How BIG was YOUR JW book-bag?

by Scully 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

I used to like bags with lots of compartments in too!! Just right for keeping all the S8's nice and tidy.

Trouble is I never remembered to hand them in so my bag ALWAYS had old S8's screwed up in the bottom.

Maybe 4 or 5 weeks later I would hand them to my book study conductor, who would just look at me regretfully!!

I look on it as a service to all those Not Homes who were never called back on cos their numbers were in my bag!! Hahahahaha.

Nowfree

• flower
    flower

kenP,

Thats funny, I was just about to tell what MY parents got me for my high school graduation and then I saw your post. LOL.

My mom went all out though and got me a stylish, fake Louis Vitton dressy service bag.

It hardly ever got used cause I didnt spend much time in field service after HS.

flower

• LDH
    LDH

Puh-leese don't tell me I'm the only person in this whole forum who went to that Brother's shop in Tijuana Mexico.

You know, the dude who lives/works on 19th Avenue and custom makes your bag/bible holders on the SPOT!

Mine was pearlized shiny-opal-like thing which I had further embossed with my initials! YEAH BABY! (What did you expect from a reg pio?)

Now, yer gonna ask me how I remember where that dude's shop was. This is funny. When I was like 18 I went with my family to Mexico on vacation and we made special plans for an all-day excursion to this brother's shop! (The Mexican bros and sis told us where they got their bags. Of course, we also spent endless days hunting down the Mexican JW's because they're just a "cultural organization" but that's another story. [8>] )

ANYHOW....we're in the center of downtown Tijuana, and my dad keeps asking for directions. (ummmm....never ask a Mexican or a Puerto Rican for directions, LOL) We were standing on 1st street, so we figured logically it would be an easy trek to 19th street, we'd just walk and browse the shops. These Mexican taxicab drivers kept telling my father it was MILES away, and of course we all thought they were lying to get cab fare. I'll never forget this one cabbie's words:

"If you don't take it you ain't gonna make it!"

Sure enough, the brilliant city fathers of Tijuana decided to put like 500 streets between 18th street and 19th street.

Three hours later we arrive dusty and exhausted and dehydrated. It was freakin hysterical, even then.

My dad just kept insisting that we keep walking, because surely it was right around the next corner! LOL!

Thanks for the memory, Scully. I will see if I can find the pictures we took of ourselves on our hike.

What a way to spend a vacation.

Lisa
    Now of the Coach Class

• LDH
    LDH

bttt

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Wow brother Farkel,

you musta had no trouble fending off dogs and angry priests with a thing like that between ya legs!

I still recon the BIGGEST witnessing bag was luged by Max Babel (appropriate name - he carried watchtower litteriture in every language on the planet, then some! - for "ship-work")

unclebruce

• berylblue
    berylblue
    Did anyone else ever notice that the more "spiritual" people wanted to appear, the bigger their briefcase was? Not just for field service, either

Uh oh. I guess all the signs of lack of spirituality were there with me right from the start. I never brought a book bag to the KH, and if I remembered my Bible and WT, it was a miracle. I never had what I was "supposed" to have with me. In service, I usually just had a bible and some magazines. And money for whomever drove that day. At least I was good that way.

Beryl

• rocketman
    rocketman

I was cong. sec. for a while, and bought a bigger case to carry all the papers. I hated it and shelved it for my smaller briefcase. In service, I tried going as lean as possible - not always possible, especially during book offer campains.

• Huxley
    Huxley

My baptism present was a bong.

Just kidding, it was a big old service bag. Perfect for the jet-setting young witness on the go!

I always thought it would be cool to carry some back issues from the 70's and 80's and try to place them. Remember the cheap newsprint paper and crappy graphics?

Huxley

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

My bookbag was fair sized, I remember it was black and I bought it at Kmart back in the early 1980's. I remember it being full of Watchtowers and Awakes, which mostly I placed at laundrymats. AND I remember throwing it away in the dumpster when I left the Watchtower. What a wonderful feeling that was!

• minimus
    minimus

When I became an elder, my wife bought me the BIGGEST elder bag that's ever been made. EVERYONE knew I was an elder! As time went by, I stopped carrying that piece of luggage with me and just left it in my trunk. I would only take it out when I was going on a judicial meeting.(see that bag scares people) or to elder's school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit