like they were expecting another easy placement. The presentation was from the grandaughter, and it was clear to me that they thought this would be an ideal time for her to do some easy field service. I got the grandaughter to admit that they "ratted out" people who said or did something that wasn't approved of - I actually used that phrase. I made it clear that if granny was going to take her out in field service I wouldn't just smile and take the literature because a child was present, but let them know what I really thought based on my own research. It was a sobering experience for the girl and granny was consoling her as they left. I felt a little bad about that, but I don't think children should be used that way. I know the indoctrination is deep and granny no doubt "set her straight", but the girl won't be feeling so good about going into fs next time.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Excellent Poppers!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Well done! The grandaughter isn't going to have the opportunity to challenge this belief system herself, she needs someone like yourself to start the process of questioning.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Granny wouldn't commit to the fact that they believed the world was 6000 years old until I verbally cornered her

Sounds to me like you were being a bit of a bully to "Granny".

JW's do not teach that the world is 6,000 years old. They teach that mankind is a little over 6,000 years old.

• carla
    carla

Maybe you gave the girl a few things to think about!

• perfect1
    perfect1

Without judging you for your actions- I do feel a bit sympathetic for the girl. She is probably being coerced to talk to people- her only social interaction since she does not attend school- and she is likely awkward and conditionally loved, and grandma probably holds an axe over her head. Its impossible to say if this accomplishes anything- they just have such deep persecution complexes they interpret everything that way. Luckily for me my short tenure in FS was met with mostly vacancies, had I encountered someone like yourself, I am not sure how I would have responded.

At the same time, as my adult self, I have a strong wish to DESTROY THE LIE that is the Jehovahs Witness Cult, and am not sure I could even remain composed enough to converse with any witness I happen to meet.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Well done. Particularly since the grand daughter is home schooled, she needs to see that there are other points of view out there.

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

I remember going out in FS when I would meet those "difficult" people. It was particularly impressionable when it was my door. It always made me not want to knock on any doors for fear of encountering another "difficult" person. But how you present it is everything to them. If you show them your not bitter or rude, and speak to them respectfully, that can make all the difference.

Good job though, hopefully you got some wheels in the head spinning. The fact that she is home schooled makes things very difficult.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hah!

Poppers, I was 12 - 13 years old and going door-to-door with some JW woman when a male householder at one of the doors looked me right in the eye and said, "Those people are using you"...

My ears pricked up, I tingled all over and I practically BEGGED the man to elaborate further, but the JW beeyotch with me was giving him the "stink-eye" and he didn't elaborate, just repeated what he'd said and then closed the door.

I don't remember whether the JW beeyotch said ANYthing about his comment on the way to the next door, but I remembered what HE said for more than 30 years! It was another 'chink' in the JW brainwashing that eventually made it all come crumbling down, allowing me to escape.

Well done, Poppers!!

• steve2
    steve2

You may have forced some overly-rich food down the throat of a budding anorexic. You may not have intended to, but you could very well have been perceived by your target as a bully. I'd be left wondering where the fire is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit