607 article on JW website

by Pubsinger 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011736

I've not bothered to read anything on this for years as I addressed it personally years ago. But in this official article they appear to be focusing all their argument on the '70 years' part of the debate. There appears to be no mention at all of the small detail of them needing it to be 607 for them to arrive at 1914 for the end of the Gentile Times.

Have they scrapped the 2520 years stuff?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

LOL :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

One for each member of the governing body, as they laugh at all those Witnesses without a higher education, and who ignore truth in favour of perversions, deceptions, and lies from their beloved 'Mother' in Brooklyn who'd never lie to them!

The article says -

"When were the Jews released? The decree ending their exile was issued in “the first year of Cyrus the king of Persia.” (See the box “A Pivotal Date in History.”) Thus, by the fall of 537 B.C.E., the Jews had returned to Jerusalem to restore true worship.—Ezra 1:1-5; 2:1; 3:1-5."

If J.W.'s do some simple research - even using the WT Library - they'll discover that the Jews liberation came in 539 BCE, not 2 years later in 537 BCE.

Boo-hoo, that only adds up to 68 years in servitude!!!

So let's get the WT bungee reasoning out again, and stretch it to fit our fake prediction! (Deuteronomy 18:21,22)

They'll convince some J.W.'s that black is white!

• zeb
    zeb

suggested reading:

"The Gentile Times Reconsidered"-Chronology of Christ's Return. by Carl Olof Jonsson.

ISBN: 0-914675-06-0. 3rd edition. Library of congress catalog card no: 86-70168.

Hard going as it is finely detailed. but;

• the way the elder who wrote it was treated by the wts revealed their almost standard practice of absent humility over shone by a blinding arrogance.
    • it blows THE KEY belief underpinning the whole wts to rubble.
  • Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Read 'Reconsidered' 15 years ago. I know all about the 607 myth.

What I am asking is: are they no longer tying 607 to the 2520 years ending in 1914? And just using the 'signs of the times' to support 1914?

If they are then 607 no longer matters and this whole article is just to save face and make them appear scholarly.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

What I am asking is: are they no longer tying 607 to the 2520 years ending in 1914? And just using the 'signs of the times' to support 1914?

They still tie 607 to 1914 via the 70 weeks of years nonsense. I think the reason they fail to mention 1914 is because it would show the obvious bias of the article. When you're trying to convince someone of something you don't want them to know that everything else you're trying to convince them of hangs on that one thing. Also, a lot of JWs don't have a clue about how 1914 was arrived at (or, really, how it was supposedly arrived at) so they don't want to tie it to 607 in an article that calls the 607 date into question.

It's all rather clever - you "prove" something to someone as if it doesn't really matter, so they'll be less likely to care enough to really investigate it. Then, later on, you reference the "fact" that you've "proven" earlier and they'll remember accepting the prior point and not that they didn't bother to really investigate it. They'll just assume it's true because they accepted it at the time. That's how so much of cult indoctrination goes, and why the indoctrination is slow in the case of JWs. They say things that don't seem important, so it's not worth pushing the matter and risking the new friends you have - but when you find out that it was important, you don't realize you never actually had it explained in a satisfactory way.

• Londo111
    Londo111

The Gentile Times equation is still in play. Last October, they piped a video into all the Kingdom Halls during the service meeting which was a demonstration on how to explain 607 BC + 2520 years = 1914 to a householder.

For any JWs who happen to have found this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-K8pyVfKcU&index=1&list=PLyNx0oM_bmgDJHQFzgm4L0rRuPpwTOVmz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtFtd_wlv08&index=1&list=PLyNx0oM_bmgDh49TxoG_6jXALSqcB5COp

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Searcher,

You shared this:

"When were the Jews released? The decree ending their exile was issued in “the first year of Cyrus the king of Persia.” (See the box “A Pivotal Date in History.”) Thus, by the fall of 537 B.C.E., the Jews had returned to Jerusalem to restore true worship.—Ezra 1:1-5; 2:1; 3:1-5."

If J.W.'s do some simple research - even using the WT Library - they'll discover that the Jews liberation came in 539 BCE, not 2 years later in 537 BCE."

When the WTBTS say " by the fall of..." they "evidently" mean that the event in question occured around that time and before that point in time passed. So 537 is the latest the Jews could have been liberated. For 1914 to work, the liberation must have occured in a specific window of time.

Now I'm confused because it can't work at all... Anyway, I think that's how dubs would try to defend it.

DD

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They certainly seem to be very wary of actually mentioning the 2520 years nonsense.which it plainly is, just a quick look at Daniel 4 without JW Specs on, shows that the 7 years were fulfilled upon the King, which = end of and fulfillment of the prophecy.

No way can a sane person stretch this simple "prophecy" to apply in the 20th or 21st Century

The problem with the 2520 years is as you say, 607 BCE is the one year in History where nothing at all happened. The destruction of Jerusalem took place 20 years later. So 2520 years does not bring you to 1914.

Ergo, neither does counting back 70 years from 537 BCE , a year chosen by the WT to make 607 and therefore 1914 credible, as the Searcher says, the Jews were released in 539 BCE. The only way it would have taken 2 years to reach Jerusalem would have been if they had used my local 'bus "service".

The whole 1914 thing, and the whole "The End is Near" piffle have lost all credibility in about 10 minutes of someone looking at facts on the Internet.

Come on JW's WAKE UP !

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Come on JW's WAKE UP !

I don't want to, leave me alone!

Image result for turning alarm off in sleep pic

• Phizzy
    Phizzy
    Sadly, J.A, that sums up the attitude of my JW family, and of most JW's today, I fear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit