Jehovah's Witnesses Watchtower SUICIDE . How many JW suicides can you recall?

by Anti-Cult 62 Replies latest watchtower medical

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I can only think of 2 in my stint with the WT Corporation maybe a 3rd one at Bethel not sure because he was found at the bottom of the elevator shaft in the old Squib building owned by the Organization.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Holy Cow - you guys - I know of two myself, mother and son.

Is anyone keeping statistics on this ?? It must be way off the normal scale

of suicides in the general population, just indicated from the reports in this thread.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Suicide is almost always preceded by severe depression, which - in many, many instances - is a symptom of mental health problems.

If there's a more-than-average and/or increasing amount of suicides amongst WTS membership, it implys that there is a more-than-average and/or increasing amount of depression/mental health problems plaguing the R&F...

I personally heard this observation from a devout JW woman I knew years ago when I was still in, so it's certainly not all in the XJW community's collective head (no pun intended).

• jws
    jws

I know of one for sure. Kinda close to home because her husband was my brother-in-law's brother. It happened when I was pretty young, probably about 10, so I couldn't say I had an adult perspective to judge her sanity. My sister said she was having mental issues and wasn't treated. May have been frowned upon by elder father-in-law. He was very concerned about keeping family business private. So she moved half way across the country when the father-in-law along with 2 of his sons moved. Isolation from home, only in-laws to keep you company. Wasn't long afterwards she committed suicide.

Another rumor has it that she picked up the telephone and found her husband was having an affair with another guy who used to live with them when they were teens. They were both, in their own way, a bit effeminate and rumors started. I'm gonna go with my sister's explaination of mental issues.

Other than that, who knows? Sometimes these things are covered up. I remember one guy got killed in a motorcycle accident when he ran into the back of a parked car. Suicide was being tossed around as a possibility, but who can say? When you're on a motorcycle, any accident is much more severe. It was supposedly late at night. He could have dozed off, sneezed, who knows? Maybe he was drunk. If I was gonna kill myself, an accident seems like a terrible way to go. First off, it's not guaranteed to be fatal. Is this a common form of suicide?

Another brother from the family mentioned above (brother-in-law's brother) also was in a wreck and I heard a rumor about no brake marks. Rumor was he was trying to commit suicide as well.

So, one confirmed JW. A cousin of mine commit suicide and a girl I used to work with. Both non JWs. So I don't know. My JW circle was smaller than my non-JW one, so 2 non-JWs to 1 JW. Maybe about the same average???

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

http://www.funeralfinder.com/obituaries/fosbenner-nathan/04-28-2012/

This one and one failed attempt.

The funeral was at the KH.

Was it a known suicide?

I personally know of 6 successful, and numerous other successfuls, and numerous severe unsuccessful.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonglobe/obituary.aspx?pid=143238930

I grew up with his older brother.

The brother of a friend of mine, in Florida, committed suicide a couple years ago. Not putting names as I heard one of his surviving brothers potentially work up.

One of my girlfriends had her brother-in-law committ suicide, leaving a child and wife behind. Fortunately, the whole family, including my friend, woke up a couple years ago (after shunning their apostate parents for years). Talk about an interesting story.

• TeenageInsider
    TeenageInsider

i was with my friend yesterday, were both gay and still "in"

he told me he knows of a 21 year old gay man, who killed himself because he could not handle being judged

my friend who told me contemplated suicide multiple times, and i have a feeling he even attempted.

its really sad and disturbing how we have to hide.

i know many gay Jws who are still in because were still teenagers... I have a saying:

"Theres an army of us, no guns, no ammo, just a sad white flag waving in the wind"

-Ti

• mouthy
    mouthy

ANOTHER ONE TWO DAYS AGO JESSIE MOOR OVER 30,SHOT HIMSELF

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I knew of five people.

• TeenageInsider
    TeenageInsider

GLAD TO SEE YOUR STILL FLAPPING YOUR LIPS, MOUTHY!

I MISSED YOU FOR A WHILE!

-Ti

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit